Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #41

If I was going to haul up to 6000 I would dump the Nissan . Had a 08 frontier and no way it would tow no where close to 6000. Bought a half ton and still wasn`t happy with that towing the same load. Finally bought a 1 ton diesel , very happy with that .
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:18 AM   #42

I had him check and he sent me the picture of the white sticker and it said UVW 3628 and he told me the dry weight is 3220 and the hitch weighs 408. I didn't know until I checked that dry weight and UVW was different. Hopefully I still should be ok.
dhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:16 AM   #43
2016 Shamrock 183 Hybrid

Do your homework; then decide for yourself

Nissan Pathfinder V6 for towing? - Archive through May 29, 2009

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ous-12285.html

https://www.etrailer.com/partlist/Ni...20Distribution

So..my friend...remember what I said about opinions and belly buttons?

Here are 4 posts that came up when I googled 2009 pathfinder towing capacity......have you done this yet?

The second it the tale of someone buying a 31 ft TT that the dealer said her pathfinder could tow------------akin to asking a paperhanger if you should paint the walls inside your attached garage....or wall paper it......don't be surprised by the answers you get by someone with vested interest!!!! lol As one responder said - a 31 ft TT would likely weigh far more than a 6000# rated vehicle could tow!!! You have solid information on what this 2007 TT weighs empty.....just remember that putting batteries, propane tanks, potable water, clothes, kids stuff, groceries, cannon balls, boat anchors, concrete blocks, pillows, etc all add to the total weight to be towed by your vehicle.

Doesn't mean your pathfinder can't tow this TT reasonably loaded.....just means you might want to keep track of added weight.....or just replace the Pathfinder with a diesel guzzling behemoth that you don't want - but that removes the need to think about what weight you're pulling.

The first post consist or boat owners who tow 5-6000# boat/trailer rigs with their pathfinders. Guess what....there are folks on that string who point out that their one ton pickup with its long wheel base can tow better than their old man's nissan.....you should therefore buy a used 2500 dually with a cummings diesel engine (assuming you got a spare $45K).....again lol. Take note of several folks who pointed out that improving the rear suspension on the nissan significantly improved steering and "feel" when towing load about 4000# (see the last post RE air assist - if you feel it's needed).

The 3rd is from etrailer. That is where I picked up my hitch and brake controller. You can spend as much as you'd like there! I bought a low priced WD hitch with antisway and am quite satisfied. I could has spent $600 for the ultra-top-o-the-line (big dick, braggin rights, look at my toys) edition. Note that etrailer specifically mentions what your 6 cylinder pathfinder with its 6000# tow capacity should have. You can also email these folks and ask about their recommendations for the rear-end of the nissan. They do not sell shocks, but may advise you to look at an upgrade.... I don't know.

Finally,

I looked at the posting for the 2007 hybrid TT you are considering. It looks very nice!!!
* You should closely inspect the areas around the bunks on the inside to assure yourself there's no evidence of water damage.
* You should google that make/model/year to see what, if any, complaints other owners may have posted.
*You should make the dealer prove to you that all systems work and/or get a written statement that they will repair any defects you discover in the first 90 days of ownership. If they will not....it's a point for negotiating a price reduction!! - then make them hook up propane, 12v and 120 v power and spend 2-3 hours satisfying yourself that everything seems okay.

It looks like your nissan (possibly with or without a reasonable upgrade to the rear suspension - Nissan Pathfinder 2005-2012 Air Helper Springs - Air Lift 1000 #60810 - 2011 2010 2009 2008 | SuspensionConnection.com ) can tow this trailer's weight both on the flats and reasonable inclines at reasonable speeds. You will need a WD hitch...you may want/need anti sway. You will need a controller for the trailer brakes. You might consider a test run before deciding if adding air bags to "beef up" the rear suspension might be worthwhile.

Good luck with doing your own homework.

IMHO you should do fine pulling this TT with your pathfinder.....just bear in mind to not overload it. Again, my opinion from what I see frome the weight of the 2007 and what's online about the pathfinder.

PS. Yes, overloading the towed trailer beyond the limits of the towing vehicle is dangerous. Sounds like you already have that in mind. Keep the total weight of the fully loaded trailer under 5000#

PPS. Should you upgrade to a 88,000# behemoth RV, and pull another trailer behind, loaded with 12-18 people......it might be a bad idea to put a 17 yo in the pilot's seat........

PPPS. I dropped "common sense" from my lexicon about 20 years back....replaced it with "good sense" .....which has become far less common than it once was....just saying.

Good luck, drive safe, enjoy camping with your family, use good sense.

peace/out
sparty047 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer