Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2015, 04:29 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 5
Help with which size trailer to get!

I hope this is the right forum so I am very new to towing having only towed a 1500lb tent trailer with my 2009 Nissan Pathfinder v6 (towing capacity 6000lbs). The tent trailer was too small for my family of 4 and now want to get a travel trailer but I have no idea on what size or how heavy I can go to be safe. I have looked at many trailers but I am thinking I have to stay under 23 or 22ft in length and keep it light maybe 3000 or 4000lbs max (dry weight). Any recommendations from anyone would be great. I just dont want to buy a trailer that my Nissan cant tow safely and comfortably.
Thank you,
Derek
__________________

__________________
dhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:23 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Rrickim63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 487
Have you looked at any hybrids? They are a possible step up from a pop up for many people.
__________________

__________________
2006 Roo 23B hybrid

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:48 AM   #3
Member
 
greti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 93
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhood View Post
I hope this is the right forum so I am very new to towing having only towed a 1500lb tent trailer with my 2009 Nissan Pathfinder v6 (towing capacity 6000lbs). The tent trailer was too small for my family of 4 and now want to get a travel trailer but I have no idea on what size or how heavy I can go to be safe. I have looked at many trailers but I am thinking I have to stay under 23 or 22ft in length and keep it light maybe 3000 or 4000lbs max (dry weight). Any recommendations from anyone would be great. I just dont want to buy a trailer that my Nissan cant tow safely and comfortably.
Thank you,
Derek
I think 22 ft or so and the max weight mentioned would be doable for the nissan. I also towed with a pathfinder- trailer was 19 ft and 3000 lbs. it towed that very well with equalizer hitch. I could have gone a bit longer and heavier without problems. However when we upgraded to a 25 ft camper at 4800 lbs it was no longer a good match up and we had to upgrade the car for towing.
__________________
Tennessee
2014 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504s
2006 Ford Expedition
greti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:58 AM   #4
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 13,281
I wouldn't go over 3000 lbs dry weight.
You'll end up around 4000 lbs loaded for camping, which will be at the limits of your Nissan, when you factor in the air resistance of the trailer's frontal area.
__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:29 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by greti View Post
I think 22 ft or so and the max weight mentioned would be doable for the nissan. I also towed with a pathfinder- trailer was 19 ft and 3000 lbs. it towed that very well with equalizer hitch. I could have gone a bit longer and heavier without problems. However when we upgraded to a 25 ft camper at 4800 lbs it was no longer a good match up and we had to upgrade the car for towing.
X2
__________________
mbCik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:30 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I wouldn't go over 3000 lbs dry weight.
You'll end up around 4000 lbs loaded for camping, which will be at the limits of your Nissan, when you factor in the air resistance of the trailer's frontal area.
IMO, that's a pretty conservative figure. Your max payload is only 1100, so with 3 passengers, a full tank of gas, hitch, pin weight of 400 pounds (estimated on 4000 fully loaded trailer), and no other cargo whatsoever, you're at max. Add in any additional cargo and your available pin weight will have to drop.

I would say you're looking more at around 2500 lbs dry... allowing 1500 pounds of necessities (battery, propane tanks, water, hoses, etc etc) and personal gear (food, dishes, clothing, bedding/linens, tools, toys, etc etc)

I don't think a travel trailer is in the cards, but you might get away with upgrading your popup. There are some flagstaff's that might fit the bill.
__________________
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:38 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
thebrakeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canton, Michigan
Posts: 1,105
6000 lbs tow ratings is a good number for a small/moderate TT or hybrid. Looking at hybrids will get you more floorspace for the same trailer length, since the main bed is outside of the floorspace. But you have to determine if that's for you, as you have to deal with tenting, additional light in the morning (if you want to sleep in), additional noise in the morning (if you want to sleep in), etc.

But for a family of 4, there are plenty of options with an inside bed, and 2 bunks, in the 21 or 23 ft range.

I like the idea of keeping the loaded weight to around 4000, 2000 lbs under your max tow rating. Which means a dry weight of up to 3200. You don't need capacity in the truck for anything more than the family and tongue weight. That's why you are getting away from the popup. Put all the stuff in the trailer.

That's sort of the same math we have: 7000lbs tow rating, and we wanted to keep the loaded weight limited to 5000lbs.
__________________
thebrakeman ('70), DW ('71), DD ('99), DD ('01), DD ('05)
2004 Surveyor SV261T (UltraLite Bunkhouse Hybrid)
2006 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD Premier
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Richmond, KY
Posts: 206
Look at the Canyon Cat 17 QBC. That would be a good option.
__________________
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:31 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 247
The pathfinder has a fairly short wheel base. I wouldn't go over 21 feet or 4000 lbs loaded. This is why you see more crew cab trucks pulling travel trailers. Like my father always said. "ABC" always be careful.
__________________
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:29 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 5
Wow, so awesome. I didn't expect so much help so fast, thank you so much. I did not even think of the short wheel base. I like the set up of the Canyon Cat but no where even close to my areas has it but would this Econ E16bb work good. Its dry weight is 2490 and is a little under 21ft.
Thank you again this forum is amazing!
__________________

__________________
dhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
trailer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.