Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2013, 06:07 AM   #1

hensley arrow, propride 3p, and pullrite owners...

I am curious what made you choose the premium hitch that you did and not the others. Do you have any regrets after making the investment in one of these hitches? Is there anything you would have done differently now? If you had it all over to do again, is the hitch you got the same one you would get again? Have you had any problems with the hitch?

2013 Ford F150 Super-Crew
2014 Heritage Glen 312qbud
jjm901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #2
MC9

I have the Pullrite Super 5th. It is the only underbed mount if you have a drop-in bedliner. Impressive hitch.
MC9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #3

I have a hensely love it. I thought about getting something different but I know how I am and I wouldn't be happy . So I figured buy the best the first time and be done with it.
Smitty3215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #4

Own a pro pride P3 and feel very comfortable with my decision. Tows great and the piece of mind is priceless.
2013 Night Camping 41
kempoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #5

I had a ProPride P3 - recently traded for a motorhome is only reason dont have it anymore (sold on this forum in a day!). I looked at Hensley and ProPride. Went with ProPride as I found a used one before I found a used Hensley - dont think you could go wrong with either one. Would not tow without it, especially if you have a longer trailer. Huge difference. Piece of mind definately worth it - especially if you find a good used one. If we ever go back to a TT, will buy another one.
calsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty3215 View Post
I have a hensely love it. I thought about getting something different but I know how I am and I wouldn't be happy . So I figured buy the best the first time and be done with it.
Smitty,

Was the propride hitch available when you purchased your hensley, as they both work on the same principle I am curious what factors made you choose the hensley over the propride. Thanks.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #7

Went with ProPride for two reasons, one being price and second my thinking was it was an improvement over the original Hensley.

I wouldn't consider towing without my ProPride.

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #8

Thank you all for your inputs. Have any of you had any problems with your premium hitches? Are they quiet or loud like the equalizer. Do you experience the "hensley bump" often?

Old 06-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #9

I have the ProPride 3 P for third season now and has been my best purchase after the trailer, simple to install, to use and hook up. No issues so far since I had it. No noise and no "hensley bump" as you referred above. I would not tow a trailer the size I have without it. Sean from ProPride answered all my questions by e-mailed promptly. Before buying, I did a lot of research and read reviews, then why my purchase.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #10

Jjm the propride was available when I got my hensley. I just figured that they have been around so long and I read far more feed back that is who I would go with. I am not saying propride has a bad hitch because they are the Same principal. I can say this I have a backup cam on my expidition so it makes hook up a breeze. I couldn't imagine doing it without and I pull a trailer for work everyday. Any of these hitch setups you would be happy with it will be the best money you spent.
Smitty3215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
DDC

I have a Hensly and have had it for a long time, purchased it new after getting a demonstration back about sixteen or seventeen years ago. It has been on four different trailers now and apart from reprinting it it has been perfect I will not say that it never makes any noise as if you get them in the right spot it will tell you, I have had no maintenance problems, just keep it greased and it's happy as for the so called Hensley bump it does not exist, mearly an inexperienced person setting up a piece of equipment wrong, the trailer should never be pushing the tow vehicle while the brakes are applied as the trailer should be braking first.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #12

I have a Hensley and will never tow with anything else. Saved my skin once in an emergency and it handled perfect. No sway to begin with is the way to go!
Wumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:54 PM   #13

I just got a Hensley off Craigslist. I had the Equalizer for over four years and it was a good hitch. Safe, dependable, easy to adjust on the fly with the drop brackets. Sold it for most of what I paid for the Hensley.

What made me upgrade to the Hensley was a single ride with my buddy having one on his Airstream. I had been with him before with the chain snap up set up he had before. It was amazing the way it handled the crosswinds, compared to his previous setup.

I'll say this, I still know the camper is back there, but driving is so much more relaxed. I'm looking forward to our summer trip next week. A couple thousand miles will tell.

JR

2008 Toy Tundra DC 5.7L Bagged w/LTs
Hensley Arrow
2012 Windjammer 3001W, Atriumed
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:03 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Lucky Enough
Love my Hensley

I have a Hensley, neighbor has a Pro Pride. They behave the same while towing. I feel that I had more "complete" sales info from Hensley. The difference in the safety margin is worth the price. No more white knuckles makes every trip more relaxed and enjoyable. Tow more miles per day with the right set up. The safety and peace of mind have it all over a standard WD hitch. Read somewhere, many people won't tow the RV as often as they would like. Because they dread the behavior of the towing.

Windjammer 3008w
2010 F150 5.4l
Hensley Arrow
Roadmaster Active Suspension
Camped 25 days since March.
Lucky Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #15

I have a 35ft TT and I tried everything I could to control the sway and jerking around with the equalizer. The equalizer worked well on our smaller trailer, I think it was a great hitch for the right size trailer. So after researching the pro pride and Hensley, I bought the pro pride. It was the best purchase ever. This past weekend I traveled in 4 lanes of 70 mph traffic and not one issue. To anyone that is considering the purchase, do it. It is completely worth the money.
Hamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #16

every trailer should come with a hensley arrow hitch

the hensley arrow makes towing a trailer safe and enjoyable backinging up is easier why i do not know 100% no sway you cannot even make your trailer sway i have tried it will not sway or pulled into other lane by a passing semi every trailer should come with one it would safer for everyone on the road i drive a big rig and see it every day trailers near centre line when i pass them they then move to far side of the road also in high winds you are not blowing in the wind you just travel down the road again 100% no sway have had it on 2 trailers
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #17

I have Hensley Cub it changed the way the jeep felt in windy travel. Before it was unsafe in the wind and trucks passing in the wind was hold on. But with the hitch has helped so much. I can tell the wind is blowing and trucks passing but nothing like it was. Great product they should lower the price and put everyone out of the market. It's so much safer than any product out. So many people will say the don't have sway. But most have a large TV and a small TT or they travel at 60 miles per hour. So the Henley keep me from buying a larger TV.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #18

I have a Hensley cub (made for trailers under 6000 lbs) also. I did considerable research on hitch's. I have read a lot of people posting that they are overkill and over priced. Not one of those people actually owned a Hensley.

I could not find a single Hensley owner that was not satisfied with their hitch! I have two friends that have Hensley's and both spoke very highly of them. One experienced a double blow out on the interstate. He told me that the trailer stayed straight and he easily made a controlled stop. He wouldn't tow anything without one.

I did not look at propride because they do not offer the smaller version.

Good luck with your search. Oh Hensley also offers a very reasonable payment plan, not sure about propride.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #19

Adjustments made easy

After over 2400 miles of towing with the Hensley, it definitely gets a thumbs up. In Tulsa, OK, I had to swerve to avoid one of those big residential garbage cans on the interstate and the trailer tracked straight and true through the entire maneuver with no sway at all.

I set up this in cab monitor and was able to dial it in, centering it up.

Trailer brake set up is critical to eliminate the Hensley bump when stopping.

2008 Toy Tundra DC 5.7L Bagged w/LTs
Hensley Arrow
2012 Windjammer 3001W, Atriumed
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #20

Bought a Hensley in 1999 P3 as far as I know was not available. Had a trip that almost scared me into a motorhome. At the end of the trip ordered the promo video and after viewing it with some sceptacism decided to take advantage of the 60 day money back offering and ordered the hitch up which at the time with a very bad exchange rate put $4500.00 CDN on my credit card. It took about 6 hours to very carefully install it ( measure lots, drill once ). After timidly towing our trailer a few miles I bit the bullet and at about 50mph mashed the brakes expecting the trailer to start to come around, it didn't so I did it again with the same result. Since that day I have had some real emergency stops going from pavement to gravel ( avoiding an ambulance coming my way) experienced some horendous cross winds and extreme buffeting from transports without any sway and no stress trying to guess which way to steer the snake. My trailers have all travelled straight with no sway and the steering was predicable. Hitching up was a pain but we stuck with it and now is no big deal. I would't haul a travel trailer with out a Hensley or maybe the P3 there are no other comparable hitches
harell is offline   Reply With Quote