Old 01-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #1

Hensley/Propride vs half ton trucks...too much?

With my continued struggles for a decision on how to make towing more stable, I am leaning heavily on trading my F150 in for a F250/2500. My biggest struggle with that is driving around that big of a truck daily combined with I will have my F150 paid off within a year...and its a 2016 I bought new to get exactly what we wanted from a towing perspective. (it is a nicely equipped XLT with a payload of 1740).

As we all know, the 3.5 eco has power for days. Never an issue. In general, it tows the 29' box (33'6 overall) down the road with the EQ4 hitch decent. 75-80% of the time you feel in complete control. Semis do not bother that much, but they do suck over slightly. Wind is obviously the worse...and in the summer in the midwest its always at least 10-15 mph. These winds it tows OK, get over 20 and things change fast.

Hensley/Propride hitches are always being recommended, typically to correct sway. Sway that is probably caused by bad TV/TT combinations. From all of my research it appears to be allowing half tons to tow 30'+ trailers without issue. Now, I do not want to really go down the road in this thread about weights, because my TT is within all limits for my F150. I am within 100 lbs of the payload limit, which is the closest to any of the ratings.

So my first question is, do these hitches provide false sense of security for lighter trucks (that are still within the tow limits) be able to pull longer trailers, safer?

Considering these expensive hitches for myself, I have heard that due to the design it shifts some of the load of the hitch itself. Meaning, my EQ4 weighs about 115 lbs. The Hensley weighs about 170-190 (I have seen). Isnt that an additional 60 lbs directly on the tongue? Has anyone that has gone from a friction hitch to a H/PP weighed the TW before and after to see? Some say how it links with the TV keeps the weight the TV feels similar to the EQ4 since it increases the distance/leverage of the TV/TT to put most of that new weight on the trailer frame. I view it as still adding additional weight to the truck; a rating I am already near.

There seems to be a theme on RV forums that you should get 2x the truck for your trailer, but to me hitches like this seem to work and change that thought. While the hitch is expensive, it still way way cheaper than trading the truck and starting payments over again.

Finally, i have yet to find any comment that claims they do not work as advertised.

2018 Rockwood 2905ws Emerald Package
Equalizer
Lzerarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #2

Yes, it will be an additional 60 lbs on the tongue.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #3

Doesn't really matter what others say as no one has your truck/trailer combination. The only way to find out if it would solve your 'problem' is to buy one and try it for a season or two. I put problem in quotes because it seems everything is fine, but you are not comfortable on windy days. Slowing down is the best thing you can do in the wind. My truck axles carry 8600lbs and trailer axles are 7200lbs. Do you know what your weights are?

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzerarc View Post
With my continued struggles for a decision on how to make towing more stable, I am leaning heavily on trading my F150 in for a F250/2500. My biggest struggle with that is driving around that big of a truck daily combined with I will have my F150 paid off within a year...and its a 2016 I bought new to get exactly what we wanted from a towing perspective. (it is a nicely equipped XLT with a payload of 1740).

As we all know, the 3.5 eco has power for days. Never an issue. In general, it tows the 29' box (33'6 overall) down the road with the EQ4 hitch decent. 75-80% of the time you feel in complete control. Semis do not bother that much, but they do suck over slightly. Wind is obviously the worse...and in the summer in the midwest its always at least 10-15 mph. These winds it tows OK, get over 20 and things change fast.

Hensley/Propride hitches are always being recommended, typically to correct sway. Sway that is probably caused by bad TV/TT combinations. From all of my research it appears to be allowing half tons to tow 30'+ trailers without issue. Now, I do not want to really go down the road in this thread about weights, because my TT is within all limits for my F150. I am within 100 lbs of the payload limit, which is the closest to any of the ratings.

So my first question is, do these hitches provide false sense of security for lighter trucks (that are still within the tow limits) be able to pull longer trailers, safer?

Considering these expensive hitches for myself, I have heard that due to the design it shifts some of the load of the hitch itself. Meaning, my EQ4 weighs about 115 lbs. The Hensley weighs about 170-190 (I have seen). Isnt that an additional 60 lbs directly on the tongue? Has anyone that has gone from a friction hitch to a H/PP weighed the TW before and after to see? Some say how it links with the TV keeps the weight the TV feels similar to the EQ4 since it increases the distance/leverage of the TV/TT to put most of that new weight on the trailer frame. I view it as still adding additional weight to the truck; a rating I am already near.

There seems to be a theme on RV forums that you should get 2x the truck for your trailer, but to me hitches like this seem to work and change that thought. While the hitch is expensive, it still way way cheaper than trading the truck and starting payments over again.

Finally, i have yet to find any comment that claims they do not work as advertised.
First of all you will always know the tt is back there . even though you may get the saying can't even tell it's back there . what you describe is fairly common no matter the hitch semi's will always suck you in and spit you out . the big thing is it should not cause sway . the TV and TT should travel as one . so question is how is your truck set up . type of tires are they the p rated passenger or have you up-graded to the lt E load . that will make a huge difference . also TT do you have stock tires like the d rated ? or the bit stiffer e rated ? then we get to loading the TT weight forward TW is your friend . so many variables . does no good to add a hitch to cover symptoms of a bad set up .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #5
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Putting a bandaid on an open wound does not usually heal the wound correctly.

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Doesn't really matter what others say as no one has your truck/trailer combination. The only way to find out if it would solve your 'problem' is to buy one and try it for a season or two. I put problem in quotes because it seems everything is fine, but you are not comfortable on windy days. Slowing down is the best thing you can do in the wind. My truck axles carry 8600lbs and trailer axles are 7200lbs. Do you know what your weights are?
"So my first question is, do these hitches provide false sense of security for lighter trucks (that are still within the tow limits) be able to pull longer trailers, safer?" To answer this question, they are not a false sense of security, they work as advertised through pivot point projection. Essentially the pivot point will not be at the trailer ball, instead it will be closer to your trucks rear axle. This makes the truck and trailer move more as one unit. You can find good explanations and videos on the net.
phfkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:04 PM   #7
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by phfkef View Post
"So my first question is, do these hitches provide false sense of security for lighter trucks (that are still within the tow limits) be able to pull longer trailers, safer?" To answer this question, they are not a false sense of security, they work as advertised through pivot point projection. Essentially the pivot point will not be at the trailer ball, instead it will be closer to your trucks rear axle. This makes the truck and trailer move more as one unit. You can find good explanations and videos on the net.
But are you really within tow limits?

Give us your real numbers...not from a book or a website.

If anyone is uncomfortable towing, even within specs, then you really are not within the real tow rating!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #8

Phf,

Not sure why you are quoting me in your post.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #9

I am within the limits, on paper. I say on paper because we all know a TT exerts more force or weight the TV feels vs the numbers on the page. What that number or % is, I do not think anyone really knows. If they do I would love to hear and see the calcs behind it.

But if you must know, MY numbers are:

Trailer is Rockwood 2905ws
measured loaded TW- about 850 lbs (you can see my Sherline scale thread)
loaded weight about 7600 lbs (I say about since it will flex +/- depending on length of trip)

Other cargo in the truck:
people, small dogs, some wood, hitch= 780 lbs
if we bring kayaks it becomes about 870 lbs

MY truck's numbers are:
3.5 Eco w/ Max Tow package
gears: 3.55
11,500 tow rating (3030 under)
1780 payload (60 under using max load, otherwise more typically 150 under)
GVWR 7000 lbs (60 under)
GCVW 17,000 lbs (2400 under)

The truck as factory P rated tires on them. I have considered upgrading to LT. I have also considered adding some suspension upgrades such as roadmaster active suspension.

I typically run them at 35 psi, however on one longer trip I took them up to 45 (max) and I feel like it helped, but hard to tell without more testing.

Trailer tires are also stock. Do not recall what they are.

I will also add that I always tow slower and never a rush. I typically go between 60 and 65 miles per hour sometimes 70 if there's a clear day. I will slow up to whatever I need to if I'm sensing some sway to where it's comfortable. The EcoBoost likes to get out and go so I'm often watching that.

2018 Rockwood 2905ws Emerald Package
Equalizer
Lzerarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #10

My TV is a Tundra 5.7. I had a Cougar XLite, 37’, 7,800 lbs, loaded, (cat scale). I wasn’t over maximum axle weight and just under payload maximum. After a trip towing in high winds, I realized a 37’ billboard in the wind was nerve racking at best. After much angst, thought and research, I purchased the Hensley Arrow Hitch. The towing difference was night and day. No more sway caused by wind and no more truck suck. The weight police would say get a bigger TV. Or why spend $2k on a hitch? My thought was my TV and TT were balanced, as I often weighed at Cat Scales. And a bigger truck cost lots more than a Hensley. Not to mention, I love our Tundra.
I never regretted buying the Hensley. As with anything new and different, there was a big learning curve. The biggest learning curve was hooking up and unhooking. Practice makes perfect, after a while, that became simpler than our typical WD/sway hitch we previously used. The other learning curve was setting the brake controller much more aggressive.
I’d tell anyone, if you can afford a bigger TV, you can afford a Hensley. I’d say if you not over your TV towing capacity, and not over on your axle and payload weights, you don’t need a bigger TV. Only you can make that decision.
Look online at the comments by people who have made the switch to the HH or PP, most if not all are positive with their results.
Anyway good luck.

Tags
hensley, propride, truck