Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 01:01 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Please; I would not start moving stuff around until I had a baseline.

Without accurate weights, how do you know if you are in the safe zone for weight distribution?

Remember 10-15% of travel trailer weight on the tongue is a RANGE. Too much is just as bad as too little. 12.5% (PRE-Weight Distribution) is "optimum" for good, safe handling.

Too little, trailer will fishtail; too much and it can swap ends in a panic stop. You want the "Goldilocks" solution; Just Right ...
This is correct. Very important for you to get your tongue weight adjusted correctly. I used to shoot for around 13% loaded tongue weight. Once your trailer has the desired loaded tongue weight, you will want to adjust your hitch to get your truck front axle back as close to unhitched weight as possible without going heavier. This should help. It also sounds like you have a basic hitch with the separate sway bar, not the integrated sway control version. If this is true then you need to upgrade your hitch to one either integrated sway control (ie Reese dual cam, equal-I-zero etc) as the single sway bar is better for tt less than 26'. If you can't afford the hitch upgrade, then get 2 sway bars. This can help.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:10 PM   #42

We had a serious sway problem with a 26' Coachman Catalina. We could not go above 50 mph without swaying all over the road. We had a WDH and dual cam sway control. I had to explain what the dual cam sway control was and the dealer ordered it for me (first clue). We asked the dealer about checking the trailer alignment and they did not know that could be done (second clue). Our remedy was to trade it in on a 30' Cougar. Problem solved and it pulled like a dream. Sometimes you just get a bad product and no amount of fixes are going to cure the problem.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:06 PM   #43

I have experienced the same swaying problem and corrected it by increasing the tung weight, it has to be grater than the trailer tires.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:05 PM   #44

Vehicle sway

I bought a different vehicle, but same camper and had a sway problem like you described. (first time out with new Yukon XL) Anyway, to our campground we had to pass by the dealer we buy our campers from, so we stopped in. The manager checked for proper loading, etc.....All OK.

Then he asked me the rear tire pressure and I said exactly what is recommended......THAT WAS THE PROBLEM! FILL THE REAR TIRES TO THE MAXIMUM RATED LOAD PRINTED ON THE SIDEWALL!!!!

The side walls are not "stiff enough" when inflated to the recommended pressure and flex when you have a camper behind. Remember the vehicle mfg don"t want complaints about a rough ride.

The dealer inflated the rear tires to the max pressure....We left and when on the highway...ZERO SWAY!

I was surprised this was not suggested on previous posts.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:35 PM   #45
Site Team - Lou

Great point about tires. Most SUVs today ship with "P" rated tires for a comfortable ride. The maximum pressure on P tires is 44 PSI (with a "recommended" at 35-36 PSI).

You will find if you are loaded heavy that is not near enough support. Going with "LT" Light Truck tires of the proper load range for the maximum rear axle load of your tow vehicle will give you a more stable tow (but a bit stiffer drive to work).
Old 05-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy View Post
My vote is for the Equal-I-zer hitch. Had one and they work great at eliminating the sway. Plus they are much cheaper than the previously mentioned unit. They are very easy to unhook and store.
X2, equalizer 4 point.
As others have stated,,, Fill the E's to max pressure for the rear. I run 80 rear, 75 front.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:21 PM   #47

Ok update..... I did not make it to the scales but... I did install a brand new 17500 curt TruTrack Trunnion Bar Weight Distribution System CURT Manufacturing - CURT TruTrack Trunnion Bar Weight Distribution System #17500
and with 2 hours of adjustment the camper is level within less than 1/4 of an inch (33ft camper) truck is right on. Only reason I went with the curt is because my father works at an auto parts store and this was in-stock and told me to try it if it didn't make things better I could bring it back. It towed better I would say by 50% . I still think its something wrong with the truck causing the "float" . I know I said I would make it to the scales this weekend but didn't. I will do my best to get there this week.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:51 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansundermeyer View Post
Ok update..... I did not make it to the scales but... I did install a brand new 17500 curt TruTrack Trunnion Bar Weight Distribution System CURT Manufacturing - CURT TruTrack Trunnion Bar Weight Distribution System #17500
and with 2 hours of adjustment the camper is level within less than 1/4 of an inch (33ft camper) truck is right on. Only reason I went with the curt is because my father works at an auto parts store and this was in-stock and told me to try it if it didn't make things better I could bring it back. It towed better I would say by 50% . I still think its something wrong with the truck causing the "float" . I know I said I would make it to the scales this weekend but didn't. I will do my best to get there this week.
Good choice. It's a modern hitch, has a good reputation and very good sway control. I believe once it is set up properly (sounds to me that you are already there) you'll be very happy with it. I'm an old guy but I have about 60 years towing experience so I'll give some advice for what it is worth: Never be in a hurry when towing. Keep your speed down to between 60 and 65 and get a good trailer tire monitor. The TST 507 is what I have and I recommend it highly. Here is a link to the system:
https://tsttruck.com/product/507-starter-system-kit/

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
Old 05-30-2017, 12:40 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I actually would disagree that over 15% is "just as bad" as under 10%. The 10%-15% range is considered a minimum range, sometimes 10% is not enough and you need 15%. 20% assuming you are in all the limits of your truck and hitch will be 100 times better than 5%. The 15% number is more for really big stuff that any more would be way over the rear GVW or the hitch rating. Running 1000 pounds tounge on a 5000 pound trailer with a big truck will tow like a dream but that's 20%. Running 250 pounds or 5% on the same trailer will be a handful.
I agree but also, be sure you are transferring enough of that tongue weight to the front wheels. AND be aware that the trailer can be induced to sway if the front end is floating about. And even with a near perfect wdh setup, Chasing the road with a front end slightly out of proper toe in alignment will get the trailer moving back n forth too.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:29 AM   #50

Quote:
Someone please please help I'm to the point of desperation. I have a 2001 f250 extend cab short bed 4x4 7.3 and a 2017 forestriver wildwood 263bhxl 32.5ft. When towing the camper unloaded my truck has serious sway it's all over the place. It's to the point it's unsafe to travel with it. This is not a enexperince issue I have 20+ years towing. Now I do have load control and sway bar. But the sway feels if the rear end of the truck is sliding on ice. New parts to the truck - tires,steering gear, sway bar links, shocks, sway continued thought it was my new tires so I got another set (both are load range e 10 ply) still have the same issue. This only happens when I'm towing this trailer. Just the truck it drives straight, lighter trailer it drives straight. I have a 600 mile trip in a month that we have been so excited for I have to get this fixed. Anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.
Please Please look at the Youtube videos from Husky Centerline!
I am driving one handed with trucks wizzing by me at 70 an only feel very tiny pressure as they go by... It will Solve Your Sway Problems!
If you need more info let me know or call Husky Centerline they having amazing staff!

Rhody
Old 05-30-2017, 05:50 AM   #51

Quote:
Go to the Hensley or Propride type hitch. All this you mentioned WILL BE GONE.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:14 AM   #52

Zak1,so you are saying that a trailer with ZERO to Low TW will handle Perfect with a Hen/Pro Hitch? Youroo!!
Old 05-30-2017, 09:57 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Zak1,so you are saying that a trailer with ZERO to Low TW will handle Perfect with a Hen/Pro Hitch? Youroo!!
My best guess is that it would because the designs of these hitches prevent the trailer from moving the truck at all.

That said, I believe it's essential to set up whatever WDH you use correctly, and part of that is getting the trailer properly packed with 10-15% of the GVW on the tongue.

Stated another way, balance the trailer first. Don't depend on a hitch system to correct problems with setup.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Old 05-30-2017, 05:11 PM   #54

Quote:
Drink the Kool Aid, don't ask questions.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:52 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restcure View Post
My best guess is that it would because the designs of these hitches prevent the trailer from moving the truck at all.

That said, I believe it's essential to set up whatever WDH you use correctly, and part of that is getting the trailer properly packed with 10-15% of the GVW on the tongue.

Stated another way, balance the trailer first. Don't depend on a hitch system to correct problems with setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
Drink the Kool Aid, don't ask questions.
Nope.

Ask the questions, find the answers, get the setup right. Then try the water. If you don't care for the taste... THEN you can drink the Kool-Aid.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Old 05-30-2017, 06:12 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restcure View Post
Nope.

Ask the questions, find the answers, get the setup right. Then try the water. If you don't care for the taste... THEN you can drink the Kool-Aid.

Sheeesh...
Old 05-30-2017, 06:16 PM   #57
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
Sheeesh...
X2

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Old 05-30-2017, 06:18 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
X2
You guys are a lot of help I see! lol
Old 05-31-2017, 05:29 AM   #59

Quote:
Perfectly? maybe, maybe not? Much better and safer than what he's got?
YES. I just recently rented a brand new tt (similar to the weight of my Vlite, 7700 lbs) from the same dealer for a customer golf event. They had to install a new Equalizer hitch on my 2016 F150 for me to tow it to the event (45 miles each way, mostly freeway). I watched them install, calibrate and get the nose of the truck back to the original space between the tire and fender. they did a perfect job.

Got on the freeway and unfortunately I was right back to being sucked in when even mini vans passed me (I was going 60 in a 65 mph zone). After several white knuckle moments I was so glad to get it to the event and dropped off.

This again reaffirmed my good decision to go with the Propride on my personal tt.....
Old 05-31-2017, 05:33 AM   #60

Quote:
BTW Youroo to follow up on my last post,

Every turn with the rented tt and Equalizer hitch, I was reminded how loud and kind of embarrassing the screeching and clunking noises from the weight dist bars have....
Closed Thread

Tags
sway, towing