Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #1

Hensley/Propride vs half ton trucks...too much?

With my continued struggles for a decision on how to make towing more stable, I am leaning heavily on trading my F150 in for a F250/2500. My biggest struggle with that is driving around that big of a truck daily combined with I will have my F150 paid off within a year...and its a 2016 I bought new to get exactly what we wanted from a towing perspective. (it is a nicely equipped XLT with a payload of 1740).

As we all know, the 3.5 eco has power for days. Never an issue. In general, it tows the 29' box (33'6 overall) down the road with the EQ4 hitch decent. 75-80% of the time you feel in complete control. Semis do not bother that much, but they do suck over slightly. Wind is obviously the worse...and in the summer in the midwest its always at least 10-15 mph. These winds it tows OK, get over 20 and things change fast.

Hensley/Propride hitches are always being recommended, typically to correct sway. Sway that is probably caused by bad TV/TT combinations. From all of my research it appears to be allowing half tons to tow 30'+ trailers without issue. Now, I do not want to really go down the road in this thread about weights, because my TT is within all limits for my F150. I am within 100 lbs of the payload limit, which is the closest to any of the ratings.

So my first question is, do these hitches provide false sense of security for lighter trucks (that are still within the tow limits) be able to pull longer trailers, safer?

Considering these expensive hitches for myself, I have heard that due to the design it shifts some of the load of the hitch itself. Meaning, my EQ4 weighs about 115 lbs. The Hensley weighs about 170-190 (I have seen). Isnt that an additional 60 lbs directly on the tongue? Has anyone that has gone from a friction hitch to a H/PP weighed the TW before and after to see? Some say how it links with the TV keeps the weight the TV feels similar to the EQ4 since it increases the distance/leverage of the TV/TT to put most of that new weight on the trailer frame. I view it as still adding additional weight to the truck; a rating I am already near.

There seems to be a theme on RV forums that you should get 2x the truck for your trailer, but to me hitches like this seem to work and change that thought. While the hitch is expensive, it still way way cheaper than trading the truck and starting payments over again.

Finally, i have yet to find any comment that claims they do not work as advertised.
gone: 2013 F150, standard Tow
2018 Rockwood 2905ws Emerald Package
Propride hitch
Lzerarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #2

Yes, it will be an additional 60 lbs on the tongue.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #3

Doesn't really matter what others say as no one has your truck/trailer combination. The only way to find out if it would solve your 'problem' is to buy one and try it for a season or two. I put problem in quotes because it seems everything is fine, but you are not comfortable on windy days. Slowing down is the best thing you can do in the wind. My truck axles carry 8600lbs and trailer axles are 7200lbs. Do you know what your weights are?

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzerarc View Post
With my continued struggles for a decision on how to make towing more stable, I am leaning heavily on trading my F150 in for a F250/2500. My biggest struggle with that is driving around that big of a truck daily combined with I will have my F150 paid off within a year...and its a 2016 I bought new to get exactly what we wanted from a towing perspective. (it is a nicely equipped XLT with a payload of 1740).

As we all know, the 3.5 eco has power for days. Never an issue. In general, it tows the 29' box (33'6 overall) down the road with the EQ4 hitch decent. 75-80% of the time you feel in complete control. Semis do not bother that much, but they do suck over slightly. Wind is obviously the worse...and in the summer in the midwest its always at least 10-15 mph. These winds it tows OK, get over 20 and things change fast.

Hensley/Propride hitches are always being recommended, typically to correct sway. Sway that is probably caused by bad TV/TT combinations. From all of my research it appears to be allowing half tons to tow 30'+ trailers without issue. Now, I do not want to really go down the road in this thread about weights, because my TT is within all limits for my F150. I am within 100 lbs of the payload limit, which is the closest to any of the ratings.

So my first question is, do these hitches provide false sense of security for lighter trucks (that are still within the tow limits) be able to pull longer trailers, safer?

Considering these expensive hitches for myself, I have heard that due to the design it shifts some of the load of the hitch itself. Meaning, my EQ4 weighs about 115 lbs. The Hensley weighs about 170-190 (I have seen). Isnt that an additional 60 lbs directly on the tongue? Has anyone that has gone from a friction hitch to a H/PP weighed the TW before and after to see? Some say how it links with the TV keeps the weight the TV feels similar to the EQ4 since it increases the distance/leverage of the TV/TT to put most of that new weight on the trailer frame. I view it as still adding additional weight to the truck; a rating I am already near.

There seems to be a theme on RV forums that you should get 2x the truck for your trailer, but to me hitches like this seem to work and change that thought. While the hitch is expensive, it still way way cheaper than trading the truck and starting payments over again.

Finally, i have yet to find any comment that claims they do not work as advertised.
First of all you will always know the tt is back there . even though you may get the saying can't even tell it's back there . what you describe is fairly common no matter the hitch semi's will always suck you in and spit you out . the big thing is it should not cause sway . the TV and TT should travel as one . so question is how is your truck set up . type of tires are they the p rated passenger or have you up-graded to the lt E load . that will make a huge difference . also TT do you have stock tires like the d rated ? or the bit stiffer e rated ? then we get to loading the TT weight forward TW is your friend . so many variables . does no good to add a hitch to cover symptoms of a bad set up .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #5
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Putting a bandaid on an open wound does not usually heal the wound correctly.

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Doesn't really matter what others say as no one has your truck/trailer combination. The only way to find out if it would solve your 'problem' is to buy one and try it for a season or two. I put problem in quotes because it seems everything is fine, but you are not comfortable on windy days. Slowing down is the best thing you can do in the wind. My truck axles carry 8600lbs and trailer axles are 7200lbs. Do you know what your weights are?
"So my first question is, do these hitches provide false sense of security for lighter trucks (that are still within the tow limits) be able to pull longer trailers, safer?" To answer this question, they are not a false sense of security, they work as advertised through pivot point projection. Essentially the pivot point will not be at the trailer ball, instead it will be closer to your trucks rear axle. This makes the truck and trailer move more as one unit. You can find good explanations and videos on the net.
phfkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:04 PM   #7
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by phfkef View Post
"So my first question is, do these hitches provide false sense of security for lighter trucks (that are still within the tow limits) be able to pull longer trailers, safer?" To answer this question, they are not a false sense of security, they work as advertised through pivot point projection. Essentially the pivot point will not be at the trailer ball, instead it will be closer to your trucks rear axle. This makes the truck and trailer move more as one unit. You can find good explanations and videos on the net.
But are you really within tow limits?

Give us your real numbers...not from a book or a website.

If anyone is uncomfortable towing, even within specs, then you really are not within the real tow rating!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #8

Phf,

Not sure why you are quoting me in your post.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #9

I am within the limits, on paper. I say on paper because we all know a TT exerts more force or weight the TV feels vs the numbers on the page. What that number or % is, I do not think anyone really knows. If they do I would love to hear and see the calcs behind it.

But if you must know, MY numbers are:

Trailer is Rockwood 2905ws
measured loaded TW- about 850 lbs (you can see my Sherline scale thread)
loaded weight about 7600 lbs (I say about since it will flex +/- depending on length of trip)

Other cargo in the truck:
people, small dogs, some wood, hitch= 780 lbs
if we bring kayaks it becomes about 870 lbs

MY truck's numbers are:
3.5 Eco w/ Max Tow package
gears: 3.55
11,500 tow rating (3030 under)
1780 payload (60 under using max load, otherwise more typically 150 under)
GVWR 7000 lbs (60 under)
GCVW 17,000 lbs (2400 under)

The truck as factory P rated tires on them. I have considered upgrading to LT. I have also considered adding some suspension upgrades such as roadmaster active suspension.

I typically run them at 35 psi, however on one longer trip I took them up to 45 (max) and I feel like it helped, but hard to tell without more testing.

Trailer tires are also stock. Do not recall what they are.

I will also add that I always tow slower and never a rush. I typically go between 60 and 65 miles per hour sometimes 70 if there's a clear day. I will slow up to whatever I need to if I'm sensing some sway to where it's comfortable. The EcoBoost likes to get out and go so I'm often watching that.
Propride hitch
Old 01-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #10

My TV is a Tundra 5.7. I had a Cougar XLite, 37’, 7,800 lbs, loaded, (cat scale). I wasn’t over maximum axle weight and just under payload maximum. After a trip towing in high winds, I realized a 37’ billboard in the wind was nerve racking at best. After much angst, thought and research, I purchased the Hensley Arrow Hitch. The towing difference was night and day. No more sway caused by wind and no more truck suck. The weight police would say get a bigger TV. Or why spend $2k on a hitch? My thought was my TV and TT were balanced, as I often weighed at Cat Scales. And a bigger truck cost lots more than a Hensley. Not to mention, I love our Tundra.
I never regretted buying the Hensley. As with anything new and different, there was a big learning curve. The biggest learning curve was hooking up and unhooking. Practice makes perfect, after a while, that became simpler than our typical WD/sway hitch we previously used. The other learning curve was setting the brake controller much more aggressive.
I’d tell anyone, if you can afford a bigger TV, you can afford a Hensley. I’d say if you not over your TV towing capacity, and not over on your axle and payload weights, you don’t need a bigger TV. Only you can make that decision.
Look online at the comments by people who have made the switch to the HH or PP, most if not all are positive with their results.
Anyway good luck.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:50 PM   #11

We towed with a Hensley until we got our first fifth wheel. 26' TT. Started with a V8 Explorer and the Hensley. Worked great. No sway, solid as a rock up and down the East coast, including the Blue Ridge Parkway. Eventually upgraded to a full size van with a V10 for cross-country trips but kept the Hensley. Loved that hitch. Hensley even bought it back from us about 10 years after we bought it. Said it was too old for them to resell, but they'd buy it back from us anyway. If we ever go back to a TT it'll have a Hensley on it.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Circus View Post
My TV is a Tundra 5.7. I had a Cougar XLite, 37’, 7,800 lbs, loaded, (cat scale). I wasn’t over maximum axel weight and just under payload maximum. After a trip towing in high winds, I realized a 37’ billboard in the wind was nerve racking at best. After much angst, thought and research, I purchased the Hensley Arrow Hitch. The towing difference was night and day. No more sway caused by wind and no more truck suck. The weight police would say get a bigger TV. Or why spend $2k on a hitch? My thought was my TV and TT were balanced, as I often weighed at Cat Scales. And a bigger truck cost lots more than a Hensley. Not to mention, I love our Tundra.
I never regretted buying the Hensley. As with anything new and different, there was a big learning curve. The biggest learning curve was hooking up and unhooking. Practice makes perfect, after a while, that became simpler than our typical WD/sway hitch we previously used. The other learning curve was setting the brake controller much more aggressive.
I’d tell anyone, if you can afford a bigger TV, you can afford a Hensley. I’d say if you not over your TV towing capacity, and not over on your axel and payload weights, you don’t need a bigger TV. Only you can make that decision.
Look online at the comments by people who have made the switch to the HH or PP, most if not all are positive with their results.
Anyway good luck.
thanks your feedback is pretty typical of anyone who has that hitch. My question for you is do you ever see hooking or unhooking issues when you can't be straight on such as your truck has to be turned slightly due to a short campsite or you have a uneven campsite?
where your truck is pitched or sloping differently from the level camper? I have had situations in the past , not too often, where getting into the site made my truck have to be at an angle and it made getting The Equalizer hitch off difficult at times as well. that is my biggest concern with these types of hitches.
Propride hitch
Old 01-19-2019, 01:05 PM   #13

You are correct, by the numbers you are good. Like others have said if you don't feel comfortable the numbers don't mean anything. Will the upgrade in hitch help, yes. I would go to LT tires with a weight rating of E and run 70-80 lbs in the rear. That rating gets you a 10 ply rating which is much stiffer than the car rated tires you are running. I am surprised your truck has a GCVW of 17K. My 2500 Silverado 6 litre gas with 3.73 rears is rated at 16K. We have a Hensley Hitch. Now my TT is longer and heavier than yours. Our old TT weighed about 500LBS more and was about 18 inches longer than our current TT. Both feel to me to be at the limit of my truck with the Hensley Hitch. That is why when we bought the new TT I was looking to be just a bit shorter and lighter. All loaded and ready to go our TT is around 8500. Truck with full fuel load, passengers, and gear is around 7000LBS. That puts me real close to my GCVW. When towing with the Hensley Hitch I could go beyond the GCVW and be comfortable. However for total control in all conditions, especially unplanned stops, I'm good where I am at. If you upgrade tires and hitch you still feel a truck upgrade is needed you can take the Hensley with you. Going from truck to truck is easy.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:10 PM   #14

Just read your last post. Never have had any issues hitching. It is no more difficult than a ball and there is some movement left to right the way the hitch is built. Center up and adjust height when you are a few inches from hitch. Keep the stinger greased well. When backing in be sure to do that with some force to help force the stinger into the hitch. I always equate it to a train hitching another car, need a little bump to engage the hitch,
Hensley Hitch
Old 01-19-2019, 01:28 PM   #15
Was

Quote:
thanks your feedback is pretty typical of anyone who has that hitch. My question for you is do you ever see hooking or unhooking issues when you can't be straight on such as your truck has to be turned slightly due to a short campsite or you have a uneven campsite?
where your truck is pitched or sloping differently from the level camper? I have had situations in the past , not too often, where getting into the site made my truck have to be at an angle and it made getting The Equalizer hitch off difficult at times as well. that is my biggest concern with these types of hitches.
I have a very similar set up 2016 ecoboost and slightly larger trailer. I made the decision that a Hensley hitch was much cheaper then a new truck. The Hensley is worth the money, no sway from wind or passing trucks. There is a learning curve hooking it up, but once you do it a few times ,it’s just as quick and easy most weight distribution hitches. When hooking up at angles or on inclines the head of the Hensley does pivot and is what I’d describe as floating under the ball, so it will move and basically adjust itself to accept the shaft. I did have one site where the truck was at an extreme angle to the trailer and I had to manually move and hold the head at an angle while my wife backed the truck into it. My advice is get a Hensley , you won’t regret it.
Was is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:38 PM   #16

I've used a Hensley Arrow on my 2012 F-150EB, towing close to 9,500 lbs in a 35' trailer at times all over the western US and southern Canada. I say I'll never pull another trailer, especially one > 30', without it.
jrmartin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:13 PM   #17

I own a Hensley Arrow hitch for the past 11 years. It was first installed on a 2007 Coachman TT with one slide and grossing out at 9500 lbs. Remember that the Hensley weighs nearly 200# itself! Add that to your payload on the truck hitch weight! You can quickly exceed payload on your truck/ hitch! My first tow vehicle was a 2007 tundra with the 5.7 l engine. I also added firestone airbags to assist in the payload department. The Hensley made traveling feeling very safe and I found myself driving one-handed 95% of the time. Trucks and crosswinds had little effect on tracking! I travel from Arkansas to Whidbey Island Washington each year! 2400 miles one-way! Presently I own a 2017 Lacrosse 335RKT with three slides and grossing out near 13000#. Still using the same Hensley but transferred to the new trailer. I did upgrade to a Ram 3500 single rear wheel diesel. Though payload is not a problem, I still added firestone airbags. I learned that riding on airbags at 30-40# is way smoother than just using the truck's springs! The truck and TT travel down the road perfectly level. The tundra towing the 9500 # trailer got at best 8 mpg on level ground. The Ram 3500 towing a 13000# trailer gets 10.5 to 11 MPG on level ground. The other improvement with the bigger truck is stopping performance. I brought the new TT home with the tundra and quickly discovered the brakes were not adequate for this weight of trailer not to mention the dismal MPG! I knew I was near truck capacity but the trailer was unloaded and I knew the new truck was forthcoming. I highly recommend the Hensley hitch! Call them directly and see if they have a refurbished hitch available. You get the same lifetime warrantee but save hundreds on cost! As far as upgrading your truck, that's your call! I do recommend adding airbags though! Have a great camping experience!
rdolan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:29 PM   #18

Quote:

Initially I was concerned with everything that you mention. Other than our first trip with the Hensley, (comical) I can’t recall ever being in a situation where hooking back up was a problem. The folks at Hensley told me, if you unhook, disengage the stinger from the vehicle, then you’ll be able to hook back up in the same position, duh, never had looked at it like that, but it is that simple. The hitch is very versatile when needing to make hooking up adjustments, it’s just another learning curve.
One of the best things is that there are no W/D bars to remove, no sway gadgets to remove, not having to worry with your hands and clothes being covered with grease.
Like others have posted, once you tow with the Hensley, 1, you’ll be glad you did, 2, you’ll kick yourself for not pulling the trigger sooner, 3, there’s no going back.
BTW, you’ll get approached when camping with guys wanting the know how it works. I’ve had so many people tell me they would never pay that much for a hitch, while driving a $80,000 TV.[emoji12]
Old 01-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #19

As rdolan5 said Hensley does sell refurbished and they are as good as new! Also check all the selling sites, Craigs List etc. We found ours 6 years ago for $750. It was in St Louis, 11 hours away, and for the price the seller did not want any thing to do with shipping. Since we had family there we drove and picked it up. He had another stinger built for it, adjustable like Proprides. So it came with two stingers. Don't be afraid to buy used, these are built very well. Propride works the same as Hensley so either will do the same. I wouldn't tow without one. Not because I couldn't do it but because of how much better it feels with it. I am 50 and have been pulling stuff around since I was 16 so I have a few miles of experience.
Hensley Hitch
Old 01-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdolan5 View Post
I own a Hensley Arrow hitch for the past 11 years. It was first installed on a 2007 Coachman TT with one slide and grossing out at 9500 lbs. Remember that the Hensley weighs nearly 200# itself! Add that to your payload on the truck hitch weight! You can quickly exceed payload on your truck/ hitch! My first tow vehicle was a 2007 tundra with the 5.7 l engine. I also added firestone airbags to assist in the payload department. The Hensley made traveling feeling very safe and I found myself driving one-handed 95% of the time. Trucks and crosswinds had little effect on tracking! I travel from Arkansas to Whidbey Island Washington each year! 2400 miles one-way! Presently I own a 2017 Lacrosse 335RKT with three slides and grossing out near 13000#. Still using the same Hensley but transferred to the new trailer. I did upgrade to a Ram 3500 single rear wheel diesel. Though payload is not a problem, I still added firestone airbags. I learned that riding on airbags at 30-40# is way smoother than just using the truck's springs! The truck and TT travel down the road perfectly level. The tundra towing the 9500 # trailer got at best 8 mpg on level ground. The Ram 3500 towing a 13000# trailer gets 10.5 to 11 MPG on level ground. The other improvement with the bigger truck is stopping performance. I brought the new TT home with the tundra and quickly discovered the brakes were not adequate for this weight of trailer not to mention the dismal MPG! I knew I was near truck capacity but the trailer was unloaded and I knew the new truck was forthcoming. I highly recommend the Hensley hitch! Call them directly and see if they have a refurbished hitch available. You get the same lifetime warrantee but save hundreds on cost! As far as upgrading your truck, that's your call! I do recommend adding airbags though! Have a great camping experience!

The Tundras are a beast, and they do like to be fed when towing. I also had airbags installed, but only run at 25lbs. I’m amazed at some of the size of 5th wheels attached to Tundras. Many are full timers driving across country.
We live in Florida, so flat roads make for simpler towing.
The biggest issue with the Tundra is the low payload capacity and as you said, mpg.

Tags
hensley, propride, truck