Old 05-14-2019, 10:27 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
That's pretty low towing a 7500# trailer. I take it you are over that number by quite a bit.

babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:03 AM   #82
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
WOW!🤤 is all I can say.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:24 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
WOW!�� is all I can say.
I was trying to not be so dramatic.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:27 AM   #84

Babock why would you think that? 7500 pounds. Use a CAT scale to adjust WDH and loading to set tongue weight towards say 900 pounds IE 12.0 percent. (10 to 15 percent range) Leaves him 450 pounds where he would not be able to feel it if he was a couple percent over gvwr.

Focus on replacing unloaded steer weight & getting tongue weight in range and unless you have a grossly oversized trailer for your truck the rest will normally fall in place. That said you still verify it on your scale slip that you are also within Max drive axle, receiver, CVWR & GVWR. Now you have a safe & stable tow set up according to the auto manufacturer & the SAE.

The answer to what can my 1/2 ton tow; Generically whatever TT has a GVWR less than TVís max tow rating. Specifically is found on CAT scale via weight distribution with TV TT & WDH. Best motor & gearing all 5 Mfgs within specs IE safe & stable normally to 8k but passengers & bedload reduce this. RAM 1500 ED max tow 9,200, max axle ratings 3,900, max 09-18 CVWR 15,950, axle weights me & gear 3,240 steer 2,560 drive
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:57 AM   #85

What did you buy can't see name of vehicle.

TT: Purchased @2/1/19 Wildwood X Lite 230BHXL
Irobutterfly59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
Babock why would you think that? 7500 pounds. Use a CAT scale to adjust WDH and loading to set tongue weight towards say 900 pounds IE 12.0 percent. (10 to 15 percent range) Leaves him 450 pounds where he would not be able to feel it if he was a couple percent over gvwr.
200 lb driver...150 pound passenger in front. 2 100# passengers in rear. You are already at 550# and you haven't put anything in the truck bed yet!

The point is, that is VERY low for a 1/2T pickup truck.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:55 AM   #87

Help- Need a new Tow Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
That's pretty low towing a 7500# trailer. I take it you are over that number by quite a bit.

When Fully loaded for a 4+ days, about 300 over.

Most of the time we travel without firewood and use our propane pit along with not having water or generator cause itís a hook up site so about zeros the number.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:16 PM   #88

Fair enough your example puts him 100 pounds over. If gvwr is 7k that’s 1.5 percent over. My priority would be to keep the tongue weight but he could also drop tongue weight to 10 percent to free up another 150 pounds.

My point is we should put the emphasis on helping & showing people how to concretely set up a safe stable tow rig staying within Mfgr specs especially with respects to steer axle weight & tongue weight (dramatically affects stability)and including max drive axle, receiver, CVWR, & GVWR. Instead of focusing on one less critical spec (you could be 4-5 percent over gvwr and never feel it) and giving people no help or constructive direction.

I think many people who have never used a CAT scale to take an overweight (out of spec) white knuckle rig to within spec safe & stable. (That’s without removing a pound) put WAY too much emphasis on payload (for what?) instead of again actually helping them.

BTW. BikenDan I would like your thoughts on this.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #89
Site Team

Vern, I bow to your vast real world towing experience.
But as a retired firefighter/EMT, I saw way too many inexperienced people driving or towing over vehicle specs or their abilities.
You know how to handle that but the majority of RVers are not experienced towers.
So my opinions are really for the newbies or inexperienced.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:31 PM   #90

Don’t bow to me. I have no attitude towards anyone. It’s just things I see and perhaps naively hope to change over time on these forums. I know you often pipe in about payload with respects to Tundras & Ram 1500s. But I see them as competent as any other when looking into axle specs etc. More importantly I see payload always being addressed like it should be the focus. Well I get that it is typically the first spec to be exceeded but so what the things that help with it and other more important factors for stability & safety are not discussed.

As an EMT if you came to an RV accident the things that may have prevented the accident are not foremost addressed by payload or gvwr.

But rather primarily proper steer & tongue weight. Light steer weight is higher center of gravity skittish handling making for a roll prone rig when an emergency steer around occurs.

Too little tongue weight promotes a tow rig that accordions when pushed by semi bow wave instead of the truck and trailer only being pushed on & feeling if it is one solid unit so it easily gets pushed into sway. Plus leaves less than adequate traction on the drive tires.

Anyway I have no interest in berating anyone. I just want constructive change. You are a 17k post site team member. It takes people like you to affect & reinforce positive change. In this case it might start with recognizing that payload is secondary in resolving unsafe tow rig set ups. At minimum its Food for thought.

The answer to what can my 1/2 ton tow; Generically whatever TT has a GVWR less than TVís max tow rating. Specifically is found on CAT scale via weight distribution with TV TT & WDH. Best motor & gearing all 5 Mfgs within specs IE safe & stable normally to 8k but passengers & bedload reduce this. RAM 1500 ED max tow 9,200, max axle ratings 3,900, max 09-18 CVWR 15,950, axle weights me & gear 3,240 steer 2,560 drive

Tags
tow vehicle