Old 10-29-2015, 10:36 AM   #1
Help needed with towing capacity ram 2500 6.4

Hi all,

We are thinking about our retirement fifth wheel & after being to several dealers in the area & realizing that they really don't care about safety I thought I would turn to this forum. I have spent days searching & I apologize in advance if this is redundancy. Hubby has a 2014 ram 2500 6.4, 3.73 gears 6.5 box. Tires are LT 275/70r18. The towing pdf file I located for ram trucks says we have-GVWR of 10K, payload of 3280, base weight total of 6718-3876 front & 2843 rear. GAWR of 5500 front & 6000 rear-total GAWR of 19800 with the max trailer weight of 12610. After reading through pages of threads it appears that the fw hitch you install may help with the load. We are prepped for the hitch but have purchased nothing yet. The fw I keep going back to is the 2015 silverback 31rk has a dry weight of 10614, max payload of 3391 for a total of 14005 gvwr. The hitch weight is 2005. Bottom line is should we keep looking for a fw or would this combo work for us? Thanks in advance for any/all help.

rrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
The payload figure you found online is a base unit.

Look on the tire loading sticker on the door jamb for actual payload.

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:59 AM   #3
My personal opinion, it's too big for the truck. I have a 35 ft 5er, Silverback and tow with a dually. Pulled the same 5er with a 3/4 ton and I was over the GVWR and had a weight on my shoulders all the time. You should take the truck to a cat scale, weigh it with what you would carry in the truck, including passengers, coolers, approx. hitch weight, depending on the hitch, and anything else. Then add approx. 15-25% of the trailer weight, loaded and that's with water on board. That's about 3.8 lbs a gallon U.S. times 64 plus your water heater if that's not included in the 64 gallons fresh water. You will probably get replies that say go for it but IMHO, I wouldn't. The hitch won't help you with weight other than adding to the weight and you want to get a hitch that will take the weight of the 5er when loaded. It can be frustrating but do your homework and ask a lot of questions. Members will help out as much as possible.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:03 AM   #4
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
The payload figure you found online is a base unit.

Look on the tire loading sticker on the door jamb for actual payload.
This sticker looks something like this:

If you're going to adhere to the ratings on the truck, you'll run out of payload long before you hit anything else. Either of these should help you get started:

Weight Calculators - Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
i believe you will be over on GVWR and very close to payload on this setup. I own the same truck and I wouldn't want to tow this.
2015 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4l with 2015 Flagstaff 21FBRS
Wife, myself and 2 furry kids
Mountndream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:57 AM   #6
The OP choice of trailer is within specs of the truck as presented. Need real CCC to determine the actual capability.

If you don't load the trailer to full capacity it should be under. If you have a Ford F 250 the differences between that and F 350 is marginal, a block of steel when properly equipped. With the dodge there are some larger differences between a 2500 and 3500.

Up to you what you choose to do. Many here do it, I saw several 16,000 lb Cardinals behind F250's at Goshen, some say the rear differential will explode at 10 lbs over weight others say the law firm of Overweight and Over-payload will be calling. I am looking at similar weight unit for our next Fiver.

Good Luck making your own choice.
B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
I second mountndream. I also own the same truck and was in the exact same situation you were. Ultimately, decided if I wanted a 5th wheel, would need to trade the truck for a dually. Do yourself a favor and update your truck, and then get the 5th wheel you want. I know from experience that compromising on a trailer to stay in the weight limits will only end in frustration and regrets. Even being close to the maximum weight limits will lead to an uncomfortable drive. The last thing you want to do is spend the money to add the hitch, and then feel unsafe driving down the road.
craignhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:29 PM   #8
Over the last several years I have pulled fifthwheels a little longer than this one, but with about the same weight. I had a 2001 Ram 2500 Diesel long bed and it did fine after adding air bags and air bag pin box. Very smooth ride. Bought 2005 Ram 3500 Dually Diesel and it was much more stable pulling. It felt like it was on rails. The single rear wheel seemed to be little less stable when avoiding obstructions in road. Went to 2012 2500 gas 5.7 and little lighter fifthwheel. Only had 1500 tongue weight which is little light, but was 12,500 loaded. Gas pulled ok on flat ground but not nearly as well as others in Mountains. It also was even less stable than either of the Diesel trucks. I think less weight on front wheels had something to do with it. All had towing packages. Now am pulling with 15 Ford F250 Diesel. It is by far the best towing package yet. Only thing still miss the dual rear wheels as much easier to tow with it. Outside duals are the same width as the trailer tires and made easier for me to know where the trailer wheels were at all times. The single rear wheels are still not as stable in manuvering at high speeds which sill happen. These are just some of my thoughts on the same size unit as what you are looking at. I would feel comfortable with your rig. The newer trucks are fine tow vehicles compared to the little earlier models. they have very good trailer braking and transmission grade control also.
Ke5rbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:43 PM   #9
put your vin number on this site and you will get the numbers for your specific on "Look up my vehicle"

Ram Trucks - Towing Guide - Capacity Chart
LI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:14 PM   #10
go to

go to ram web site and look up towing if i remember it makes difference with rear gear ratings my 2013 ram hemi 3:92 gears 8 speed towed 10500 i went to diesel

locogk is offline   Reply With Quote

500, towing, towing capacity