Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2014, 08:34 PM   #1

Hensley and Pro Pride hitches

Have been looking at these hitches and they sure seem to be what they say. The thing that would worry me to death is how do you prevent them getting stolen from the trailer when not around?
Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:49 PM   #2

I have a Hensley. I have a padlock on the hitch and it would take a little time to remove it. It's not something that they are gonna grab and run.
I would not tow a TT without it.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:52 PM   #3

What it will cost me to get one up here in Alberta I think welding it to trailer might be a better plan
Old 09-30-2014, 06:06 AM   #4
Incheon, S. Korea

Here's a review by a guy I trust explicitly.
popupbackpacker.com/propride-4000-mile-update/
I personally prefer the Hensley since I saw it in-person, but it's specifically designed for a heavier trailer.
If Nick is happy with his ProPride, it must be good! He's extremely thorough and discerning.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #5

Oh heck, I never thought about someone taking it. We are picking up a used propride this weekend. How do you have it padlocked on?
sharkbate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #6

I've pulled with a standard Curt with friction sway control, 2 different Equalizer 4 points (a 10K and a 14K) and now with a ProPride 3P. The ProPride does what it says.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbate View Post
Oh heck, I never thought about someone taking it. We are picking up a used propride this weekend. How do you have it padlocked on?
Not saying anyone would but I would sure be some kind of $%^&ed off if it did happen especially when trailer is in storage or anywhere for that matter.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #8

The hitch still hooks to the ball socket. I just put a padlock on that since the hitch stays attached. If someone wants to steal something, they will, thats what insurance is for.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #9

I wouldn't tow without my Hensley. I have the new model with the chains. You can put a lock on the coupler.
Ron Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:38 PM   #10
President ProPride, Inc.

I've been around the Hensley hitch, and now the ProPride hitch, for a combined 18 years. 10.5 as the VP of Hensley Mfg and now 7.5 as the owner of ProPride.

I can tell you there has never been one reported stolen that I can recall. There's probably a combined 20,000+ of them out there.

I'm sure Ron Estrada, the son-in-law of the owner of Hensley Mfg and a Hensley employee himself, could confirm that above rather than posting about his hitch. (Don't you just love the transparency of the web?)

A coupler lock is a good idea. You can also snake your tow chains through the hitch and chain it to the trailer if you are going to be away for awhile.
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
I've been around the Hensley hitch, and now the ProPride hitch, for a combined 18 years. 10.5 as the VP of Hensley Mfg and now 7.5 as the owner of ProPride.

I can tell you there has never been one reported stolen that I can recall. There's probably a combined 20,000+ of them out there.

I'm sure Ron Estrada, the son-in-law of the owner of Hensley Mfg and a Hensley employee himself, could confirm that above rather than posting about his hitch. (Don't you just love the transparency of the web?)

A coupler lock is a good idea. You can also snake your tow chains through the hitch and chain it to the trailer if you are going to be away for awhile.
Welcome back Sean.

I've had my ProPride for four seasons now and never had an issue with it, it would take quite some work and time for someone to steal it but like everything else it can be done......
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:17 AM   #12

Actually, y'all have to worry more about me promoting my books than Hensley. And since I actually do own a Forest River (brand new as of two weeks ago), I'll be all over this forum, not just in the hitch discussions. Good to see you, Sean.

Ron Estrada
2015 Flagstaff 26FKSW
Writer, Camper, All around fun guy
Ron Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #13
President ProPride, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Welcome back Sean.

I've had my ProPride for four seasons now and never had an issue with it, it would take quite some work and time for someone to steal it but like everything else it can be done......

Thanks, Fonzie... I'm always around. I don't jump in to post much anymore because I don't have a lot of time and most of everything is covered by my great customers anyway.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #14

Hey Sean

My husband is driving 7 hours (each way) this weekend to pick up a propride hitch. Is there a parts list on the website so he'll know he's got all the pieces? We're buying from a happy customer who upgraded to a 5er.
sharkbate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:46 PM   #15
President ProPride, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbate View Post
Hey Sean

My husband is driving 7 hours (each way) this weekend to pick up a propride hitch. Is there a parts list on the website so he'll know he's got all the pieces? We're buying from a happy customer who upgraded to a 5er.

Great! I just sent you a PM with the document.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:38 PM   #16
President ProPride, Inc.

And to point out your earlier post about the Hensley being designed for a heavier trailer, that is not true or a fact either. The 3P will handle every bit of trailer that the Arrow will handle. It's designed that way. Designs are not patent descriptions as some companies seem to believe. Patent descriptions are written to get a patent awarded and the actual design can be engineered to accommodate any weight or size. That's engineering. All one has to do is look at the facts and the size of many ProPride customer trailers.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:56 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I have done some cleaning up on this thread. I deleted some hijackings, and unnecessary comments.

As a commercial member, Sean is held to some stiff rules regulations concerning his posts, and IMHO he has not crossed the line with any his posts. He is allowed to explain how his product functions and help members with their ProPride hitches. He is doing that here. I don't see where he is putting down the Hensley Hitch in any way.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #18
Engineer of Crazy Train

I have a question for both Sean and Ron. Do your hitches have interchangeable balls? Currently, I have a 2" ball on my Roo, but my next Roo will have 2 5/16. I don't want to buy a new hitch if I go with one of your products. Also, no unsolicited PMs please.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #19
President ProPride, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
I have a question for both Sean and Ron. Do your hitches have interchangeable balls? Currently, I have a 2" ball on my Roo, but my next Roo will have 2 5/16. I don't want to buy a new hitch if I go with one of your products. Also, no unsolicited PMs please.
Yes, the 3P hitch has an interchangeable ball. 2" and 2-5/16" are available.

The Arrow has an interchangeable ball if you buy a 2" out of the gate. It can be changed into a 2-5/16" ball. If you buy the 2-5/16" Arrow first it is a fixed ball and can't use a 2" ball.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:44 AM   #20
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
Yes, the 3P hitch has an interchangeable ball. 2" and 2-5/16" are available.

The Arrow has an interchangeable ball if you buy a 2" out of the gate. It can be changed into a 2-5/16" ball. If you buy the 2-5/16" Arrow first it is a fixed ball and can't use a 2" ball.
Sean, thank you for the response. Just keeping an open mind and seeing what our performance bonus brings me.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch