Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #1

Help with Blue Ox Sway Pro

New to this and before I can pick up our trailer I need to select a hitch. Trying to select between Blue Ox, Reese SC, Equalizer, or Anderson and was hoping to get some info from folks who have used the Blue Ox. Since I don’t have the trailer yet I’ll use worse case numbers for a Flagstaff Micro Lite 25KS and figure on pulling 6000 pounds with tongue weight of 800 using an F150 with Max tow. Were you satisfied with the hitch? Any struggle hooking up or disconnecting? Any restrictions for sharp turns forward or backing up? How noisy is it? And since I won’t see 60 again about how heavy is the hitch head?

Any help with narrowing this down would be greatly appreciated, thanks again.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:19 AM   #2

I have a Blue Ox and love it. Very good sway control and no issues backing or turning. The head is a bit heavy but my wife can install the whole thing by herself.

Tim
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
Experienced Newbie

I love my SwayPro. I haven't heard a sound from it in the 2 years I've owned it.

No restriction on backing up.

Easy to operate/hookup. I'm sure the rotating latches would make my life a little easier, but I haven't found a reason that I have to switch.

I think my hitch head weighs in around 75 #. I can weigh it when I get home tonight. Although, mine may be heavier as they have redesigned the head since I got mine

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #4
Somewhat right of center

I have a 5th wheel (1 year) but had the Blue Ox for the TT last year. It's still in my shed. Great product but....I did use a hand truck to move the hitch head to tow vehicle. It's a beast. X2 what the guys above me said about maneuverability.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #5

Whew, thanks everyone. Not getting any younger so that weight has just become a major concern. Well, back to the drawing board, guess I'll do more research on the Equalizer. Again, thanks for your help.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:46 PM   #6

I've found a product that will help with carrying the VERY heavy hitch head of the blue ox sway pro. Mine is rated for 10000 lbs so not sure if that's any heavier than the 8000 lb one. Although I have not tried this product yet it looks to be helpful. I will be purchasing it in the future for sure, unless anyone else has tried it and found it useless.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...itchgrip/75569
rsibarra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #7

Don't let the weight of the Blue Ox deter you...this is a very well designed and robust unit. It will serve you well...easy to use and maintain. Recommend without reservation.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:14 PM   #8
Wanna Be Camper

I don't find my Blue Ox any heavier than my old no name or my BIL's hitch. I have had both the snap up brackets and now the rotary latches and I love the rotary latches especially with our V-Lite as I have the dent in the nose to show what a snap up bracket can do. If you get the rotary latches I would recommend getting a 14 or so inch breaker bar and the proper sized socket as the wrench they give you is a joke IMO. I have backed up and turned pretty sharp with it all hooked up and no noise at all.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:03 AM   #9
Somewhat right of center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisano View Post
Whew, thanks everyone. Not getting any younger so that weight has just become a major concern. Well, back to the drawing board, guess I'll do more research on the Equalizer. Again, thanks for your help.
Whoa, don't give up on it. Let me be clear about my situation. I used a hand truck cause I had it stored in the backyard shed about 80 ft from tow vehicle and I have some back issues. If it's a few feet I'll just carry it. If anything, it's not fun to carry more than 15 ft. Just don't drop it on your foot.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:48 AM   #10

I use a Anderson hitch, can pick the head up with one hand, shipping weight around 65#. I pull a trailer that weighs around 8000# ready to go camping and have not had any problems, & has sway control built in. I have used this hitch for the last three years

Rich
rich1902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #11
fmc

We have been using the Blue Ox for about a year. It still amazes me that it can eliminate ALL the sway on our rig. I have never had a hitch that works so well!
fmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:19 AM   #12

I have used the Propride for 2 years. The Propride stays attached to the trailer. The “stinger” is the only part removed and it joins the hitch to the receiver. When not in use, I store the stinger in the underneath back seat storage. Sway – there is none with the Propride.
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #13

Thanks again everyone and I haven't given up yet. That hitch carry handle sure looks interesting. I talked to a Blue Ox rep and he said the new hitch design weighs less the original and should be about 50 pounds for the new head. BUt then the new design eliminates the flexibility of all the adjustments the old one had.

Anybody with the new design - does that seem about right?

He also said the WD should distribute 2/3 of the actual tongue weight to the TV - about 40% on the front axle and the rest on the rear? How's that sound?

And does this hitch reduce some of the bounce?
Old 03-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #14

I bought mine in the beginning of 2013, not sure if that's the new model, but it eliminates EVERYTHING! I love this hitch, I've pulled trailers all my life and even pulling a 35' trailer with my 1500 ram I hardly notice I'm towing. This is the perfect hitch.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #15

RSIBARRA, sorry for not getting back. From what I've been told the old hitch has a bolt to adjust the dowward angle of the hitch and two side bolts to adjust the sway tension on the bars. If you happen to notice this I would be interested in whether you had the old or the new style?
Old 03-19-2014, 09:23 PM   #16

Ahh, if the old style has the adjusting bolt then I have the new one for sure. I noticed on the instructions it mentioned an adjustment bolt but I was confused as mine did not have one, I thought I had a defective part, but it is a new style. But back to your question, I'm not sure about the exact weight of the hitch itself but I am pretty positive that the overall shipping weight of the sway bars, head and rotating latches was 75lbs. So one would assume, the hitch itself should be around 50.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #17

I'm still interested in this product also, to possibly lessen the strain of my back and make it easier to install into the hitch.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsibarra2010 View Post
I've found a product that will help with carrying the VERY heavy hitch head of the blue ox sway pro. Mine is rated for 10000 lbs so not sure if that's any heavier than the 8000 lb one. Although I have not tried this product yet it looks to be helpful. I will be purchasing it in the future for sure, unless anyone else has tried it and found it useless.

HitchGrip - Lmd Products Inc HG-712 - Hitches & Hitch Bars - Camping World
Let us know how that puppy works !! I may have another item for "wish list".

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, sway