Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #21

Although you are borderline on tongue weight to require a weight distribution hitch, you will find towing much more comfortable with one. I recommend an Equal-i-zer four point friction hitch. A Pro-pride or Hensley would be overkill.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #22

Here is Toyota's Towing Guide, which shows info on weighing your setup.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2014-nissan-towing-guide.pdf (973.3 KB, 22 views)
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeandpaul View Post
Hi Friends,

Although this is my first post, I’ve been lurking for a while. You’ve all helped me organize, shop for a new camper, and understand maintenance even when you didn’t know it!! I’ll apologize in advance for the long post that’s coming but we REALLY need help.

My husband and I are very new to the camping world, having just bought our first camper last September (A128S). Well, we love it so much (22 nights between 09/13-05/14) that we just upgraded in June to a Mini Lite 2306. The Nissan Xterra that had served us well since its birth 240,000 miles ago just wasn’t going to safely cut it for the Mini Lite so we also upgraded to a 2014 Nissan Titan w/ OEM tow package.

I’m here in hopes that all of you more experienced folks can give us some insight as towing the 2306 is SCARY. Scary to the point that Paul and I almost don’t want to travel with our trailer.

We experienced no sway or “white knuckle” moments with our Xterra/A128S combo but the Titan/2306 rig is downright nauseating. Our dealer is roughly 160 miles away from home. On 2306’s adoption day, there was some wiggle so we cruised home 50-55 and taking it easy with a brand new setup. Paul had a sway bar put on the following week thinking that it would eliminate the wiggle.

The next weekend, we set out for our week’s vacation. The drive to our final destination was about 250 miles. 30 miles in, Paul is feeling a little more comfortable and picks up some speed. At about 65 mph, the trailer took on a life of its own. He was able to control the swing and keep us alive but it was a harrowing moment. It ended up taking us nearly 8 hours to drive from Tampa to Jacksonville. Really.

The sway (understatement) is persistent at anything over 50 but becomes dangerously pronounced beyond 55. We both truly thought that Paul was just having a really hard time adjusting to the bigger truck and trailer until we asked my brother to come take her for a test drive.

My brother has been towing, literally, since he was old enough to drive. In addition, he’s had his CDL for 10+ years and drives a big rig every day. The guys went out last night so that my brother could feel what I was feeling in the passenger seat and could also drive to see if he could replicate the problems we’re having (this is code for ‘make fun of his brother-in-laws lack of driving ability’). He got it to around 57 and agreed that we have a problem. They even went so far as to swap out trailer/truck/Ranger boat combos to effectively eliminate one piece of equipment. The common factor is undoubtedly our trailer.
We have a friend that is towing his 2306 with a Traverse and is comfortably able to tow at 65 with no adverse wind conditions so we're REALLY confused.
It does look like our axles are bent some (if we put a 4’ level across it, the level doesn’t sit flush and you can see air between the axles and level in roughly the center) and they aren’t bent symmetrically but to be frank, I haven’t been digging around under a ton of trailers looking to see how much “bow” is normal (if at all).

Paul is calling our dealer today but I’m scared to death that we’re going to get a pat on the head and told that we’re just inexperienced. Something is wrong and if we can’t figure it out, I’m prepared to take a big loss and just be done. Not worth it.

ANY insight you guys can provide is welcome. We have also done the standard things (loosen/tighten sway, checked lug nuts, tire pressures, etc.).

-Diane & Paul

Can you post a pic of your setup on level ground ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenic53 View Post
Here is Toyota's Towing Guide, which shows info on weighing your setup.
Think you meant "Nissan?"

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Checked the manual and a wd hitch is recommended "if you plan to tow trailers with a maximum weight over 5,000 lbs." Thanks, everyone, for all of your suggestions so far. Hubby is going to be very busy measuring and weighing tonight! I'll take pictures and post tonight or tomorrow.

Max TC = 9,500
Max Tongue = 950
Good luck with it. Lots of members have done this themselves and a few have had dealer do it. I can swear that it will help.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #26
Professional Texan

I had a great dealer but they didn't seem to know squat about setting up my equalizer hitch. So after a white knuckle drive home I got out the tape measure and followed the manufacturers set up procedure and have never looked back.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #27

My bad. can't tell difference between the two when typing.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:10 PM   #28

So, my brother actually took off early work early to come over and problem solve. 4 loose wheel bearings. His words were "finger loose". They took all the wheels off, tightened and greased and took her back out. 70 without a problem. Both said they could feel the trailer but no more herky jerky. Both also noted that the sway bar made the ride smoother but that the bearings were the deal breaker.

We're still going to take the weights and make any other beneficial adjustments. Lesson learned, I suppose. Fortunately, this outcome was a positive one. Hubby will be calling dealer back in the morning.
dianeandpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:17 PM   #29

Help Please: Scary, Scary Towing

We have the 2306 and im towing with a Tundra, so a very similar setup as you... I use the equalizer 4-pt WDB/sway control and run right around 63-65mph. I haven't had even a slight wiggle with my setup... I literally have to remind myself it's back there. The 2306 does have somewhat of a light tongue weight. Make sure you're getting the proper weight up front... And tow with the bed up, not down.

The slight bow in your axle is normal... I was just under my unit this weekend and noticed it. No worries.

Edit: too slow to post. Great to hear you solved the problem.

2014 Rockwood 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
So, my brother actually took off early work early to come over and problem solve. 4 loose wheel bearings. His words were "finger loose". They took all the wheels off, tightened and greased and took her back out. 70 without a problem. Both said they could feel the trailer but no more herky jerky. Both also noted that the sway bar made the ride smoother but that the bearings were the deal breaker.

We're still going to take the weights and make any other beneficial adjustments. Lesson learned, I suppose. Fortunately, this outcome was a positive one. Hubby will be calling dealer back in the morning.
I would still make the measurements and check the wheel alignment I suggested just to be sure.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I would still make the measurements and check the wheel alignment I suggested just to be sure.
My brother checked this on his own when he got home today. He was sleepless last night. I think more so from not being able to conquer something than fear for loss of life. LOL Thank you SO much for the thoughtful advice.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #32

Great news Diane! Now it's time to convince you guys to forget about getting the kids prepped for school and come to Chassahowitzka with us!

FloridaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #33

Ha @ Phil. Silly kids ruining my good time!!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #34

Quote:
Ha @ Phil. Silly kids ruining my good time!!

Oh... I see the problem now. You were taking advice from Phil. Good thing you brought in an expert. Lol.

2014 Rockwood 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Old 07-14-2014, 09:15 PM   #35

Thanks for the vote of confidence Mark! I was the one that talked them into the 2306...so if it was a lemon, I would have been in the dog house!

FloridaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #36

You might want to think about following OC's advice/guidance.
Loyal Companion - Lucy our ever vigilant rescue.
libslowmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:28 PM   #37
Site Team - Lou

Number one cause of sway is cargo loading (light tongue to camper ratio).
Get the camper/tow vehicle weighed as mentioned previously.

Air pressure not correct for load is another. Over loaded and under pressured will sway like crazy.

Not having a WD hitch when it is required. Anytime the trailer weighs more than 150% of the TV weight, a WD hitch is needed.

Sway control will help with EXTERNAL causes of sway (like wind gusts/tractor trailer passing). It is no replacement for poor loading habits.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #38
Wayne & Kim

Hi Diane and Paul, I would definitely look into getting WDH. I went a similar route as you - started with a travel trailer with Chevy Avalanche and did my share of white knuckle driving, even with the WDH and sway bar in place. Too much camper for truck, so I traded in a car (DW kept the 'Lanche) for an F250, and got a MUCH better ride out of it. Had to adjust the hitch, bars, etc for the higher vehicle, but with the WDH bars properly in place I didn't get the sag and thus much less sway. When on interstate I still felt some when big trucks come by and/or crosswinds we would still get some sway, but nothing compared to how it was before. I would not have dreamed of towing that TT without a WDH.

BTW, we ended up towing our TT from Jax (well, just north of there) to Tampa (technically Seffner) and had a pretty good ride. But we took it down there to go to LazyDays to trade in the TT for a 5th wheel. Sounds like we are sorta neighbors in North Florida. If I can offer any advice, let me know. We've been towing for about a year and a half so still newbies to a degree but have learned a lot, and are willing to share. PM if you like to exchange numbers, etc.

Wayne

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2011 Ford F250 King Ranch 4x2 Diesel, added springs
Nights camped: 2014 - 32; 2013 - 23
Wayne & Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #39

Quote:
You might want to think about following OC's advice/guidance
Yep! Did this and we're good to go.

Quote:
Hi Diane and Paul, I would definitely look into getting WDH. I went a similar route as you - started with a travel trailer with Chevy Avalanche and did my share of white knuckle driving, even with the WDH and sway bar in place. Too much camper for truck, so I traded in a car (DW kept the 'Lanche) for an F250, and got a MUCH better ride out of it. Had to adjust the hitch, bars, etc for the higher vehicle, but with the WDH bars properly in place I didn't get the sag and thus much less sway. When on interstate I still felt some when big trucks come by and/or crosswinds we would still get some sway, but nothing compared to how it was before. I would not have dreamed of towing that TT without a WDH.

BTW, we ended up towing our TT from Jax (well, just north of there) to Tampa (technically Seffner) and had a pretty good ride. But we took it down there to go to LazyDays to trade in the TT for a 5th wheel. Sounds like we are sorta neighbors in North Florida. If I can offer any advice, let me know. We've been towing for about a year and a half so still newbies to a degree but have learned a lot, and are willing to share. PM if you like to exchange numbers, etc.
Thanks! We are getting the WDH next week!

Quote:
Number one cause of sway is cargo loading (light tongue to camper ratio).
Get the camper/tow vehicle weighed as mentioned previously.

Air pressure not correct for load is another. Over loaded and under pressured will sway like crazy.

Not having a WD hitch when it is required. Anytime the trailer weighs more than 150% of the TV weight, a WD hitch is needed.

Sway control will help with EXTERNAL causes of sway (like wind gusts/tractor trailer passing). It is no replacement for poor loading habits.
Thanks! We're going to run the weights as well. We truly run pretty light and we load evenly in front of and behind the axles. Don't know that we have enough crap loaded in the rear to make a difference if we moved it forward. Will move stuff around when we're weighing. Tire pressure is good all around. The last test drive was a night and day difference so hopefully we're on the right track!
Old 07-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #40
Site Team

Sounds like you are on the right path for correcting this issue.

I have a light weight TT which I never tow it without the anti sway and WDH attached. Once my TT was towed into the dealership and the tow truck driver didn't see the need of using the equipment so he towed it without. Towards the end of the trip I met up with the tow truck and could see the trailer wagging all over the lane as he took turns. My B-I-L also don't think I need this for towing but I know otherwise. If nothing else I have a bit of overkill on safety.

Please do keep us updated.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing