Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #21
Site Team - Lou

Not the Lone Ranger

Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Towing: GVWR is LAW in Connecticut

As you can see everyone has an opinion on this topic. Apparently there is basis in law in Connecticut, though he does not site a code number.

http://www.horsecountrydirectory.com...lationsPA.html

Those of you towing an RV with the company's logo on your truck should look at the above link!

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Better Yet! Check out the column for GVW on the far right.

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/f...g/1/page/4.cfm

A PA thread that includes comments from a PA State Police Weigh team.
Seems the law does NOT differentiate between Commercial and non commercial weight limits. While we are not required to stop at weigh stations in most states, if circumstances (ie an accident) warrant your rig getting weighed, the PA law says you had better be legal.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:51 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

^^^ Now that's what I'm talking about. Proof there's at least one state.

Herc, you da man!
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:05 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

I edited my post below to add several other threads.
Well worth reading all of them.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:38 AM   #24

This is for Ontario

Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8

Operating within permitted weight
121. (1) No vehicle or combination of vehicles having a permit issued in accordance with section 7 of this Act, the fee for which is based upon gross vehicle weight, shall be operated on any highway where the gross vehicle weight exceeds that for which the permit was issued. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 121 (1); 1996, c. 9, s. 26.
Exception to subs. (1)
(2) Despite subsection (1) and subject to sections 116, 117 and 118, where a conversion unit is used to convert a two axle tractor into a three axle tractor and the fee prescribed in the regulations in respect of the conversion unit is paid, the vehicle or combination of vehicles to which the conversion unit is attached may operate on a highway at a maximum gross vehicle weight of 7,000 kilograms in excess of the gross vehicle weight for which a permit was issued for the vehicle or combination of vehicles in accordance with section 7 and the Ministry shall issue a receipt for the fee so prescribed and paid. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 121 (2).
Receipt re excess weight payment to be carried
(3) The receipt issued by the Ministry in accordance with subsection (2) shall, whenever a vehicle is on a highway with the conversion unit referred to in subsection (2) attached, be carried by the driver of the vehicle or placed in some readily accessible position in the vehicle and shall be surrendered when demanded by a police officer or an officer appointed for carrying out the provisions of this Act. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 121 (3); 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 27.
Penalty
(4) Every person who contravenes subsection (1) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine as if the person had been convicted under section 125 and the Registrar may suspend the permit issued under section 7 for the vehicle or vehicles involved, and the suspension shall continue until a new permit at the maximum gross vehicle weight allowable has been issued for the vehicle or vehicles and the fee therefor has been paid. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 121 (4).
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #25
Captain of Industry

Folks - this has been hugely helpful. I was looking at a 2007 Rockwood 8287SS. It was a great floorplan and a great deal; however, the hitch weight was quite a bit higher than most I've looked at. In any case, we passed on it thanks to your responses.

Also, thanks to Fire Instructor for bringing it back to the original question because I was still curious which would be better. I ordered the air bags from AutoAnything.com and will install them no matter what. They will be useful for towing and for hauling stuff like loads of dirt and mulch.

Thanks for the help! -- jdudd
jdudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #26
Captain of Industry

You know... out of curiousity I wondered what others who have a Rockwood 8287SS towed with and I found a gentleman who has the following setup:

2009 F-150 5.4L Flex fuel 3.55 axle
2008 Rockwood 8287SS running from 7000 dry to 8500 wet.
jdudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #27

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
Okay I know what GVWR means how much weight if I weight vechile with tongue weight of camper and all loaded up. But what do I look at to tell how heavy the camper can be? Do I look at the campers specs and if it says 8500 go up to that? Or is there a number on my truck saying to not over tow a certain amount of weight?
scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:23 PM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Scubie,

There are many "maximums" that are associated with towing.
The biggest camper you can tow is one that does not exceed the most restrictive limit.
Some examples of limits are:
1) Your hitch. Your hitch has a maximum rating on it. You can't tow a camper that is heavier than that allowed by your hitch.
2) The maximum trailer weight your tow vehicle is capable. This number is found in the documentation that came with your truck MODEL. It is a MAXIMUM for your series of truck equipped as stated in the documentation for that weight; not necessarily YOUR truck. There are different weights based on axle ratio; transmission type and engine type and power.
3) The maximum weight your LOADED truck can be. This number includes the entire load it will carry. All people, fuel, cargo and camper load borne by the truck (king pin or bumper).
4) The maximum weight your camper can be. Found on a placard on the side of the camper (or inside a cabinet door on some models)
5) The wheel base of your tow vehicle will determine the maximum safe LENGTH of your camper. A short wheel base and a long camper will put you on the wrong end of "Crack the Whip."

A terrific tool that does all the "cypherin" for you is:
Travel Trailer Weight Calculator

Tags
air bags