Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
Bill & Janet

Question Help with towing a 2011 Jeep liberty.

I've got a 2011 Jeep liberty in we've got all the blue ox stuff put on it this winter. Getting the jeep into neutral and transfer case is quite simple. But I'm confused as what to do with the ignition switch, key and battery. My owners manual and owners guide have conflicting instructions. The owners guide says to"Place the ignition switch in the OFF position and remove the key". But the owners manual says to"Turn OFF the engine and leave the ignition switch in
the unlocked OFF position. Then disconnect the battery at the negative cable." I have checked with the ignition off and the key removed. The steering wheel does not lock. I can turn it completely left or completely right. We are set to take our first trip this March. I have to get this right because last year my wife got to ride in our Georgetown 360 DS only twice. All the other times she was following in the car.
km5xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #2

Some Jeep wranglers if flat towing once you place the T-case in the "N" position the steering wheel unlocks automaticity. My 2010 4 door JK rubicon did that. Best to check with the Jeep dealer.

Jenny
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:30 PM   #3

I have a 2012 jeep liberty rigged out to tow with blue ox products, when in tow mode/neutral transfer case, I have the key off, key removed. Steering wheel doesn't lock!
Also, just FYI - there's a 12v power socket on mine that was powered only when key was on, I use this power point for the patriot brake device, the FUSE for this power point can be moved over in it's slot so that the power point is powered all the time- key off. So this was I can use the brake system with key-off. I have towed my liberty all the way from Oklahoma to Florida and back and never had any issues with jeep, battery was never an issue.

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
Bill & Janet

Thanks for the info. Just did my first try at putting the transfer case into neutral. Is my daughter would've said" easy cheesy". And thanks for the information also about the fuse for the power outlet. Just move it. My wife will also be happy that she can keep her phone or iPad on charge when the ignition switch is off. We plan on getting a braking system soon. It always seems like there's something we need !
km5xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:13 AM   #5

You will always need something!! I now NEED one of these...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1426605192.123023.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	71577

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, towing