Old 04-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
Are you looking at new or used? I picked up our current loaded F250 for 1/2 the list price at 2 years old (had 95,000km) and it has the Ford bumper to bumper Premium Care warranty to 150k so it was like buying new. You will not find anyone who has purchased one of the 6.2 gasser super dutys that is unhappy about their performance. Is it a diesel? No but it does not need to make any excuses either as there are many who have changed from diesel to these 6.2 trucks and love them. I pull about 8500lbs with mine and it has 3.73 gears and you really don't even know it has a load behind it and the 6.2 with 4.30 gears simply runs away from either the Dodge or GM trucks in the hills.
+1 on the Ford 6.2 gasser. Looked everywhere trying to find a 2011 or newer and had no luck. They seem to sell quickly. After lots of diesel research, we wound up going with the F-250 6.7 diesel. 400 hp and 800 lbs of torque sold us. Just my opinion, but the Chevy doesn't seem to have the raw guts the Ford has.

'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfetched View Post
Well, I have made the decision to upgrade the tv to a 3/4 ton. diesel is not an option for me at this time.

Cost for me is a problem so I am trying to go as bare bones as possible. We live in the north so a four wheel drive is a requirement

After looking at tow specs, the Ford f250 seems to have an advantage compared to the GMC 2500 unless you do the 4.10 gears. Because this will be an everyday vehicle at the same time I am concerned about gas mileage.

My questions relate to options and others experience with their tv
It tends to vary greatly depending on what area of the country you are in. Around here (the great midwest) diesel trucks retain their value very well. Pre-DPF diesel trucks often bring 80-90% of their original sales price with 100K on them (that is closer to 70% of sticker since they were all heavily rebated in those days.) they tend to actually sell quicker and bring more than newer trucks with less miles that have DPF.

I know several local dealers were advertising "no-cost" diesel option lately, trying to clear some trucks after the first of the year.

Typically, 2-3 year old gas 3/4 trucks go for about 50-60% original MSRP. Diesel are staying 70-80% MSRP. I can usually find 10-20 gas 3/4 trucks with less than 36K on them on the local market at any time. most are bare bones, if you were looking at the king ranch, it is rare you were going gas. But did just see a 09 or 10 King Ranch 250 with the 5.4 for around 20K.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
It tends to vary greatly depending on what area of the country you are in. Around here (the great midwest) diesel trucks retain their value very well. Pre-DPF diesel trucks often bring 80-90% of their original sales price with 100K on them (that is closer to 70% of sticker since they were all heavily rebated in those days.) they tend to actually sell quicker and bring more than newer trucks with less miles that have DPF.

I know several local dealers were advertising "no-cost" diesel option lately, trying to clear some trucks after the first of the year.

Typically, 2-3 year old gas 3/4 trucks go for about 50-60% original MSRP. Diesel are staying 70-80% MSRP. I can usually find 10-20 gas 3/4 trucks with less than 36K on them on the local market at any time. most are bare bones, if you were looking at the king ranch, it is rare you were going gas. But did just see a 09 or 10 King Ranch 250 with the 5.4 for around 20K.

Around here diesels go for the difference in price between them and an equalivent gasser so in the end you don't lose the money paid for the diesel option but they are percentage wise no better than a gasser with the same miles and options.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:55 AM   #14

Shop around for a new left over 2012 one. I bought a loaded (A/C & heated leather seats, 3.31:1 electronic locking rear axle etc.) new 2011 F250 Lariat 6.7 diesel after the 2012's were out last February for $42K. 10K off the sticker. She get 20 mpg, towing 11k lbs she getting around 11 mpg, 1500 rpm at 65 mph with 3.31:1 rear axle.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfetched View Post
Well, I have made the decision to upgrade the tv to a 3/4 ton. diesel is not an option for me at this time.

Cost for me is a problem so I am trying to go as bare bones as possible. We live in the north so a four wheel drive is a requirement

After looking at tow specs, the Ford f250 seems to have an advantage compared to the GMC 2500 unless you do the 4.10 gears. Because this will be an everyday vehicle at the same time I am concerned about gas mileage.

My questions relate to options and others experience with their tv
If your concerned about gas mileage and wanting a 3/4 ton gasser, you won't be happy with MPG's...if you go the diesel route then you'll satisfy your mpg requirements.
IMO, definetly look at 2-3 year old trucks for the best price vs new.
Good Luck!