Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #1

Help with wd hitch and sway control

We are getting ready to order a 27 foot Rockwood Ultralite TT and found this ad in a local paper. Is this a good set-up for what we would need.

"Reese Adjustable High Performance Trunnion Style Weight Distribution Hitch System PLUS a COMPLETE Dual Cam Sway Control System PLUS a 1,200/12,000 lb 2" tongue hitch bar/weight distributing shank PLUS a 2 5/16 10,000 lb ball mount. $375.00."

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
tchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
57 Chevy Bobby

Used Hitch

i would recommend paying a little more and buying through the dealer. That way they can install correctly (and be liable is something is not done correctly). They can also adjust and make sure that the balance is done correctly and show you how to use it.
bobby.andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #3

We will be ordering from RV direct and picking up the trailer in Indiana. We are going to buy a wd hitch and take it with us and they are going to help us install it.
tchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #4

it all depends on the tongue weight of the trailer. I have the reese staight line system with the cam style controls and it works great. The unit you have described is for a trailer with a 1000-1200 pound tongue weight. They work on friction, and if you get a system rated higher than you need it will not work properly. Another thing to consider is the shank, what is the rise/drop, and will it do the job with your tow vehicle and trailer to have everything sit level.
Long story short, their is a lot to know and consider when buying a hitch setup, so its hard to say if its a good deal for you specifically. As for dealers, they dont always know how to install or setup properly. I suggest going to Reeses website and learn for yourself. When I got mine I had the "dealer" install it, good thing I hung around as they did it, I knew more about it from the website then they did. They ended up not charging me for the install, since I did more of it than they did.
SLEDJED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #5

just read your post again, sorry I was incorrect, your shank is rated for 1200lbs, you need to find out the rating on the w/d cam system.
SLEDJED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchart View Post
We are getting ready to order a 27 foot Rockwood Ultralite TT and found this ad in a local paper. Is this a good set-up for what we would need.

"Reese Adjustable High Performance Trunnion Style Weight Distribution Hitch System PLUS a COMPLETE Dual Cam Sway Control System PLUS a 1,200/12,000 lb 2" tongue hitch bar/weight distributing shank PLUS a 2 5/16 10,000 lb ball mount. $375.00."

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
You may have to pay the dealer extra to install it, so in the long run you may not save anything, so I agree buy it from the dealer where you are buying the camper. It's different if one is familiar with hitch work and are able to pick up a deal from a news paper, but if you are not sure then go by what the dealer recommends. This part of towing is real important besides the size of tow vehicle you are using.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby.andrews View Post
i would recommend paying a little more and buying through the dealer. That way they can install correctly (and be liable is something is not done correctly). They can also adjust and make sure that the balance is done correctly and show you how to use it.
Don't trust the dealer. My first TT the dealer installed and had no clue how it should be set up. I have had several people tell me how much better a 5er pulls than a TT. I would bet many of them did not not have their WD hitch set up correctly. When it's right it's good. Learn how to set up and do it yourself or double check whoever else does it.
Jujububbajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #8

Like I said If you are not familiar with hitch work, then most people have to depend on the dealer, but as stated above educate your self so you can follow up. I contacted Reese myself and had all the specs on paper when mine was installed....and yes I found a few parts that were installed wrong.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchart View Post
We will be ordering from RV direct and picking up the trailer in Indiana. We are going to buy a wd hitch and take it with us and they are going to help us install it.
RV Direct should carry something like the Equal-I-Zer. I would have them install and set it up. They should know how to do it correctly. http://store.rvdirect.com/rvdirect/d...r&MfrNum=31607
Dick
dichayer is offline   Reply With Quote