Old 08-12-2016, 02:33 PM   #11
Some guy in back...

Both are great hitches. I've towed a lot with a Hensley (34' Cedar Creek Bunkhouse for 8 years), installed it myself, learned how to hook up and it is as good as everyone says. I'm rebuilding a used Hensley right now from a friend who ditched the hitch for a Propride. He has towed with both and the features appeal to him (as to others) more than the Hensley.
For me, I don't like the look of the Propride. It looks more bolted together than the Hensley and more bulky for some reason. In either case, if you are not going to install it yourself, find someone you trust and who hopefully has done it before.

Both hitches will give you the best TT towing experience currently available.

Cheers!

'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:42 PM   #12
jammer 16

Have had a Hensley for 3 years. It's a beast to hook up sometimes it's taken over an hour to get the stinger in an locked one time we had had to take it all apart to get it hooked back up. It pulls like a dream is the only reason it hasn't make it to the scrap yard

rlschurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:19 PM   #13

Either

Both are the best and safest for towing !! The Hensley has a trade in program .If you ever go to a 5th wheel. I have heard they buy good money on trades.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:37 PM   #14

Had a question on the so called Hensley bump that people talk about. If your towing and your using the exhaust brake and tow haul mode to slow down and not the brakes, Do you still get the bump when the hitch pivots because the trailer brakes are engaged ? I would think you would and is it a hard slam or not to bad ? Thanks for and help or advice.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:14 PM   #15

I am sitting in Prince George BC today, on the unhurried road home. We left KY on May 6 headed to Alaska. Almost 14,000 miles on every kind of road imaginable so far on this trip, I have never for one second regretted my investment in the Hensley Arrow. We have had it 2 years and their support and service has been great
The first time I experienced that "Hensley bump" I nearly had a heart attack. (A panic stop for some idiot in a sub-compact who thought my braking was as good as his.) I was pushed forward at an angle and thought I was losing control. I changed brake controllers to a Prodigy 3 and that helped reduce the bump. It seems to not to bump so hard when gearing down without braking while going downhill. I have no exhaust brake so I cannot help with that.
Travel safe
On the road to ALASKA May 6, home Sept. 13, 2016. 23 states, 3 Canadian Provinces, up to the Arctic Circle, 17,300 miles, 131 days on the road. 1 flat tire, 4 oil changes. What a beautiful trip!
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordHauler View Post
I am sitting in Prince George BC today, on the unhurried road home. We left KY on May 6 headed to Alaska. Almost 14,000 miles on every kind of road imaginable so far on this trip, I have never for one second regretted my investment in the Hensley Arrow. We have had it 2 years and their support and service has been great
The first time I experienced that "Hensley bump" I nearly had a heart attack. (A panic stop for some idiot in a sub-compact who thought my braking was as good as his.) I was pushed forward at an angle and thought I was losing control. I changed brake controllers to a Prodigy 3 and that helped reduce the bump. It seems to not to bump so hard when gearing down without braking while going downhill. I have no exhaust brake so I cannot help with that.
Travel safe
Sounds like your trip would be the ultimate test . Thanks for the reply and have safe trip home.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red and 30WR View Post
Had a question on the so called Hensley bump that people talk about. If your towing and your using the exhaust brake and tow haul mode to slow down and not the brakes, Do you still get the bump when the hitch pivots because the trailer brakes are engaged ? I would think you would and is it a hard slam or not to bad ? Thanks for and help or advice.
I have felt the bump before. I had to adjust the brake controler. I'm not sure you would feel that with exhaust brake. I use my gears to slow down and never feel the bump. But that's a great ??
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:54 PM   #18

Yes, the bump can be annoying, I keep my older Prodigy 90185 at full with the camper loaded, seems to be the best setting and the bump stops.

The ProPride is a heavy unit, I remember when Sean shipped it to me it came is 3-4 boxes. I had trouble figuring out the height of the stinger. The easiest way I found is to install it on the trailer, level the trailer and then adjust the truck to it taking into account the drop in the tail end when the hitch weight hits it.

Personally I like the tail of the truck down just a bit with the WD tight and trailer level to a slight nose down. My camper has a lot of weight in the rear, my fresh water tank is aft axle. This weekend we are running off of the tank at a National Forest (has 50 AMP electric) so I will really see how mine is set up running with a full tank.
Nights Camped 2016 27

Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:29 PM   #19

So would you guys say that a Propride hitch elevates the bumper pull experience to that of a fifth wheel?
Or close to it?
Old 10-13-2016, 01:49 PM   #20
DDC

I used a Hensley for near twenty years it is The best hitch I have praised it many times, I have now switched to a fifth wheel and bought a BD3 air hitch from Hensley, I was able to trade in my old unit for just shy of what I paid for it.

Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hensley