Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2019, 12:36 AM   #21

I never exceed 80% of max tow capacity or GVWR. I like having a little safety margin.

Of course some figure that the manufacturer will fudge the numbers lower to avoid lawsuits and then they use that fudge factor. I am not one of them.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZ406 View Post
Not only did I get the info from the Chevy dealership I also got the info from my brother-in-law who has towed several trailers over the many years and the rule of thumb is 20% of your total weight capacity. I also researched it and it says to safely tow any trailer that you don't want To max out you vehicle when it comes to braking. Some states require it when you tow a trailer either a fifth wheel or a travel trailer or any other trailers. Every place I check said 20 to 25% of max tow capacity. Me, I just like to be safe for me and my family as well as others on the road. The best thing anyone can do is just look it up.

Wanting to remain safe or having your own % of what you feel is safe when towing is great. 75%-99% of towing capacity are all very reasonable. 20% of your total weight capacity wouldn’t even allow you to drive your own vehicle. 20% of tow capacity would leave my dually limited to 3,700 . Loaded my 5th wheel weighs 15k. I would assume it would take a semi to tow it using the 20% rule. If Chevy used any percentage other than their stated/ advertised tow capacity. They most likely would have buyers of HD trucks sign a waiver. Stating that while we advertised safe towing a xxxxx pounds you can only safely tow xx% .

Tags
towing, trailer