Old 09-04-2007, 10:19 AM   #1
Hensley Arrow Hitch/Brake Controller Review

Install: Easy, took just less than 1 hour. Hensley provided most of the tools necessary (Including the drill bit needed for the 4 screws, allen wrench, and ratchet wrench for adjustment.)
I provided a 11/16" deep socket, a torque wrench, drill, and grease gun.
I did have to move/slide my propane tanks back to accomidate the brackets that get mounted to the frame 25.5" back from the ball. They say you have .5" +/-leeway, but I figured that I might as well do it right.
Use/Adjustment: Weight distribution setup is as easy as spinning a ratchet wrench to tighten a strut on each side of hitch. Instructions included handy tips on initial tightness. No Chains/heavy bars to lift etc....
Attachment/detachment: Fairly easy with two people. Since you are sliding the hitch bar into the reciever on the trailer, you have to just line up the 2" hole , with the 2" bar..then back up. I greased the bar to make it easy.
As I backed up my wife cranked the trailer up /down, and used the "Hitch Helper" to move the TT right/left to line it up.
Tips/suggestions: I needed all of the "optional" accessories for my hitch to have worked. The electric extension cable $40 and chain $10 "extenders" were mandatory. The "Hitch Helper" $40 made right/left adjustments to the trailer possible. Without right left adjustment you would have a dificult time/(if not impossible time) lining up the TV exactly straight with the TT. The Chocks $84 were necessary to hold the trailer steady while I backed my TV into the TT receiver. The Hitch Cover $81 nicelly covered up the greasy parts so the kids did not get filthier than necessary while playing next to the TT....It will also protect the greased parts from dirt contamination while not in use...which should prolong the life of the unit.
I used their Tru-Control Brake Controller $357.. it worked seamlessly. Although I had a hard time convincing my local RV parts installer to run the wires for it. Initially they were "not willing" to install any Hensley Parts..(including the brake controller). My guess is because Hensley sells direct rather than through dealers. In the end he installed it for $85.
Towing: AMAZING!! I had no sway at all, 55+MPH w/ windy conditions, cars/trucks speeding past, even an "emergency" stop due to a large bubble bee that flew in the sunroof and landed on my neck!..No sway at all.
I did not get a chance to tow this trailer with a normal WDH system/(Anti-sway Cam/ Friction), but I do have extensive boat towing I know what sway feels like and how easily it happens (even from a boat which is generally considered less sway "prone"). The trailer felt rock solid, in fact my TV felt more "stable/secure/planted" with the trailer than without. The exact opposite of my past experiences from towing the boat without the Hensley.
I personally feel really good knowing that (from all the research I had done) that I had the safest towing setup possible given my TV /TT. So long as I take my time, go nice and slow my family should be quite safe.
They had a 12 month no interest payment you can make the payments over a year, they will even auto deduct from the credit card (for miles). I think it was 11 months @ ~$250 per month plus a down payment of $600.They have these bundled package deals that end up waiving the $200 of shipping (and gives a small discount) if you buy the other stuff (brake controller/hitch cover/ etc..).
Anyways, hope all of this helps!

Gear:02' Jeep Grand Cherokee, K&N FIPKII Intake, Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust, Jet Computer Chip Stage II.
07' Rockwood 2701SS
Hensley Arrow Hitch
TruControl Brake Controller
Score: Wife, 2 Kids: 2yr Son, 6Mo Daughter Hobbies: Camping, Fishing, Mountain Biking, Snow Boarding.
Santa Barbara, CA.
JOHND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
The Jolly Mon
Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Very nice review! Thanks.
Glad the bee didn't sting ya!
Pete (Jolly Mon)

2014 Jayco Whitehawk 24 RBS
2004 Nissan Titan LE, 4x4
Equal-i-zer hitch
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote