Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #1

Help with setting up reese dual cam and Roo 21dk

I ordered a reese dual cam weight distribution and sway control hitch from etrailer.com and just got done with the install. The tow vehicle is a 2013 Ford Expedition EL and the trailer is a 2014 Rockwood Roo 21DK.

After my inital set up following the directions my ride height in the front dropped 4 1/4" on each side while my ride height in the rear dropped 1 1/2" on the driver side and 3 3/4" on the passenger side.

Even though I followed the direction with regard to the unloaded bar height in the instructions (8.5" from tip to ground), I am on the next to last link of chain in the snap brackets i.e. there is only one link not under tension, which also makes me think I should tilt the ball forward to give me less tension in the bars and will give me more slack in the chain.

It seems like I need to tilt the ball forward a bit to release some of the tension on the bars and take some weight off the front. However what I don't understand is that looking at some other posts on the forum here several users state that the vehicle should settle equally and only a very small amount (like less than 1") I don't see that happening with me, given I seem to be overloaded on the front and I am still sinking in the rear approx 2+ inches. but maybe I am missing something?

What I really don't understand is why the rear passenger side is sinking more than the drivers by 1- 3/4 inches?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
rown4au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:54 PM   #2

Check all tire pressures. Run the same pressure on all tires on the tv.
Go to a level parking lot.
Unhitch and separate rigs.
Level trailer.
Measure trailer hitch height where top of ball would be.
Measure TV ball height.
Adjust ball mount (stinger) so trailer will be level or slightly nose down.
Measure front fender heights of TV.
Set trailer tongue on ball.
Measure front fender heights.
Generally, using the fifth link up from the spring bar, the fender height should be about 1/2 way between the 2 measurements.
That's about as simple as I can make it.
Fine tuning can be made by tipping the ball mount up or down and by using the 6th link of the chain.
Is there collision/ suspension/ tire/ spring/ etc. damage to the TV?
It makes no sense to be off so far from side to side.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
Check all tire pressures. Run the same pressure on all tires on the tv.
Go to a level parking lot.
Unhitch and separate rigs.
Level trailer.
Measure trailer hitch height where top of ball would be.
Measure TV ball height.
Adjust ball mount (stinger) so trailer will be level or slightly nose down.
Measure front fender heights of TV.
Set trailer tongue on ball.
Measure front fender heights.
Generally, using the fifth link up from the spring bar, the fender height should be about 1/2 way between the 2 measurements.
That's about as simple as I can make it.
Fine tuning can be made by tipping the ball mount up or down and by using the 6th link of the chain.
Is there collision/ suspension/ tire/ spring/ etc. damage to the TV?
It makes no sense to be off so far from side to side.
That sounds like what I did but I am not sure what you mean by halfway between 2 measurements? I will try tilting the ball up tomorrow and will move he trailer a bit to see if it affects measurements at all.

The tow vehicle is only 10 months old and has never been in an accident but I will check air pressure tomorrow as well.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:23 PM   #4

With the TV solo, measure from the pavement to the top of the fender opening, directly in line with the center (hub) of the wheel.
With the trailer set on the ball, no spring bars attached, and the full weight of the tongue on the ball, take the same measurement.
Let's pretend the first measurement is 30 inches and the second is 32 inches.
When the spring bars are on the fifth link, the front fender measurement should be about 31 inches.
PLEASE consult the owners manual for your TV and WDH.
I have given you general instructions.
Where are you? I'd be happy to get together if I could help. I'm in Hillsboro, OR.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:47 AM   #5
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rown4au View Post
I ordered a reese dual cam weight distribution and sway control hitch from etrailer.com and just got done with the install. The tow vehicle is a 2013 Ford Expedition EL and the trailer is a 2014 Rockwood Roo 21DK.

Even though I followed the direction with regard to the unloaded bar height in the instructions (8.5" from tip to ground), I am on the next to last link of chain in the snap brackets i.e. there is only one link not under tension, which also makes me think I should tilt the ball forward to give me less tension in the bars and will give me more slack in the chain.

What I really don't understand is why the rear passenger side is sinking more than the drivers by 1- 3/4 inches?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Your WDH is the Straight-Line Trunnion Bar system.

The front and rear of the TV should settle equally - a little more in the back end is ok - you definitely don't want to overload the front end.

The numbers you've specified are pretty crazy if you set the height of the unloaded spring bars based on your coupler style - something went wrong with your setup process?

Does the Expedition have the optional rear air suspension? Is it working properly? Could that explain the left/right imbalance in the rear and notwithstanding that the ball mount needs to be rotated fwd.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post

Your WDH is the Straight-Line Trunnion Bar system.

The front and rear of the TV should settle equally - a little more in the back end is ok - you definitely don't want to overload the front end.

The numbers you've specified are pretty crazy if you set the height of the unloaded spring bars based on your coupler style - something went wrong with your setup process?

Does the Expedition have the optional rear air suspension? Is it working properly? Could that explain the left/right imbalance in the rear and notwithstanding that the ball mount needs to be rotated fwd.
Correct, that is the system with the 600 lb spring bars. I just rechecked the set up table for unloaded height and my Measurement to the top of the hitch was 24". I have coupler style C but with a 4 " trailer frame so if read that right I should actually be adding 1" to column C due to the smaller frame height and the tip of my bars should be at 9.5 to 10.5 inches. I was at 8.5 inches last night so that explains that somewhat anyway.

The TV does not have air suspension, agree the numbers seem very odd. It was getting late and I was losing light and getting frustrated so I am going to shift the trailer to a slightly different spot, hook it up again as is and remeasure. If it still looks like its overloading the front I will tilt the ball fwd and try again.

How far down should the trunnions bars be tilted when its set up properly? Last night they looked like they were too far down to me as well, so that is another indicator I probably need to tilt the ball back toward the TV.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rown4au View Post
How far down should the trunnions bars be tilted when its set up properly? Last night they looked like they were too far down to me as well, so that is another indicator I probably need to tilt the ball back toward the TV.
When all is said and done, the setup should look pretty close to what is being depicted on the Reese site:

Weight Distribution - Reese

Old 08-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #8

Be sure you are giving all 3 sets of numbers, not just 2. Giving only 2 numbers (or telling us how much things have "settled"), we don't know what your reference point is. We need front wheel well heights for the solo-truck, trailer-attached-no-WD, and trailer-attached-with-WD.

And I agree that tire pressure or something else must be at work to have such large difference side to side. Or you are not on a level surface. The trailer attachment is symetical, unless they gave you 2 different bars. So whatever is causing this is not in the trailer.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #9

Ok we'll the next day I backed the trailer to a slightly different spot in the driveway and checked the tire pressures (all ok) and measured heights disconnected, with 8 links and then with 7 links as it needed more fwd wt transfer. Results below:

Front Left Front Right. Rear Left. Rear Right
Disconnected 36". 36". 35". 35 1/8"
8 links tension. 36 1/4". 36 3/8". 33 3/4". 34"
7 links tension. 35 7/8". 36". 34 3/16". 34 3/8"

I got all the measurements above without changing the angle on the hitch ball at all. Looking at it again in full daylight I might have had the tow vehicle on a very slight incline the first night I tried to set it up. We also happened to change rims on the tow vehicle in between set up attempts and the tires were remounted on the new rims so one of the tire pressures may have been off on he old rims. Either way it seems like its set up properly now.

I towed it to a local CG about 60 miles away over the weekend and had it on a major interstate at 65 mph and passing tractor trailers with no sway issues or floaty steering feel.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:40 AM   #10
Just a member

Yep - level is crucial for doing the setup. Glad you get it worked out.

Tags
roo