Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
Pete

HELP!...on toad wiring issue

I'm leaving for Colo. in the morning. I was hooking up my 2008 Jeep Liberty to my motorhome- GT 378TS tonight. All lights have worked on prior trips.

When I plug the toad wiring plug into the motorhome plug I get only the right tail light to work. When I turn on the head lights, both tail lights are work. BUT, no brake or turn signal lights.

I puuled the shrouds on both the MH side and the toad side plugs and made sure all wires were screwed down tight. They are.

I went to CW to get magnetic tow lights as a stop-gap measure. Plugged those in, and no lights at all on the CW lights.

I need some help! Is there a fuse on the motorhome side that effects the MH plug for the toad plug?

Thanks in advance for ANY help.
gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:15 AM   #2

No fuses that I know of but there may be a diode or diode block which protects the motorhome system from voltage coming back from the toad. If diodes go bad it can have some wierd effects.

I had a similar situation with our Liberty last year. Tests of the pins on the motorhome side all showed good. Pluged in the umbilical cord and tested at the end of it where it plugs into our car and it tested good. Plug into car, no workie. Turned out to be a bad socket on the toad and a bad converter on that end. Since the motorhome puts out signal for left,right, and stop is both left/right together it has to be converted to separate outputs for left,right,stop with a converter.

I hate electrical problems, it always takes too much time to track them down and fix and it's usually never what you think it is. Be sure to check all ground wires very well as even a faulty ground connection on the toad end can cause all sorts of problems. That would probably be my first check.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a bad "GROUND" wire/connection to me. I have had similar things happen on a trailer, left turn would blink running lights, running lights would activate brakes lights, etc. Always turned out to be a bad ground. First check all the the lights on the motor home, the check all the lights on the toad, then connect them up, and double check ground connection.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote