Old 07-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsorenson View Post
we do carry firewood in the back of the truck along with kids bikes should we not be doing that? And once we get the hitch lowered and fix this sway problem would it be a bad decision to put a bike rack on back of trailer? any other idea's for carrying bikes?
Word to the wise...it is illegal (federal law actually ) to transport firewood across state lines. In fact, according to this site 50 miles is too far. I always buy locally just to be sure and so I am a good steward of the habitat

FAQs and General Information | Don't Move Firewood

As for a bike hitch, "it depends" see how well your bumper is attached. Another option would be to have a hitch receiver professionally installed and use one of those type of bike carriers.

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #52

we have a 2500hd duramax and pull a 35ft TT usually around 10,000 - 11,000 lbs with our "stuff" in there. no sway, lurch, or waggle. our wdh is different using chain which connects to notch in our tt tongue and we have a sway bar connects on side of tonque using lever to add tension. we have played with ours until we got where we want it so ours does not move around while driving.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #53

Don't know if you have it fixed yet. I have the similar hitch and it is very good and also kind of fussy in adjustment. Only you can tell if the trailer is level, pictures are good but use a level and tape measurement. It appears that the the L-bars where the trunion bars rest on the trailer may no longer be perpendicular to the frame, check with a square and adjust. Important that square trunion bars meet these brackets level to acheive sway control through friction. They should also be placed the correct distance from the hitch center with enough length of the bars still on bracket. These trunion bars in theory should end up close to a parallel to the A frame. It looks like they are now tilted. Fairly good manual at there website and there may be a support number on tag . I hope you have good results. I'm still checking mine after moving them up and retightening them.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #54
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I had an old hitch set up on my TV that was welded solid and no adjustments. The only adj I had was at the chains to the TT frame. I would pull up the arms right into the frame to the point of rubbing the TT frame. Where were the Hitch police? Truth of the matter the last three setups it was on worked great. It didn't look great but it got the job done. My last setup was on a 2014 Chev 1500 pulling a 7000 #/ 35' TT and could cruise 65-70 all day long.
2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #55

Sorry we havent gotten back to everyone! We did get the hitch etc checked out and found that the U bracket?? medal piece under the Lbracket was upside down, the dealer wasnt sure if that would have made a difference and given it some movement or not but he turned that around and then did adjust the L bracket but he went to 3 holes on top where it was one, we are wondering if he should have just went down one notch, he and my husband did take the unit out on the highway that day and went 65mph and said it felt fine, so we're camping this weekend to test her out! We were feeling pretty good that we found the problem and even made reservations to pull the camper to Tn my husband called this morning after taking the unit to work (we take off right from his job to camp for the weekend) and it was a bit windy this morning and he got up on the interstate and he said he felt absolutely no swaying! YEAH!!! but he said it bounced like a basket ball darn darn darn, think we need to just move that L bracket down a notch again? I do notice the Lbracket doesnt look real straight and read a post saying they needed to be straight? I'll get a pic and post of the new set up, the dealer did measure everything while on their lot and it does seem a tiny bit nose down so makes me feel good about that, he said the truck will have some squat with that size of a rig and looking at the truck it doesnt look bad at all actually let me get pictures
Old 07-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #56

Here are before and now pictures and I noticed when we got home the Lbracket was not straight at all, told my husband "boy they sure didnt put that on very straight" so is that something that should be or not? will it affect the bounce? Really wondering if we should move this Lbracket so it has 2 holes on top and not 3 and maybe that will take care of everything.......... so think the medal bracket under the L bracket being upside down could have caused sway or bounce? Guess if that was something really important and the RV dealer put it on upside down we should mention that to them don't you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	440.9 KB
ID:	57936   Click image for larger version

Name:	now.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	466.1 KB
ID:	57937   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1115.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	458.8 KB
ID:	57938  
Old 07-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Word to the wise...it is illegal (federal law actually ) to transport firewood across state lines. In fact, according to this site 50 miles is too far. I always buy locally just to be sure and so I am a good steward of the habitat

FAQs and General Information | Don't Move Firewood

As for a bike hitch, "it depends" see how well your bumper is attached. Another option would be to have a hitch receiver professionally installed and use one of those type of bike carriers.
we will not haul wood out of state at all, we only take wood to our local campground here, we have noticed most all campgrounds say no out of state wood and some even say no out of county
Old 07-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #58
Jack of All Trades

Adjusting the metal L-bracket up more will only take less hitch weight off the truck( ie, press down more, thus trying to raise the rear of the truck). That adjustments affects ride height of the tongue. The bouncing is more likely worn out shocks on the tow vehicle. I'd drop the lower bolt out of both and see if they are shot. And I don't remember from earlier, but is that a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck? That could be some of it as well. Edit. I went back. Since it is a 2500, it should handle it fine but like someone mentioned before, possibly shocks.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #59

hmmmm we had a ton of work done on this truck when we got it a few months ago was thinking we did shocks going to pull up that paperwork and see
Old 07-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #60
Jack of All Trades

Not sure about it, but I would just suspect it if it is "bouncing" up and down. Unless your highway's expansion joints are timed just right with your wheels like some of the Oklahoma highways. If the distance between them find a resonance, it will increase until you either change lanes or change speeds. Good luck.

Tags
sway