Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2016, 01:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyB View Post
So would you guys say that a Propride hitch elevates the bumper pull experience to that of a fifth wheel?
Or close to it?
My answer must be tempered by the fact that I've never towed a fifth wheel. I would say yes, at least to a degree. The pivot point is indeed projected forward - you can tell by how the trailer cuts in behind the way a fifth wheel does.

You have to pay closer attention in tight turns. I always try to follow the outside of the turn - that keeps the inside trailer wheels off the curb and away from other vehicles.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyB View Post
So would you guys say that a Propride hitch elevates the bumper pull experience to that of a fifth wheel?
Or close to it?
Having driven a TT both with and without a Hensley Arrow and having also owned a 5th for a few years before going back to a TT, I find that you are correct. It does indeed come close to the towing experience of a 5th. The theoretical pivot point is projected forward and therefore you will have to get used to somewhat different turns than that of a regularly hitched TT. In my experience this is especially noticeable when backing up. It backs up much like a 5th. You might find it takes a bit of getting used to at first but with practice comes perfection!

kcdelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:50 PM   #23
jammer 16

Having had both yes
rlschurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:12 PM   #24

Having owned 3 different hitches there is no doubt if I am pulling a TT it will be with the HA. Is it perfect? no. I drove this weekend for 4 hours in 40+ MPH winds. I really only had 1 issue, I approached a large open bridge at 65 mph slowed to 50 mph as I got on the bridge got a really big push from the wind. It freaked out just about everyone behind me I was not that phased by it. I did dropped back to 45 mph, got across and back to 65 mph. It never left my lane It was just a big wiggle.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:12 PM   #25

Dealer installer comments

Just bought a new trailer and had the dealer install my ProPride. The dealership installers had installed Hensley's previously. The two guys doing the work commented a number of times about liking the PP better. Stuff like: "that's a great idea", "nice feature", etc. The only complaint they had was while connecting the yoke. They needed to adjust the location of the frame bracket to get it to fit correctly and it took a few minutes to realize that. Once they got that right all was well.
Esthetically, I like the black PP - matches the color of the trailer frame.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:06 AM   #26

I've towed the trailer in our signature with and without a Hensley with a longer wheelbase Suburban and the short wheelbase Yukon. I won't tow a travel trailer without a Henlsey now. Simply put - sway is eliminated. Period. End of story.
5Galvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:29 PM   #27

I love my 3P and have towed about 20,000 miles over the past four years with it. Something that comes up often is that it's harder to hitch up than a standard ball hitch.

The hitching with a 3P or HA is different from just getting the ball "pretty darn close" and dropping the trailer hitch to get it to slip over the ball.

I have found that leaving the 3P's jacks as loose as possible, so the 3P can move freely when the stinger enters, reduces the need for super precise backing.
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:37 PM   #28

I have had the Hensley Cub and now the Arrow. Both have been great and highly recommend it. Having said that when I bought my current Arrow, if not for the wonderful trade in I received from Hensley on my Cub and the fact I had a hitch bar, I would likely have purchased the Pro-Pride simply because of the adjustable hitch height set-up. Otherwise both are quality top notch and you cannot go either way.
Hermes1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hensley