Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #1

Hensley Arrow & Wheel Chocks

Went camping with my new Hensley Arrow a couple weeks ago. When connecting and disconnecting, it seems to require a bit of a tug from my TV. In doing so, I've busted two cheap plastic wheel chocks so far. Hensley offers a chock (like the X-Chock) that state can be used for hooking and unhooking, but they do not make one for the extended axle.

Does anyone else use the Arrow and recommend a set of chocks for hooking and unhooking? I'm thinking of a larger rubber chock but I'm not 100% sure the best way to go.

Recommendations accepted.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Here you go.

X-Chock Extended - Wheel Chock for Wide axle spaced Tandem Trailers - PPL Motor Homes
Old 05-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #3

They clearly state on their website video to only install these after you are hooked up or unhooked. Otherwise, I would be ordering them today... still may end up getting these to stop the rocking and rolling.

BAL X-Chock Prevents RV Tire Shifting - YouTube
Old 05-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

We don't have the extended axles, but I have been hooking up with 2 of these engaged for 6 yrs and have noticed no ill effects. Will definitely use them engaged when checking the 5ver to make sure it is hitched. They are usually the last thing removed before leaving the campsite or home.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyO
sfrye5853,

I have the HA and love it! When I pull away or connect with the HA, I use rubber chocks. I also have the BAL X Chocks as well, but I would not leave those on when hitching or unhitching as they are not solid enough to take that type of abuse or the tire for that matter.

Rubber chocks are $$$ compaired to the cheapo yellow ones, but as they say, you get what you pay for. I own four of these bad boys and do not regret the cost, I will just need to remain vigelant when leaving my camp sites so i do not leave any "gifts" for my fellow camper. ;-) You can buy these off amazon - Roadblock RC815 Rubber Wheel Chock. They are sold individually.
2011 Expedition 5.4L 4x4 Limited
2018 Highland Ridge 275 Light
Semper Fi
JoeyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #6

We have been towing with a hensley for years and can offer this suggestion. First, make sure you have the stinger greased up well, it will release a lot easier. Second, try to match up your tow vehicles angle and the hensleys angle before disconnecting, and see if you can make a mental note of your tv normal ride height and use your tongue jack to lift the trailer to that height before disconnecting. We got good enough to avoid any tug on the hitch. Just my 2 sense.
Dave and Rainy
daverain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #7

6x6's always work well, and are almost indestructible. Cheap too!
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #8

When getting ready to unhook raise or lower the tongue until you see the stinger become free in your receiver hitch, then release the breakover cams and the wedge end of the stinger should pop loose, if not raise or lower your tongue until it does, this works most of the time. Also I use white spray on grease on the wedge end and inside of the Hensley where it goes in. Very few times do we get a hang up or tough pull, mainly when I try to hurry or get distracted. It just takes a little time and like a lot of things it gets better with age and use. Shouldn't have much force on the chocks. I used the el cheapo in front and behind the wheels and also used the extend a chocks on our old Wildwood. I use just the plastic chocks on the new LaCrosse because of the spread axles, have not sprung for the new improve extra large extend a chocks yet. They make an extend a chock that will fit your Tracer. One of the best prices appears to be at ProPride, check out their website. We are thinking we will order from there whenver we decide we need them, right now our LaCrosse seems to be more stable when parked than our other trailers have been, so might not do anything else.

If I can help anymore with the Hensley just PM me.

Just keep on enjoying the RVing experience.
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #9

I may have missed it, but you are unloading or backing off the weight bars. I back mine off till they start to push. I also use a small pipe jack between the stinger and the Hensley, a quarter of an inch movement and the stinger is free.

For chocks I use two 4x6 piece's with an angle cut that goes towards the wheels. I have a small scissors jack from a Colbalt that I tighten the blocks into the wheels. It doesn't move. The jacks at the junk yard were like $5 each.

If you don't know what a pipe jack is I'll send you a picture.
2021 Chevy High Country 6.6 gasoline
Hensley Arrow, best investment ever!
MIKE44460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #10

I got the one with the chain tension like standard wd setups (saved a buck or two). I cut a stick at the exact height of my (unloaded) truck receiver so I make sure I am at the right height before unhooking. I think mine is a practice issue at most, but I want to make sure I have good chocks.

Thanks for all the feedback. It is very much appreciated.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
DDC

I'm on my fourth trailer with the hensley and I still use the yellow plastic chocks I started with,the stick is great till you get use to the height but make sure the bars are loose too.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #12

The more you use it the easier it gets to know what you need to do to hook and unhook. When hooking up I try to make the part that the wedge goes into is centered, seems like the stinger goes in easier. We have had a few times that it was difficult to hook up, mostly when on very uneven ground or having to hook up at an odd angle. But generally it takes no longer than a regular WD hitch.
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #13

A backup camera helps as well. My truck did not have the factory and I had one I used before, wireless. Well guess what, with my new truck as long as it is not running I can see, when I start it I see snow. I have it hard wired now although the camera is on a magnet I stick to the tail gate. No big deal.

As for us Hensley owners, do you find it almost impossible to just explain to someone what it is like to tow with it. I never pulled a 5er, but this has to be better. Way less weight on the truck.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #14

My chocks.

Need a coat of paint again.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyO
Nice rims!
2011 Expedition 5.4L 4x4 Limited
2018 Highland Ridge 275 Light
Semper Fi
JoeyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #16

Bought 4 of these. No more worry about driving over or cracking my chocks!

Buyers Heavy Duty Rubber Wheel Chock, 8 in. W - 1700019 | Tractor Supply Company