Old 08-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #1

help with triangular equalizer rocker bar / axle locked up

Hello y'all from b.f.west Texas. I just embarked on my 1st long rv trip with my wife. Headed from San Antonio area to northern .ca and about a week in and we just hit 334 miles. Everything seemed ok on the side roads but as soon as I got into the interstate I realized things weren't so swell. Our 30c cedar creek was all over the road and luckily our 2500 dodge diesel had the weight to hold it down so nothing flipped ove although everything on the inside was 're-arranged for us absolutely free of charge. Whit off on the side road and got weighed at the nearest truck stop. 18,900 total vehicle and trailer weight. And after shifting a few things around waited till sunrise to do it again. Same situation all over the place and decided to have the truck looked at due to a little slip in the front end. Fixed that myself with a new torrid got the alignment checked out and was told to check out a friction bar. Went to camping world and was instantlly upsold to a pro series w.d.hitch. installed and 500 into the trip plus 3 days and we've only made it 15 miles. So now that we've got all the confidence in the world hanging on the bumper were ready to say our goodbyes to the yellow rose of Texas. Onward thru the fog the wife says and we start truck in again. Trailer did better until about 30 miles and starts swaying all over again. Got do bad that the 3rd time we got busy with it the wife was crying and said get this trailer into the shop and have someone check it out.

The rv shop came back to us 4 days later (weekend allergies) and told is the leaf springs in the slider side were shot and to replace both axles and that would fix it. $800 dollars later were cruising down the road. One big happy family and all....... Make it 90 miles or so up the road and I noticed that the equalizer on the door side of the trailer is locked up in the forward position, in fact both sides are locked up. So I called The rv shop tha did the work and the fella there says to get it on a upward incline and try to get the truck flat and the weight should pop it out of its locked position. Did it and nothing. Now i'm out a little further in Ft. Stockton reading forum boards trying to figure out what to do about this and I see that this ain't duh a good thing......that other problems will occur.

Can anyone give me a little hoot n holler as to what may happen if I leave it like this and also how to fix it
Attached us a picture of the equalizer on one sife
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0366.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	61655  

Old 08-29-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Need a better picture......no idea of what that is.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:04 AM   #3

I am assuming you are now operating with a friction type anti sway bar on both sides of your trailer? Are you saying that they are locked and not adjustable? Did you have a W/D anti Sway Hitch or did you have nothing prior to the trip to Camping world?
Loading, Speeds and Overall weight are all big contributors to sway. As is tire pressure in the trailer. If you broke a leaf spring, that baby had to be all over. Glad to hear that you are safe. Keep her under 65mph, and loaded so that 13-15% of the trailer weight is on the tongue. Sounds like you weighed but not the trailer individually.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:05 AM   #4

Oh shoot, thx mtnguy for catching that. Here's the real picture and a few from down under
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0405.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	61767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0402.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	61768   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0411.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	61769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0401.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	61770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0407.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	61771  

Old 08-30-2014, 06:32 AM   #5

Ryand, I have a pro series w.d.h that came with 1 friction bar. My problem is the front axle has locked in a raised position as you can see in the first picture.. in the other pictures you can see the rear leaf springs are nearly flattened out and the front springs are still curved some what indicting a lighter load.

One thing I've noticed is that the last 2 days I cannot control the vehicle in the heat of the day. I found it drives great when the temp cools down to about 80 deg.

Worst feeling in the world to see. Similar set-ups pass me at 75mph. While I'm chugging it at 50mph.

Thx, Luni
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0287_2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	61772   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0360.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	61773   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0322.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	61774  
Old 08-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

IMHO, you need to slowly get your trailer to the nearest RV repair facility, or better yet, get a mobile RV repair unit to come to your trailer.

According to the 3rd picture in post # 5, the messed up axles are throwing the tongue weight way off, or the WDH is not setup correctly.....or maybe a bit of both things happening.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:21 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The center link on the spring mounts should never look like that...it should be free to pivot back and forth as the individual axles move up and down. Is the center link like that on both sides of the camper?

Looking at the pictures of your set-up it would appear that the W/D hitch isn't transferring enough weight to the front axle of the truck. You'll probably also have to drop the hitch head lower to get both truck and camper level.

As MtnGuy mentioned tow very carefully to a repair facility or call a mobile tech.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #8

Looking at the pics, if you want to try it yourself, I'd drop the front low, put blocking under the frame near the rear, then jack the front back up and see if the change effects the suspension or not? Might need to get the weight of that axle v or both axles and somehow try and jack the axle back into place? No real idea, other than it makes sense to me
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:05 PM   #9
Carknocker Family

From looking at your pics, The head on your hitch should be lower. Camper nose is way to high IMO. Then you should put more trension on weight bars to transfer weight to front of truck. Its nose is way to high also. I am sure it is a handful at speed with the steer tires barely touching ground. On trailer suspension, they did put right spring on, didn't they? Almost looks as one is stronger than other and over powering it on the pivot.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:13 PM   #10
Carknocker Family

Do a Google search on your hitch, believe there is a utube video on how to set it up. Good luck and be safe.

2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, equalizer