Old 05-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Airbags and better tires do not add to a vehicle's GVWR, or RAWR. A properly setup WDH should prevent sagging.
That's why I said, "right up the max" not over. I know nothing adds to the weight limits set by the manufacturer. Airbags and better tires just help relaize the maximum better, IMO.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #22

Hard for me to figure out what the MVCW is too. We have removable bucket seats rather than a bench seat in the second row. Could that be part of it? The seats are heavy - but they don't weigh 150 lbs each! Makes me realize we could remove them to lighten our load if needed! I am going to try to get my husband to go weigh the car empty this weekend and will post back if we do so. We can also use the learning experience on where and how to go about weighing.

I like the advice of going for the 4 point hitch - so we can use it if/when we upgrade again. Clearly we have begun the roll down the slippery slope. Wonder where it will end!

Old 05-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyTX View Post
Wonder where it will end!
Hopefully having fun like never before.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #24

Well - funny thing. I decided to clean out the garage this morning, partly to cope with the excitement of having decided to order the 2604 (and the long wait before we get it), and partly because the garage really, really needs it. In doing so I "discovered" the two other captains chairs that go into the Yukon to make a third row of seating. I had completely forgotten about them because they have been out of the vehicle so long. They are heavy, and I am betting they are part of the mystery regarding the difference between payload and that MVCW number on the car door. We will weigh the vehicle with and without them and see what we come up with.

Second funny thing - upon sharing this thread with husband when he got home, he says to me, "If we have to get a new TV it is OK because I have always wanted to have a truck anyway." That certainly makes it easier to go ahead with the 2604. Heck - maybe I should have argued for that Windjammer I also loved!

Anyway - now I have to figure out how to distract myself while waiting for the new TT. The dealer said end of June. Hope it isn't any longer.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

[QUOTE=NancyTX;196870In doing so I "discovered" the two other captains chairs that go into the Yukon to make a third row of seating. I had completely forgotten about them because they have been out of the vehicle so long. They are heavy, and I am betting they are part of the mystery regarding the difference between payload and that MVCW number on the car door. We will weigh the vehicle with and without them and see what we come up with.[/QUOTE]

The mystery option weight, maybe...

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 05-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #26

Nancy,

I don't think you'll have a problem with your set up. You're not really getting too close to your limits. We towed our Rockwood 8317SS with a 2008 Suburban 4 speed trans with 4.10 rear gear for the past few years near the limit. We switched to the Denali this year. Power should not be an issue. The 2011 Denali is rated at 7,300 GVWR, 8,100# max tow and 14,000# GCWR. We'll be close to the max on the GVWR and GCWR.
5Galvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #27

To 5Galvs - I enjoyed your "campsite".
Old 05-20-2012, 12:57 AM   #28

We weighed the Yukon today

It weighed 5590, with a full tank of gas and no people. The third row seats were removed, but the second row seats were in the car.

Running this through the calculators, it seems that after putting the people, the dog, the 110lb hitch, and 50 lbs of other misc in the car, we are limited to a hitch weight of 830 pounds. Any more than this and we exceed the vehicle GVWR of 7100.

If hitch weight is usually 13% of trailer weight, the trailer loaded needs to be no more than 6385lbs to ensure the tongue weighs no more than 830. While this is doable (we think the dry weight of delivered trailer will be about 5850) we will have to pack carefully. However, if hitch weight is only 12% of trailer weight, we have a lot more wiggle room. Can tongue weight be significantly influence by where things are placed in the trailer? How likely is it that we could get tongue weight down to 12% by loading in the back half of the trailer?

Secondly, a previous poster suggested that the rear axle weight may be the real limiting factor for us. My manual says the tongue weight may add more than 1 1/2 times its weight to the rear axle - for example that an 800 pound tongue could add 1200 pounds to the axle. If so, that will be a real problem for our car. Does the equalizer hitch help with this at all?

Thanks again for any info.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #29
Site Team - Lou

Can tongue weight be significantly influence by where things are placed in the trailer? How likely is it that we could get tongue weight down to 12% by loading in the back half of the trailer?

Yes, loading your camper will be a balancing act every time you go out until you get a feel for where everything goes. You can very likely get the 12% target if you work at it.

To avoid constantly going to the weigh station, you can create a weigh station of your own using the heavy duty scale method in the attachment.

Secondly, a previous poster suggested that the rear axle weight may be the real limiting factor for us. My manual says the tongue weight may add more than 1 1/2 times its weight to the rear axle - for example that an 800 pound tongue could add 1200 pounds to the axle. If so, that will be a real problem for our car. Does the equalizer hitch help with this at all?

The maximum tongue weight is that allowable amount of load that can be placed on the hitch attachment points; not the rear axle.

The amount of weight carried by each axle is determined by where the total load on your vehicle is placed. A weight distributing hitch will allow you to "carry" your tongue weight "distributed" among all the axles in contact with the ground; typically shifting the weight normally carried by the rear axle onto the front and camper axles.

The max camper and tongue weight we calculated REQUIRES a WD hitch. Get one with integrated sway control (like a 4 point Equil-i-zer hitch or similar). Make sure the rating on the hitch is higher that your maximum camper weight. Going way over could be problematic for you, since the larger capacity hitches are slightly heavier.

Equal-i-zer Hitch 1000/10000lbs Trailer Weight - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts

Or the 12,000 pound one

Equal-i-zer Hitch 1200/12000lbs Trailer Weight - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts

Remember that the weight of the hitch head is NOT part of the tongue load (part of the TV weight); but the bars and trailer frame clamps are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tonguescale.gif
Views:	72
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	14137  

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 05-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nancy,

Lots of ways to move your cargo around to effect the TW with some trailers being easier to load differently than others. You can also effect it by the volume in your tanks, depending where they are in relation to your trailer axles. For instance, my FW tank is right in front of my axles so a load of water will add TW.

As for the axle question, an 800 lb tongue weight with a weight distribution hitch cannot add 1200 lbs to the rear axle. It can only add up to 800lbs (no WDH or bars unhooked). With the WDH engaged, the load on the rear axle will be less than 800lbs. How much less depends on the tension on the bars with greater tension placing more force onto the truck's front axle and the trailer's axles. If you can revisit the towing calculator, than you can plug in your axle ratings and weights to be sure these are not overloaded.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad