Old 08-22-2012, 12:23 AM   #1

Help with Blue Ox WDH

Has anyone expereinced problems with the Blue Ox Sway Pro. I had one that was defective. The bolts to regulate sway stripped after two trips and would stay tight creating a white knuckle drive all the way home. When the unit was returned and replaced it came with a new "old" style hitch that did not have the bolts along with a one page press release that Blue Ox was going back to the tilted head design and scrapping the sway bolts. On my first trip with the new "old" hitch I was all over the road. I pack very light as it was a short trip so I am sure it did not have anything to do with the packing weight. I have a Palomino 29QBS-K. My TV is a Ford F-150 Ecoboost with towing package and 3.73. I have an appointment at the dealership on Thursday. I think I want to change to the Reese Dual Cam. I have read many of the posts on this forum over the past three days about WDH. Just curious if others have had problems with Blue Ox.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #2

I'd check out the Equil-i-zer brand hitch or Fastway E2 equivelent friction bars. They both get rave reviews and are easy to use. If I had not got the Curt round bar thrown in w/installation, I would have gone with the Equil-i-zer.
The Reese Dual Cam is a good system as well. Just tossing the other heavy hitters into the mix for consideration.

'12: 27
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:06 AM   #3

I use a husky centerline wd hitch. Very happy with it. Similar to equ-I-liser design.

Then there's Hensley and pro pride.

Many options if you're looking at replacement...

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #4

Blue Ox

Thanks I've read a ton on this forum about other WDH. Really curious about other 's experiences with the Blue Ox Sway Pro. Not much recent material out there on that hitch.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #5

Sway Pro opinion...

We tow our Surveyor SP-240 using a Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH. Works perfectly and eliminates or mitigates all sway. If you are referring to the bolts which adjust the friction on the WD sway bars, be aware that they should only be tightened with a torque wrench. The bolts are set at 40 ft. lbs. at the factory, and you can tighten them up to around 90-100 ft. lbs. We have torqued ours to 50 ft. lbs. and it works just fine for us. The Blue Ox is a very robust and well designed product. It WILL work if your have the correct set of bars installed for the weight of your TT and have set up your hitch properly. Good luck!
Barker 3500 Tongue Jack
DW & a feisty Border Terrier named Painter
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #6

Thanks they have recently eliminated the fiction control sway bolts and have gone back to their old design of just a tilted head. I liked my hitch with the friction bolts but when one snapped and stripped Blue Ox replaced it with the new "old" tilted hitch. Hasn't worked well since.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #7

I use the Blue Ox, and I have not had a issue yet. It works great for me.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #8

There is a pretty lengthy write-up on the new design of the Blue Ox hitch on RV.net. I would check it out as it may answer your question. Look in the Towing sub-forum for the thread titled "Getting Rid of my Dual Cam System." the relevant info is a couple pages into that thread.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #9
Experienced Newbie

The only "problem" I've had with my SwayPro so far is that one of the friction control bolts got a little loose. Other than that, I've experienced no problems or sway even with large semi-trucks passing at high speed.

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #10

I think the OP's issue is that Blue Ox changed the design of their hitch. He had their older style but when it needed serviced it was replaced with their newer style which no one has any experience with yet.

punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox