Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2015, 01:35 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 39
I have a 2011 forerunner 6 cly. I am pulling a forest river micro lite 21ds. I don't have any problems pulling.
__________________

__________________
rwatson908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:40 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 19
Look at wolf pup and palomini. We just bought wolf pup 16fq, but many different floor plans in both makes and better weights..good luck
__________________

__________________
jemnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Robbsails's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lenexa,
Posts: 110
We started with a pop-up and our experience was fantastic going up thru the north west and Canada. We towed with a Trailblazer. Just the two of us. Our mistake was we moved up to a 23 ft TT and after a couple years had to find a better tow vehicle. So if you think the family will enjoy camping, then be ready to move up without buying a new tow vehicle. Good luck.
__________________
Robbsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:27 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 39
My micro lite is aluminum framed with foam insulation. Curved roof. Peco campers in atlanta offered good pricing!!
__________________
rwatson908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhood View Post
20ft long and 3359 dry weight
Dry weight + battery/ies + propane tank/s + spare tire + water (30gal) + mandatory equipment (power cord, water hoses, sewer pipes, chocks, leveling boards, etc) would give you around 150 pounds of personal equipment (food, clothing, linens, dishes/cooking ware, etc)
to stay under 4000lbs towing.

Overall.. you would be around 1000lbs under your max gross weight (TV and TT combined), 2000lbs under max tow weight, and payload capacity maxed out. Anything over +/- 150lbs in the trailer will put you over max payload capacity of your TV and be cutting into your 1000lb max gross weight cushion.

"CAN" you tow it? More than likely yes. "SHOULD" you tow it? That's for you to decide. As you can tell.. I am a stout supporter of towing within your rigs capacity with a margin of safety to spare. You may be under in some areas, but over capacity in others.

Many folks run WAY over ratings on a regular basis because they can.. until they can't. I do know that it is a fact that the #1 cause of accidents involving RV's is overloading.

One other factor to consider is if you DO get in an accident while towing, one of the first things your insurance company will do it weigh out your rigs. If you are overweight they don't pay. [edited: "may" not pay ;-)]

I'll get off the soap box Each must decide for themselves what risks they are comfortable with.

__________________
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:50 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,101
Yarome can you please give one instance were a insurance company has weighed a trailer. We have had a couple of police officers on here and they have never heard of it. Can you please quote your source for the #1 cause of accident .
__________________
Ontario

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: West Jordan, UT
Posts: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
Yarome can you please give one instance were a insurance company has weighed a trailer. We have had a couple of police officers on here and they have never heard of it. Can you please quote your source for the #1 cause of accident .
I too am curious, my sister writes insurnace and is an insurance agent for a living and I nor she has ever heard of that. She works for progressive so that is my only information, others may.......

From what she said it appears that the number one cause if accidents are too fast for conditions and improper reaction from the driver, these are vague but that is all i have ever heard.

I am not saying you are wrong but I would like to do some reading on it, where did you get that info?
__________________
2018 XLR Nitro 36T15
2015 GMC 3500 6.6/Allison

Nights Camped (2017- 16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
Yarome can you please give one instance were a insurance company has weighed a trailer. We have had a couple of police officers on here and they have never heard of it. Can you please quote your source for the #1 cause of accident .
Sure! The most recent one I know of was with a group I was with in Southern California last year. One fella towing a monster 5th wheel with a ford F250, got into a collision merging onto the highway. Long story short... CHP weighed his rigs... declared that he was over GCVWR and his insurance company "excused" themselves. There was a whole stink and the guy actually went back to sue the insurance company with the argument that the insurance company should have "known" that his 5th wheel was too heavy to be towed by his F250 when they issued the policy, so they should have denied coverage from the get go, or pay up since they continued to accept his premium payments.

Never did find out how that ended up.

As for the leading cause of accidents... Its pretty well established. Do a google search with "leading cause of RV accidents" and take your pick. Insurance companies, reputable RV associations and communities, law firms...
__________________
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
From what she said it appears that the number one cause if accidents are too fast for conditions and improper reaction from the driver, these are vague but that is all i have ever heard.
Which might fall into the same coal pile. Ie., too fast for conditions... possibly because they were unable to stop within a reasonable distance due to overloading? I'm not an insurance adjuster or claims specialist...

I'm not here to participate in a debate or argue a point of common sense.

One of the more horrific I'll link to here that just happen to pop up in a general search, but that's about the extent I care to spend on the topic.

__________________
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:33 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: West Jordan, UT
Posts: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
Sure! The most recent one I know of was with a group I was with in Southern California last year. One fella towing a monster 5th wheel with a ford F250, got into a collision merging onto the highway. Long story short... CHP weighed his rigs... declared that he was over GCVWR and his insurance company "excused" themselves. There was a whole stink and the guy actually went back to sue the insurance company with the argument that the insurance company should have "known" that his 5th wheel was too heavy to be towed by his F250 when they issued the policy, so they should have denied coverage from the get go, or pay up since they continued to accept his premium payments.

Never did find out how that ended up.

As for the leading cause of accidents... Its pretty well established. Do a google search with "leading cause of RV accidents" and take your pick. Insurance companies, reputable RV associations and communities, law firms...
Looking at the returned search results it does seem that overweight is constantly in the top 5 reasons and mostly in the top 3. Speed and experience are the other major reasons cited.

I am a personal believer in weighing your rig and understanding capabilities but I wish this was a practice adhered to by many, too many times I see the backs of trucks dragging on the ground........
__________________

__________________
2018 XLR Nitro 36T15
2015 GMC 3500 6.6/Allison

Nights Camped (2017- 16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
trailer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 PM.