Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2018, 09:28 AM   #1

Hensley? TT-TV-Sway control purchase work flow

Hello all !
We are total newbs out of the gate with months of research already done and this may sound like a dumb question. I am considering budgeting for the sway control/WD hitch options.

Ive already put money down/ordered my 2019 F250 gas-160" ( camper package / 12.5k max tow )
We are looking at TT Toy Haulers in the 8k-9k# empty weight range ( w/Max GVW maybe 1-1.5k# toys/ gear in the TT / plus 400-600# in the truck ) .
I have no idea how it will tow and what sway I will encounter.

My question is, before I spend the $2-3k on a PP3p / Hensley( which seems to be where most people who want their wives to feel safe driving and are interested in the safest towing experience end up , even after having the Equalizers / etc) , do you'all think I should wait and just drive it a little first? Is it possible I will not need anything? Is it safe to at least drive home from the RV dealer with nothing but a simple tow hitch? I guess Ill have to spend money on that, correct? Do I try the anti sway devices that are in the $500-600 range first and risk being out that money if I need something better?

As far as towing , what is the most cost effective work flow when purchasing from the ground up like we are?
Thanks for any help
Deanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #2

Spend the money on the Hensley/PP3 and you won't have to worry about sway again. Loved my Hensley, still have it just in case I decide to go back to travel trailer.
BessieHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #3
llr

you should have a WDH with builtin sway control such as the Blue Ox sway Pro or Equalizer 4pt or go all the way to the Hensley/PP. My personal opinion is the Hensley/PP are over priced but can compensate for some other issues. A well setup Blue ox or Equalizer will do fine.

as far as driving home, how far is this and how fast are the roads? what is the weight carrying capacity on the truck? A toy hauler will probably be close to 20% tongue weight without toys.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #4

That’s a lot of money for a hitch you may not benefit from. The Hensley tends to be more for the half-ton and SUV owners towing larger than they should. You should not need such a hitch with an HD truck. Get an Equal-I-Zer and drive with that first before you drop all that money on a Hensley or ProPride. One, you’ll know what the truck tows like with a good but much cheaper WDH with sway control and if you do decide to get the Hensley anyway then you’ll be able to compare how each one tows.

The Hensley/ProPride hitches have a good following and the hitch seems to work well, but it better for how much it costs. It’s just not always necessary to go that route.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #5

Depending on how far you're driving from the dealer and what the roads are like, you should have no problem getting home with just a regular hitch. This will allow you time to figure out your actual tongue weight all loaded up so you know how much hitch to get. I do recommend getting a WDH, though, even with an HD truck for when you do head out camping.

The equalizer does just fine for us, my wife has no concerns driving our setup with it. The only thing is it can be noisy at times, even if you lube it. This is my first hitch with sway control, and I have never had an issue with sway in the past towing with 1/2 tons or HD trucks. At this point, I can't justify buying a more expensive hitch for the amount we tow our TT. If we were to do more long trips I would consider looking into them.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:54 PM   #6

Equalizer worked great for me with 25' TT. Now have a Class C, so I let it go with sale. My friend had a similar setup, but bot the Hensley after massive research. He regretted it as it was so heavy and a real pain to hook up. He finally gave it up and bought an Equalizer like mine. He was VERY satisfied and relieved. He was not a newby as he has been doing this for many years. Just make sure you get the right size Equalizer. I had the 1000/10000. Much luck in your travels.
LaddDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:37 PM   #7

A 1200 or1400 Equalizer 4pt WDH should work just fine for you.
Ours worksjust perfect (one finger driving) towing a 29HFS with two HDs in the garage about #1600 to 1700. Lbs .But with things added to TT to get tongue weight back to 12% axles are about maxed out on weight...good luck and happy camping...

2017 XLR Hyper Lite 29HFS Toy Hauler
2013 Silverado 2500HD, Ext. Cab, 6.0L, 4x4
Harleys in the garage & our Lab in the backseat... Abby, aka – Abbygator Slobber Nasty
This is True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #8
Was

I have a Hensley and love it. Truly no sway when towing. I'm pulling a 33ft 7500lb travel trailer with a F150 and an Expedition. Hooking up is different and there is a learning curve, but after a few times its just as quick and easy as any other hitch. You probably wont need one with your set up, but after towing several thousand miles with mine, its the only hitch I'd want.
I made the mistake of starting with a lesser hitch and being unhappy. If you want to best possible towing experience get a Hensley or PP.
Was is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #9

Sway control

I pull a 2018 35 foot Rockwood Windjammer with a 2016 GMC 2500 HD. I have pulled it to Nova Scotia and back. I used a regular drop ball mount with one sway bar. I do have Firestone air shocks. Last year I pulled a 29 foot Rockwood to Alaska and back with a Huffy Centerline hitch. I have to say both pulled about the same. It is good that you have 3/4 ton. I love using the simple sway bar that attaches to welded ball mount bracket and the trailer A frame. No jacking up the trailer multiple times. I just drop the trailer on the ball and attached the sway bar. I would not do it with half ton. Love it.
DickieLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #10

8-9k toy hauler empty is pretty heavy. Having a smaller toy hauler myself I realized real quick how heavy they get. Full tank of water, all the gear, people and toys really add up. I’d be looking into slightly lighter toy hauler. Anyways the Hensley will really help when you have 1k of weight at the rear of the hauler. Toy haulers are back heavy when loaded. My Hensley was day and night difference from all other sway systems before. Have you thought of going 5th wheel and a larger truck? If I was looking into a 8-9k empty toy hauler I’d definitely be looking for a bigger truck.
deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:20 PM   #11

2019 F250 gas = $50,000

2019 Toy Hauler = $ 40,000

PP3 = $ 3,000 to have piece of mind after spending $90,000? Your call....
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #12

It's your money, so...

Do you want to go spend $600-800 on a different hitch and then change your mind?

I've said elsewhere - drum brakes are perfectly acceptable and will stop whatever they are put on, if maintained properly. Disc brakes stop better - faster and with less fade. Disc brakes are more expensive and more complex.

You pay your money and you take your chances. Personally, I've very happy with my ProPride. I've been in winds strong enough to deploy my manual trailer steps. On a trip to Florida, cross winds were strong enough that they sucked the underbelly off the front of my trailer. I knew I was driving in strong winds but the trailer followed the truck "like a little puppy".

YMMV
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:08 PM   #13

I have a blueox swaypro and a propride p3.

I towed ok for a year on the blueox with some minor issues up front (setup related) until you start pulling with lots of cross wind (over 15mph). I am pulling a 30ft trailer that comes in about 7200lbs fully loaded with an F150. I keep it about 7000ish because more weight makes me over on the rear axle. I did end up having to redo the setup on the blueox after taking it to be weighed early on.

After a few high wind tows I was not able to go faster than 50-60 comfortably and even then it was white knuckles the whole way. I tried towing a shorter distance with a borrowed f250 without a WDH (2.5in reciever prevented the WDH I had). The truck handled a LOT better but still some minor sway with winds which would be addressed with sway control of some sort.

After wind issues I bought the propride figuring I would use it on the 150 and if no improvements I would return it (60 day return policy) and just buy a better truck. I took the f150 and propride through Yellowstone on a 3k+ mi trip and was very happy with performance. While I still plan to upgrade trucks I am not in as big of a hurry to do so.

Propride is large (let's u open your tailgate hooked up!) and a longer install than my bluox with 4hrs vs 45min install. I find propride easier to hook up (when straight anyway) than the blueox but there are limits with propride where the sway bars block the tongue jack so you have to straighten it out. I swapped out the foot and made it better but not perfect. Once you loosen the WDH bars it is easier. I also broke WDH tower using my impact drill. They are including a note in future instructions and shipped me new pins. Support was great and they helped me out quickly while on the road to get back up and running.

I do agree with diseldrax that propride helps those at their weight limits, but it would make any TT handle a bit more like a 5er by moving the pivot point to the rear axle rather than the ball and I am very happy with 3months under my belt on it.

My warning would be know the 1500lb tongue weight limit and pull weight limits because your 250 can pull more than the hitch could and your toy hauler may be tongue heavy without the toy.

I would drive it and see what you are comfortable with. I think the propride would make for a smoother pull on any truck but it depends on if you think you need it. If you do get one make sure you request the 2.5in reciever up front and save the shipping.

I bought the propride for me not my wife. I no longer fear coss winds (even 35ish mph) and I am relaxed in all travel. I think with the blueox or equalizer and a 250 you would be fine based on the limited pulling I did on the 250. I would still use some sort of sway control.

If you are near ks I will loan/sell you the blueox until you decide but the propride would be a good investment as long as you meet the hitch weight limits. It really is about your budget and how comfortable you are with a setup.

Best of luck and happy camping!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #14

Buy the Hensley or ProPride

I am always amazed when members are willing to spend $30k on a TT and $60k on a TV and then complain about spending $3k on the most important safety component of a very complex mechanical system. The Hensley and ProPride systems do not reduce or dampen the sway you feel in the TV from being pushed around from behind by your TT. These hitches change the fundamental physics of the connection between the TV and TT. They ELIMINATE sway. Spend the money, you will not regret it. I don’t know about ProPride, but Hensley offers a 60 day money back guarantee. They do that because no one ever returns one.

Happy Trails,
Jamut
Old 08-23-2018, 04:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamnut View Post
I am always amazed when members are willing to spend $30k on a TT and $60k on a TV and then complain about spending $3k on the most important safety component of a very complex mechanical system. The Hensley and ProPride systems do not reduce or dampen the sway you feel in the TV from being pushed around from behind by your TT. These hitches change the fundamental physics of the connection between the TV and TT. They ELIMINATE sway. Spend the money, you will not regret it. I don’t know about ProPride, but Hensley offers a 60 day money back guarantee. They do that because no one ever returns one.

Happy Trails,
Jamut
I'm always amazed that people think you need to spend tons of money. I don't know a single person personally that has a Hensley or ProPride, but I know a lot that have a simple WDH with no sway control and no issues. Lots of people have gotten by that way for years. I'm sure they are an improvement, but not everybody needs them or wants to spend that money.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:03 PM   #16
larryandamy

Hensley hitch

You will get a bunch of answers ranging from "You don't need a hensley. Just get a bigger truck or a good WDH and anti-sway bar" to "Hensley will completely eliminate sway and white knuckle driving and I will never tow another TT without it"
The thing to notice is that the people telling you you don't need a Hensley have never driven a TT without and with a Hensley hitch. The ones telling you it is the only way to go have driven without and with a Hensley and 100% they will tell you they will never go back. I had a 27' Stealth Toy Hauler where I did everything suggested, WDH, tires, anti sway, TT weight distribution leveling.. everything and the sway got reduced, but never to where I did not still have a lot of white knuckled driving. I only got the Hensley because they give you a 60 day unconditional 100% refund guarantee if you don't like it. I don't think they have ever had one returned.
I am an engineer and i understand the Hensley technology which has a dual pivot point versus traditional single pivot point. The physics and force harmonics models tell it all. I can take the rig of any of these nay sayers with single pivot point and with 3 very poorly timed turns of the wheel, I can flip any of their rigs. Flipping is the number one cause of TT accidents. Put the Hensley on and it is impossible to flip the TT. The dual pivot point completely eliminate the harmonic forces that cause sway. And sway and a poor or distracted driver means trouble. Go to the Hensley website and watch the videos of them pulling a huge airstream through a slalom course. Or going off and on the road with a soft shoulder over and over again with no sway.
To me the new Hensley technology is so revolutionary it would have impact like seat belts did. If everyone had it there would be many lives saved and flip over accidents would virtually be eliminated. Some insurance companies actually give you a discount if you have a Hensley hitch.
AND... NO... I do not work for Hensley. I am just an engineer who appreciates genius engineering.
larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:27 PM   #17

I was one of the people who bought a toy hauler to close to the limits of my vehicle and the dealer set me up with an equalizer 4 point for $700. I loaded it up and made several desert trips and really quickly I realized I made a huge mistake. Yes I under my weight limits but sway and fish tailing was terrible. I would travel roads that had a speed limit of 55mph and 40-45mph was my speed. Then I jumped the freeway and at 54mph a box truck blew by and sucked and pushed me hard. I was like holy crap. I slowed down to 45mph and a semi truck decided to pass me. I had to move way into the shoulder just to avoid the truck sway and it still pushed me around. I was terrified and of course we had a big trip planned to Arizona in the coming months. I was thinking on canceling our trip. Then I started researching and came upon the Hensley. I financed one through Hensley on their payment plan with the full intent of returning it, if it didn’t live up to the claims. It took my dad and I a few hours to figure out the install but it all went smooth. If I did it again it would probably be an hour job. I made a desert trip and started off at my normal 40-45mph. By the end I was doing 55-60mph like everyone else. It was completely different. Then we made our trip to Arizona. For the first few hours I still hung on white knuckled every time a truck passed but became more comfortable. By the time we hit the 75mph areas I was towing at that speed with ease. Even when those crazy Arizona truck drivers would pass me at that speed my tv and trailer didn’t budge. Then on the way home we hit some winds past Blythe that were blowing so hard we couldn’t see the road. My sister and their rpod were all over the place but my rig didn’t even feel it. After that I sold my equalizer for $250 and never looked back. I love the Hensley and it completely changed my outlook on towing. It’s amazing.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #18

Lin’s, Perhaps you should get to know at least one person who is using a Hensley or ProPride before you take issue with my comment. They are profoundly different from the other WDH/sway control systems. Yes, they are more expensive expensive, but they are significantly different; both in normal driving conditions and unbelievably better in emergency conditions.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Lin’s, Perhaps you should get to know at least one person who is using a Hensley or ProPride before you take issue with my comment. They are profoundly different from the other WDH/sway control systems. Yes, they are more expensive expensive, but they are significantly different; both in normal driving conditions and unbelievably better in emergency conditions.

You’re right about the emergency situations, that’s one area that’s overlooked with the pp3 and Hensley.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:53 PM   #20

Quote:
I agree. You pay for most quality products. I do think it's pricey though. You see the same discussions around the Honda generators all the time but if your hitch fails you are more than just uncomfortable without power.

Hate the cost but love the performance. It does make it worth it for me but if I had been happy at 1/4 the price I never would have tried the p3 because of the cost at 4x higher than anything else. Every trailer combo is different and not everyone needs it but it will improve the performance on any trailer's sway.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hensley, sway