Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2019, 06:14 AM   #1

Help...which hitch to match my Turning point

Thanks.... want to use wedge with Turning Point on new 5th ... what do you have ... Thanks and who uses the Anderson on there 5.7 or 6.4 bed I know that locks out the wedge... thanks ... one more ? anyone heard the Anderson voids any warranty?
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:52 AM   #2
Always Learning

You would want to reach out to either the manufacturer of your camper or Lippert to find out if using the Andersen hitch will void the frame warranty. I've heard mixed reports on that. Supposedly Andersen has an guarantee for $X-million that if their hitch breaks your frame, that they'll pay for it. But, I feel like that's a slippery blame slope.

I assume the Turning Point is Lippert's version of the Reese Revolution / Sidewinder and is a turning hitch. If that's the case, I know you cannot use the B&W that connects to a gooseneck. B&W specifically forbids it since it's too much force on the single attachment point. I love their hitches so I'd either look for puck-mount (if your truck supports it) or the B&W Patriot that connects to standard rails.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:18 PM   #3

I love my Anderson and have towed with two different short bed trucks and two separate 5th wheels. never heard anything about a voided warranty.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
You would want to reach out to either the manufacturer of your camper or Lippert to find out if using the Andersen hitch will void the frame warranty. I've heard mixed reports on that. Supposedly Andersen has an guarantee for $X-million that if their hitch breaks your frame, that they'll pay for it. But, I feel like that's a slippery blame slope.

I assume the Turning Point is Lippert's version of the Reese Revolution / Sidewinder and is a turning hitch. If that's the case, I know you cannot use the B&W that connects to a gooseneck. B&W specifically forbids it since it's too much force on the single attachment point. I love their hitches so I'd either look for puck-mount (if your truck supports it) or the B&W Patriot that connects to standard rails.
I spoke with B&W I can use the Patriot ... Thanks
Old 02-02-2019, 05:21 PM   #5
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I use the Andersen on my GMC std (6.6') bed and it is great. Andersen's $2 Million frame guarantee is documented on their website. It's an insurance policy they have had in place for at least 5 years. According to a senior Andersen exec I spoke with they have never had a claim.

There are several youtube videos showing the Andersen on a short bed truck.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
I use the Andersen on my GMC std (6.6') bed and it is great. Andersen's $2 Million frame guarantee is documented on their website. It's an insurance policy they have had in place for at least 5 years. According to a senior Andersen exec I spoke with they have never had a claim.

There are several youtube videos showing the Andersen on a short bed truck.
My Ram is a 6.4 bed and I am about 90% I will use the Anderson ... where did you mount the locking handle? Thanks
Old 02-03-2019, 11:38 AM   #7

I mounted it on the side of the pinbox just below where the brake release is mounted. Cable loops over the pinbox and handle faces the trailer. Easy to reach because it's on driver side and loop does not link as you might fear.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
Old 02-03-2019, 02:13 PM   #8

You mentioned the turning point. I think that eliminates the Anderson.

I have a ram short bed. 6'4' or so.

My Cedar creek dose not have a highly shaped nose on it.

However the Anderson works well. Easy on and off.

I can get to 90 degrees which you should not do as it stresses tires and probably other items.

I have not yet mounted the release cable. Not necessary. I may turn the Anderson adapter around..
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:03 PM   #9

some one mentioned a voided warranty ???https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/...-warranty.aspx
Old 02-04-2019, 04:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
I mounted it on the side of the pinbox just below where the brake release is mounted. Cable loops over the pinbox and handle faces the trailer. Easy to reach because it's on driver side and loop does not link as you might fear.
Thanks ... can you see the ball when you are backing up the hook up??
Old 02-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
some one mentioned a voided warranty ???https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/...-warranty.aspx
I have a 'fold-a-cover' 4-panel tonneau cover that when folded is 4 panels high/thick and thus keeps me from seeing the ball as I approach the final connect. In the beginning I used to set an object (hammer handle etc.) on top of the center of the pinbox and I'd lay something similar on top of the folded tonneau cover center. Then I'd just line them up while looking thru the back window using those two handles as guides and I was able to line it up with pretty good accuracy.

Since Andersen came out with a revised pinbox adapter that uses an inverted funnel (means you don't have to get exactly under it, its about a 5" funnel) I know longer bother with the guides and seldom do I miss on backup that I have to re-do. Once that pinbox funnel settles down on top of the ball it slides on into the hole. The following very short video shows the original funnel in action, the photo shows the current model which is a composite red material.

Andersen Funnel in Action
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RedFunnel.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	196178  

Tags
hitch