Old 09-17-2016, 09:28 AM   #1

Help with hitch set up

I read this whole thread and have a couple of questions. Newbie hear just set up my WD hitch (equalizer E4 10k). Took our first maiden voyage with a GW 17BH. Only about 25 miles from home. After setting it up with a tape measure, measurements seem to be good but can feel a little sway at 55-60mph. Set it up the way dealer mechanic said and also read EQ instrucions. After set up front fender was raised about 3/8" rear dropped about 1". On the front though there was only about a 1/2" of difference between truck alone and TV with TT with NO WD. My truck sits ass high out of the factory. about 1-2" higher than front. Have a 2015 GMC Canyon 4wd ( it actually has a cargo carring cappacity of 1500lbs so its a mini 3/4 ton lol). The trailer is 522 dry tongue weght and total of 4150 dryI figure with 40 lbs propane and battery I'am breaking 600# tongue so I went with the EQ 10k. Does the weight of the hitch add to tonque weight? it is a 100lbs. Any way I feel that with the rear high stance would that mean that I need to add extra washers to rivet pin to get proper angel. Any suggestions? I will also beef up my air pressure some on both TV and TT since both are in the lower part of their range and take it from there.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boborc View Post
I read this whole thread and have a couple of questions. Newbie hear just set up my WD hitch (equalizer E4 10k). Took our first maiden voyage with a GW 17BH. Only about 25 miles from home. After setting it up with a tape measure, measurements seem to be good but can feel a little sway at 55-60mph. Set it up the way dealer mechanic said and also read EQ instrucions. After set up front fender was raised about 3/8" rear dropped about 1". On the front though there was only about a 1/2" of difference between truck alone and TV with TT with NO WD. My truck sits ass high out of the factory. about 1-2" higher than front. Have a 2015 GMC Canyon 4wd ( it actually has a cargo carring cappacity of 1500lbs so its a mini 3/4 ton lol). The trailer is 522 dry tongue weght and total of 4150 dryI figure with 40 lbs propane and battery I'am breaking 600# tongue so I went with the EQ 10k. Does the weight of the hitch add to tonque weight? it is a 100lbs. Any way I feel that with the rear high stance would that mean that I need to add extra washers to rivet pin to get proper angel. Any suggestions? I will also beef up my air pressure some on both TV and TT since both are in the lower part of their range and take it from there.

One valuable lesson I learned this week. Make sure you are fully loaded for camping when you take your measurements. I had mine adjust perfect then loaded up to head out and had to add another washer. I didn't feel like I added that much stuff but it adds up quickly.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastalkintn View Post
One valuable lesson I learned this week. Make sure you are fully loaded for camping when you take your measurements. I had mine adjust perfect then loaded up to head out and had to add another washer. I didn't feel like I added that much stuff but it adds up quickly.
I was loaded to go. Stopped at the firehouse down the road a bit from my house, Thier parking lot seemed pretty level so I did the final set up there. I just think the high rear stance is affecting something. Just want to confirm it with someone with knowledge of these things.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Have a 2015 GMC Canyon 4wd ( it actually has a cargo carring cappacity of 1500lbs so its a mini 3/4 ton lol).
Except that 3/4 tons these days are good for a lot more than 3/4 tone. Mine's good for 2906 lbs.

1/2, 3/4, 1 ton hasn't meant anything in a very long time!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Except that 3/4 tons these days are good for a lot more than 3/4 tone. Mine's good for 2906 lbs.

1/2, 3/4, 1 ton hasn't meant anything in a very long time!
Hence the lol
Old 09-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #6

Quote:
I was loaded to go. Stopped at the firehouse down the road a bit from my house, Thier parking lot seemed pretty level so I did the final set up there. I just think the high rear stance is affecting something. Just want to confirm it with someone with knowledge of these things.
Your TV rear bumper should be the same height as when your not hitched up. It will keep your alignment true and keep it from trying to center itself as you go down the road.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:57 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Unless you have LD D or E tires on your truck, you will get sway with the P tires, regardless of the pressure. Your front end should be within 1/4" of the no trailer height when you are hooked up to the trailer.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:12 PM   #8

I stopped in the lot on the way home today and re-checked the set-up. Since my front only moves about a half to 3/4" I have been using rear wheel measurements. TV by its self 36" with TT loaded 33 7/8 " No WD. When I left the set-up was at 35" rear. From what I heard half way is supposed to be good. The Dealer mechanic also said you want the rear to take some weight. I moved the L brackets up 1 hole and now I have 35 5/16. Seems better took it for a spurt on the hiway. Still could feel a touch of sway in my seat at 62mph. Maybe I'm being over sensitive. I also installed those plastic/rubber sleeves on the L brackets to cut down on the noise.(https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...1-5150.htmlbut)
Now reading the package they say that they will reduce friction a little. Does anyone else use these?
Old 09-19-2016, 08:33 AM   #9
Newly Retired

WDH settings

Reading about your measurements, reminds me of my original setup with my, Husky Centerline hitch. I over compensated with the hitch trying to obtain the recommended results. That made hitch up a real chore with so much stress on the springs. I readjusted to allow some rear sag, this had no affect on handling at all. However my tuck is a 2500HD.
I think that simply looking at the hitched up rig from a distance, when parked on a level surface is how you should evaluate your setup. If it doesn't look, out of whack, and drives fine then your good to go. Also, if you realize some sway in your travels, you may need to add and anti-sway device, since some weight distribution hitches is do not offer much help in that area.
Enjoy
Old 09-19-2016, 01:17 PM   #10

I have one question. I will head to scales before my next trip. Just wondering when they say weigh/measure tv by its self, is that with the WD hith on the tv or nothing at all? The hitch its self is a hundred lbs hanging off the back.