Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #1

Hensley Hitch

Anyone have experience with or input regarding the Hensley anti sway WD hitch? Supposed to be superior to the other hitches we chat about on the forum. Costs gobs more also. We ordered the Equalizer with our trailer, yet to be built/delivered, and from the threads i have read i am happy to have the Equalizer. Curious to read any comments regarding the Hensley.
Hensleymfg.com if interested.
Skabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
President ProPride, Inc.

I have some experience with it. I was the vice president of the company for 10 years.

Different animal from an Equalizer.

-
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #3

[QUOTE="Sean Woodruff"]

I'll say......from studying on their and other's websites. I am sure the Equalizer will serve us for now. My older sister wants me to get the Hensley cuz "its safer and better". So sick of her telling me what to do! I' m 55 years old for cryin out loud! Wanted input from folks hoping I could prove her wrong.

Hensley looks great but it would have to be a tax refund purchase if i went that way.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=Skabi;183781]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff

I'll say......from studying on their and other's websites. I am sure the Equalizer will serve us for now. My older sister wants me to get the Hensley cuz "its safer and better". So sick of her telling me what to do! I' m 55 years old for cryin out loud! Wanted input from folks hoping I could prove her wrong.

Hensley looks great but it would have to be a tax refund purchase if i went that way.
I don't think you'll find much support to prove her wrong. Sorry to do this to you but you might need to go back to your sister and tell her she's right.

The biggest difference is that Hensley (and Propride for that matter) will eliminate sway while Equal-i-zer can only mitigate sway. Same thing with Reese, Blue Ox, etc.

I am not suggesting you need to go that route, but Hensley and Propride are considered to be the best for a reason. They are safer.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
President ProPride, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff
My older sister wants me to get the Hensley cuz "its safer and better". So sick of her telling me what to do! I' m 55 years old for cryin out loud! Wanted input from folks hoping I could prove her wrong.

That's funny. You can tell her she isn't quite up to date on the best - the Hensley is a full generation behind -
Old 04-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #6

No, Triguy....there's no going back and saying she is right. She already knows that. Thats why she approached me cuz she knew she already had information to best me.

Concur with your info and comparisons with the Hensley. Hadnt heard of it and researched it today. Learn something every day! Don't show this to my sister!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #7

Oh, and i meant to say i will look you up for advice, Sean, if i decide to go the way of the Hensley or similar brand. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #8

Have the Hensley, no sway, maintains control of both TT and TV. Pricey, yes, but worth it in safety and quitness from my navigator. Would buy it again and also take a serious look at Sean' s Propride. The other weight hitches helped on our old 30' Wildwood, but never quiet gave you that secure feeling. They all work better or worse for different people.

Have a fantastical time RVing.
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skabi
Anyone have experience with or input regarding the Hensley anti sway WD hitch? Supposed to be superior to the other hitches we chat about on the forum. Costs gobs more also. We ordered the Equalizer with our trailer, yet to be built/delivered, and from the threads i have read i am happy to have the Equalizer. Curious to read any comments regarding the Hensley.
Hensleymfg.com if interested.
We have the Hensley hitch and love it. I'm not afraid to pull our TT with it at all. Feels like I'm not pulling anything behind me!
Old 04-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
DDC

I have a Hensley and it's on it's fourth trailer now, never had any problems other than repainting it, keep it greased and although upfront cost is high it's cheaper than a funeral.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #11

I can't remember the final cost for mine, had an event or two on the way to Myrtle Beach in '08. They shipped one to me and have used it ever since. I figure the cost at about .0375% of the value of my rig, peanuts.

As for this...

"That's funny. You can tell her she isn't quite up to date on the best - the Hensley is a full generation behind."

You have made changes since your first ones, right Sean? Mine isn't like it came in the box either.

I think the construction of the head on the Hensley is better than the other hitch, my $.02.

As for the other comments here, the hardest part is just trying to tell someone what it is like because it almost sounds unbelievable. You really have to remind yourself you are pulling a trailer and that is no lie.

Let us know where your at, I would like to show you mine.
2021 Chevy High Country 6.6 gasoline
Hensley Arrow, best investment ever!
MIKE44460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #12

I went with the ProPride because The q&a, purchase and customer service after the sale were second to none.
And, as a dyed in the wool UGA Fan...I had to go with the ProPride black rather than the Hensley orange...it was too close to UT!
1973 Camaro RS, LS6/475hp, 6spd
skullskidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullskidr View Post
I went with the ProPride because The q&a, purchase and customer service after the sale were second to none.
And, as a dyed in the wool UGA Fan...I had to go with the ProPride black rather than the Hensley orange...it was too close to UT!
Well this leaves us with Chevrolet vs Toyota, you first
2021 Chevy High Country 6.6 gasoline
Hensley Arrow, best investment ever!
MIKE44460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #14

I'm still waiting for that really super awesome guy, Sean to send me one for $20 and a cat!

I would love to try one but it is a lot of $$$ for something only to find out it isn't that much better than what you have.

I know, I have heard the stories and talked to the folks that own them but the seat of the pants feel of actually using one is what I want. My trailer is only 21' long. Can it really be that much better?
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
President ProPride, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
I'm still waiting for that really super awesome guy, Sean to send me one for $20 and a cat!

I would love to try one but it is a lot of $$$ for something only to find out it isn't that much better than what you have.

I know, I have heard the stories and talked to the folks that own them but the seat of the pants feel of actually using one is what I want. My trailer is only 21' long. Can it really be that much better?

I already have a cat that drives me crazy...

As for the money, you can send it back and get all your money back if you don't like it. I'll even pay to ship it back. That's about the best I can do. I don't get any back so you'll have to be prepared to keep it.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #16

I just installed a Hensley on 4/15 and pulled my 34' TT for a total of 5 hours since last weekend. last year (our first year pulling a TT) I ran into some cross winds that made the back end of my TV feel like it was going to break traction. On our way home this weekend, we had stronger cross winds. My TT and TV handled them wonderfully! Last year, when I would pull, I was almost white knuckled at 10 and 2 on the wheel... this year, I was able to rest my hand(s) on the wheel even while being passed by the big rigs. I don't know the first thing about Sean's ProPride, but I will tell you my Hensley has made pulling my TT a dream. I know feel comfortable pulling anywhere DW wants to go.

Now if only I could get 20+ MPG
Old 04-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #17
President ProPride, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrye5853 View Post
I just installed a Hensley on 4/15 and pulled my 34' TT for a total of 5 hours since last weekend. last year (our first year pulling a TT) I ran into some cross winds that made the back end of my TV feel like it was going to break traction. On our way home this weekend, we had stronger cross winds. My TT and TV handled them wonderfully! Last year, when I would pull, I was almost white knuckled at 10 and 2 on the wheel... this year, I was able to rest my hand(s) on the wheel even while being passed by the big rigs. I don't know the first thing about Sean's ProPride, but I will tell you my Hensley has made pulling my TT a dream. I know feel comfortable pulling anywhere DW wants to go.

Now if only I could get 20+ MPG
No worries... most people that purchase a Hensley these days don't know about the ProPride 3P.

You'd be surprised at what keeping the trailer true behind the tow vehicle can do for your gas mileage. Look at the most recent review for the 3P hitch. The customer specifically addresses his gas mileage.

-
Old 04-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #18

Thanks Sean. I may just take you up on that challenge. I will need to search for a dealer in my area or is it online only?

Are you sure about the cat though? Ok then you give me $20 and I'll give you the cat! That's a deal!
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #19

I've had the 3P ProPride for one year now and for me is the best hitch on the market. Safety was my first consideration and I have never had any issues with it. Easy to install and also for hitching up between trailer and truck. Sean provides all info required when required.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE44460 View Post
Well this leaves us with Chevrolet vs Toyota, you first
Hey Mike...I'm not going to hijack the thread because I want us to be friends!
1973 Camaro RS, LS6/475hp, 6spd
skullskidr is offline   Reply With Quote