Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #21
President ProPride, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmand001 View Post
No hype, Andersen NO-sway WDH, says it on the installation manual. Their liable if not true, one would think. We're all ignorant till we have gathered enough conclusive information on things we do not know about. The ball tapered shank, brake pad and bushing setup of the Andersen no-sway WDH is new and the genius of the system. There's nothing like it, it's better. To put it simply, it's like the disc brakes in a car, it will stop the car when enough pressure is applied. It's like having a sway detector built in, not allowing sway to take place, applying the right amount of pressure needed.
Yes, I'm well aware of the NO-sway term. I am the first person to ever use it in marketing and selling of a hitch. I purchased the domain name. I put it on the brochures. I'm pretty aware of what NO sway means. In fact, the term NO sway applied to the hitch isn't even logical. The friction is only activated by a sway event so labeling the hitch as NO sway doesn't really work if one thinks it through.

Interesting comment about a brakes. Doesn't a car have to be moving for the brakes to stop the car? So, that means the trailer has to be swaying for the hitch to stop it? Why would you want the trailer to sway in the first place? Would it be better to actually HAVE a heart attack or would it be better to prevent it from beginning?

Brakes are also sized for the vehicle. How does the Anderson hitch vary in size for different GVWR and tongue weights of trailers? And, within the changing variable of tongue weight how does it apply consistent damping pressure? When there is less tongue weight on the hitch there must be less "braking" and when there is less "braking" (less friction) the trailer will sway more?

Quote:
BTW, some dealers have it below $400 which will not break the bank. Try it and it will clear up the hype and ignorance for sure.

When there's something new it will be challenged as it should. There's now a better way in hitching, find out first hand.
They ought to know about what it's worth.

There is no ignorance on my part. I know exactly how it is damping sway once it begins. It is FRICTION. Friction is only as good as the FORCE it is able to apply. Once that friction force is exceeded the trailer will sway. If that is not the case I wonder what else they taught me in engineering school that was not needed. Based on your car brake analogy I know you aren't disputing the use of friction.

Another point to consider... what happens once that friction force is exceeded and the trailer is now at an angle to the tow vehicle? Do you have to apply an equal sway force in the opposite direction to get the trailer to come back to center?

Once again, we can clear all this up if each of the hitch companies will put up around $25,000 to have all the testing done. I've already had it quoted. I'm open to doing that. All they need to do is agree. Otherwise, it is just opinions even when I detail the exact physics behind what is happening.

Finally, I'm not arguing about the Anderson hitch being good or not. I only pointed out the fact that it is in NO WAY equivalent to the Hensley Arrow or the ProPride 3P. The Arrow and 3P are closer to a 5th wheel hitch than they are any of the conventional hitches because they place the pivot point at the same location as a 5th wheel hitch places the pivot point. I wonder why 5th wheel hitches don't use any friction to counteract the pivoting...

-
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #22
DDC

Once you have the best why would anyone want to try something that may or may not be as good, I have used quite a few different hitches over the last forty years and nothing comes close to the Hensley if I were dead Hensley would be heaven.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #23

I have used both the Equalizer 4 point anti-sway system as well as the Reese Dual Cam system on my rig. Both of these system reduced sway until you got on the interstate with the big rigs. Then I would notice sway everytime a big rig passed me. I was only able to maintain speeds of 55 to 60 mph on the interstates or I would have to deal with sway. I went with this type of system for over a year and then I purchased a used Hensley Arrow for $850 and I love this system. I have only used the Hensley for about a year now but I have not had any problem with sway no matter where I drove. I have had my rig on interstates and I can now run whatever speed that I want to without worrying about other larger rigs. I actually have to monitor my speed more now because my rig pulls so good that I find that I am going past the 70 mph speed without realizing it. I will not give up my hensley arrow and if something happens to it then I will find another one. I actually find the Hensley easy to hook up. Yes, you have to treat it differently than you do the other hitches but it is just a matter of getting used to that system.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:48 AM   #24
President ProPride, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota EV View Post
I have used both the Equalizer 4 point anti-sway system as well as the Reese Dual Cam system on my rig. Both of these system reduced sway until you got on the interstate with the big rigs. Then I would notice sway everytime a big rig passed me. I was only able to maintain speeds of 55 to 60 mph on the interstates or I would have to deal with sway. I went with this type of system for over a year and then I purchased a used Hensley Arrow for $850 and I love this system. I have only used the Hensley for about a year now but I have not had any problem with sway no matter where I drove. I have had my rig on interstates and I can now run whatever speed that I want to without worrying about other larger rigs. I actually have to monitor my speed more now because my rig pulls so good that I find that I am going past the 70 mph speed without realizing it. I will not give up my hensley arrow and if something happens to it then I will find another one. I actually find the Hensley easy to hook up. Yes, you have to treat it differently than you do the other hitches but it is just a matter of getting used to that system.

Your post explains exactly what I mean when I say that the sway forces will be greater than the friction forces that the hitch can apply. It's simple physics. The projected pivot point (3P) completely changes the dynamics of the towing and does not require any friction to damp sway because sway does not begin.

I agree about the hitching. I can hitch and be ready to roll much faster than anyone with a conventional system. It is different but not difficult if you follow the correct procedure. We've also redesigned the ProPride 3P hitch box so that it is even EASIER than the Arrow.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #25

I too tow with a Hensley. I have used other friction based hitches in the past and will NEVER go back to them. Is the Arrow and ProPride a little costly? Sure is, and after you tow with them you will know why. They are worth every penny IMO.
@Sean Woddruff...thank you for properly explaining the difference between ani-sway and No sway!
Wumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #26
2012 Rockwood 8312SS, 3P

I have Sean's ProPride hitch system- I pull a 35 foot 8312SS with an F150SuperCrew. The hitch is amazing- NEVER felt a sway in towing 3000 miles this past summer; wind, hills, 4 lanes, semi trucks- it NEVER SWAYED. Hooking on is as easy as pie- I think easier than a conventional hitch. I installed the ProPride system myself following the excellent installation guide. If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely buy this product. I investigated buying a used Hensley Arrow and in my opinion, the design and innovation that Sean has applied to the pivot point potential concept have put the ProPride at the leading edge of towing safety and comfort.
Ahector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #27
carl.net

Quote:
No hype, Andersen NO-sway WDH, says it on the installation manual.
There is no shame in being a shill for a product but you should at least be honest about it like Sean and identify what company you work for. I use a Reese but would consider buying Sean's product because he identifies who he is with and is showing that his company cares enough about its customers to support them on an open forum. Sean if I am in the market for a new hitch your product will be on my short list. A new user with their only posts adverting a product = no credibility.
Tekonsha P3 break controller
- 36 ft Monterey cabin cruiser, Stainless blender
Two 4.7 GXi I/O (2 x 320hp = 640hp)
carl.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #28

Kind of back to the original question, would you buy a used hensley. Yes, but only if you are prepared for some extra work. One, it will need a repaint and repack the bearings. Vintage Chevy orange ( duplicolor DE 1620) from napa is real real close color match. Two, buy a parts kit from hensley and replace all of pins, etc. Three, make sure you have the right drop for the stinger for your vehicle. I happen to have a 4" drop that I don't use. I would sell. You may have to get the jacks or other hardware rebushed, it's easy for a good welder to do , I had to rebush the struts because the previous owner never did a lube on it, our hitch is now on its 3rd. trailer, would NEVER tow without it.
Dave and Rainy
daverain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #29
2012 Rockwood 8312SS, 3P

Carl.Net: Ouch- that felt a bit angry. Not sure where I work has anything to do with being a satisfied customer- that being said I am a retired teacher with about 20 years of towing experience. Have used Reese, and Equalizer among others. Like daverain- won't tow without my Pro Pride given the pivot point potential aspect of the design.
Did I miss this forums rules about supporting good products, credibility and disclosing employment?
Ahector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #30

Well I feel that I should respond to this thread....I didn't end up buying the used Hensley. Looked at it and it needed some work. Also needed to exchange the drop bar. By the time it would be said and dome I would be over 1k. That would pay for camp spots for the next 5 years! Decided to make some adjustments to my centerline and move some stuff forward in the trailer. Also read a little about the "Hensley Bump" that both Hensley and pro pride can generate and it scared me a little. While the Hensley and pro pride seem to eliminate sway...I have tuned my centerline to the point I am much more comfortable towing with it. It's not like I forget the camper is there it's much more manageable. Both Hensley Nd pro pride seem to make a good hitch...it's just not worth the cash in my opinion.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #31
President ProPride, Inc.

If the "Hensley Bump" scares you more than trailer sway you may want to re-evalutate. It's not even close to being as dangerous or as common as trailer sway. And, it doesn't exist in 99%+ of the trailers that have the brakes working.

Keep your speed down to under 50 mph and you'll never have a problem with your Centerline.

-
Old 12-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #32
DDC

Anyone who has a "Hensley or Pro-pride bump" does not know how to set-up their trailer brakes properly and should really not be towing at all.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #33
carl.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahector View Post
Carl.Net: Ouch- that felt a bit angry.
Was not directed at you. Either way welcome to the board.
Quote:
Not sure where I work has anything to do with being a satisfied customer-
Generally does not. But what you will find is that companies will pay people to troll boards and advertise their products. For the amateurs all of their posts will look and sound like they came from a sales brochure and the only time they post is to advertise their products. Boards die a quick death if those types of folks are not called to the floor. (I have over 30 years running and moderating BBS and discussion boards)
Quote:
Did I miss this forums rules about supporting good products, credibility and disclosing employment?
Your post is quite good vs the shill so I do not think you missed anything.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
If the "Hensley Bump" scares you more than trailer sway you may want to re-evalutate. It's not even close to being as dangerous or as common as trailer sway. And, it doesn't exist in 99%+ of the trailers that have the brakes working.

Keep your speed down to under 50 mph and you'll never have a problem with your Centerline.

-
Sean- Really didn't intend to start a debate over what is better but will say that blanket statements such as yours do not make me want to go out and purchase your product. From an engineering stand point I completely understand how your hitch eliminates sway....with that said there are other options for safe travel. Sales 101- Understand that the competition is still in business for a reason.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #35
carl.net

RyanD, A complete thread derail I know, but do you ever dry camp in the Mark Twain forest near Fort lost in the woods? I see so few campers in that area even though the forest service has something like 1.5 million acres available for folks to use.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #36
President ProPride, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
Sean- Really didn't intend to start a debate over what is better but will say that blanket statements such as yours do not make me want to go out and purchase your product. From an engineering stand point I completely understand how your hitch eliminates sway....with that said there are other options for safe travel. Sales 101- Understand that the competition is still in business for a reason.

I'm not sure how you can construe what I posted as a debate. There is no debate in what I posted. Stating a fact, based on 16 years and thousands of examples, can be construed as a "blanket" statement? It is pure fact. If that debates criteria you used to make a decision, you didn't have the facts.

Secondly, everything I post is not to "make you want to go out and purchase my product." In fact, that didn't even cross my mind when I posted.

The competition being in business has nothing to do with Sales 101. I don't compete with Husky and don't even pretend to. The obvious performance advantages aside, I make a product in the USA and do not import it from China. That alone will make the product more expensive and people will make economic decisions regardless of facts to the contrary. That's Economics 101 and not sales.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.net View Post
RyanD, A complete thread derail I know, but do you ever dry camp in the Mark Twain forest near Fort lost in the woods? I see so few campers in that area even though the forest service has something like 1.5 million acres available for folks to use.
Funny you bring this up.....I was looking today at Mark Twain. I have never been camping there with the trailer but been many times on foot. Its a great area and their are a few COE campgrounds there if you dont want to rough it. Dont worry about the de-rail....its going nowhere anyhow!!
Old 12-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
I'm not sure how you can construe what I posted as a debate. There is no debate in what I posted. Stating a fact, based on 16 years and thousands of examples, can be construed as a "blanket" statement? It is pure fact. If that debates criteria you used to make a decision, you didn't have the facts.

Secondly, everything I post is not to "make you want to go out and purchase my product." In fact, that didn't even cross my mind when I posted.

The competition being in business has nothing to do with Sales 101. I don't compete with Husky and don't even pretend to. The obvious performance advantages aside, I make a product in the USA and do not import it from China. That alone will make the product more expensive and people will make economic decisions regardless of facts to the contrary. That's Economics 101 and not sales.
Thanks for the clarification....sure appreciate it. I had it all wrong.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #39
carl.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
Funny you bring this up.....I was looking today at Mark Twain.
Since you do not mind the derail check out this link. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=37.63...91113&t=h&z=16
This is the old trail rides location and has lots of open space (Think up to 200 campers easily) right on the Piney River. Would be an exceptional dry camping camping location. If you decide to use the location do not trust any road that shows you having to cross the Piney as most of them are old fords that no longer exist... Grin.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.net View Post
Since you do not mind the derail check out this link. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=37.63...91113&t=h&z=16
This is the old trail rides location and has lots of open space (Think up to 200 campers easily) right on the Piney River. Would be an exceptional dry camping camping location. If you decide to use the location do not trust any road that shows you having to cross the Piney as most of them are old fords that no longer exist... Grin.
When I was a kid i spent the summers with my Grandpa who lived just off Norfolk lake in Southern Mo. We would head north on the white river and spend the morning catching crawdads for limb lines, the afternoon pulling fish and rebating and the evenings camping and cooking the days catch.
All on the bank of the river....didnt know who owned it and were never asked to leave. Lots of little spots like that in Mark Twain.