Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2019, 04:30 PM   #21
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swj View Post
How is the WDistribution dialed in with the Hensley/P3? Especially if you have to loosen and tighten every time you hook up? With the Equalizer 4 ,the WDistribution is set and you pop the bars on with the supplied pry tool. The weight dist. is all based setup/ front end measurements. Once the WD is set it never changes. When I read the Hensley/P3 owners manual, WD set up does not seem to be a priority. How good is Hensley/P3 at WDistribution? And where in the manual do they talk about WD set up? My TV is a F150 and I need my hitch be good at WDist as well as the sway control/elimination.
You set WD by the height you raise the WD jacks to. For me its 7.5 inches. I have painted a mark on the tubes where to raise to and use my 1/2" Electric drill (NOT impact) to buzz the jacks up. Takes about 10 seconds per side. I find the WD to be more than enough. I can shift too much weight to the steer axle if I want, just going up to 9 inches.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 04:36 PM   #22
swj

so, once you've hooked up and with a 1/2 inch drill, you can lower your trucks front end to the original height prior to hooking up?
swj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:03 PM   #23
Broken Toe

Quote:
so, once you've hooked up and with a 1/2 inch drill, you can lower your trucks front end to the original height prior to hooking up?
Yes. No issues there. You can also use the supplied ratcheting wrench if you don't have a drill handy

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 12-30-2019, 05:24 PM   #24

We have only used our Hensley Arrow WDH since purchasing our first travel trailer in 2003. Going on our 3rd TT, but we are keeping our HA even though we just updated our TV to RAM 2500.
Gottaluvlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:17 PM   #25
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I cannot recommend the Hensley or ProPride enough. These hitches are one of the few things you will ever find where all the hype you hear about it is true.

Simple truth is nothing equals the towing experience with a Hensley or ProPride. Some other hitches may even get up to "good enough". And if "good enough" is enough for some, then I'm happy for them and the money they saved. I never really got to "good enough" with my old hitch on my current camper. That's why I paid the money for a ProPride.

Which brings us to the only real decision point. Cost. You pay a lot for the difference between "good enough" and "good". Some blanch at the cost. Its a heck of a lot of money, and I was worried if it was a good investment. Till the first time passing a truck out on the highway. Then it went from "a heck of a lot of money", to "best money I have spent" in about 3 seconds.

Tim

P.S. I recommend paying attention to the guys who use one, and not so much to the nay-sayers who have never used one that tell you that it's a waste of money.
Tim, for your combination, a 12K Equalizer WDH should be more than capable for weight distribution. Sway control may be an entirely different matter for you though since you live in the Midwest where you’ll see crosswinds that I’ll probably never see up here. I totally agree that Hensley and Propride are tops for sway control but I’m not convinced that they provide as much, if any, superior performance for weight distribution.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:49 AM   #26

Everything cowracer said...I looked at the price and went a different direction until that pucker factor took me too far one day. Costs more to do it that way.

I have lines on the tank cover but like his idea better on the poles as the tank cover can move. On my blueox I painted the chain links with different colors based on loading as well as you had to unhook it each time. Consider this, how easy is it to adjust the e4 if you change weights? For the 3P you just jack it up higher with the tongue jack and raise the towers another crank or 2.

Sailorsam20500 helped me out with a few tips as well and fully loosening the hitch and wiggling the bars has worked in all the situations I have been in since doing it...that and a smaller foot on the tongue Jack. There is a learning curve as there is for all.

In terms of distribution it does better than my blueox offsetting the additional weight it brought to the table. It's still physics though and it can only do so much.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:09 AM   #27

Wow, I had no idea one could spend so much on a hitch. I’ve had many travel trailers over 50 years and never a sway problem. I learned early how to use a $300 WD hitch.

I once had one with sway control bars. It didn’t do anything and I saw some of the new ones require you to unhook the sway bars before backing. No way.

My last two trailers had electric jacks, one which I bought online for about $100. That made hooking up adjusting WD bars a little easier.

I live in ID. Frequent wind and mountain passes.

My trailers have been about 25 ft w dual axels. Last was Arctic Fox, which was relatively heavy. Always w 3/4 ton truck. I did have extra suspension elements because I also had pickup campers on trucks. Don’t think they affected sway with trailer.
IDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:31 AM   #28
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Tim, for your combination, a 12K Equalizer WDH should be more than capable for weight distribution. Sway control may be an entirely different matter for you though since you live in the Midwest where you’ll see crosswinds that I’ll probably never see up here. I totally agree that Hensley and Propride are tops for sway control but I’m not convinced that they provide as much, if any, superior performance for weight distribution.
I didn't buy it for weight distribution. Practically any WDH does that just fine. I bought it because it does not and can not sway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
Wow, I had no idea one could spend so much on a hitch. I’ve had many travel trailers over 50 years and never a sway problem. I learned early how to use a $300 WD hitch.

I once had one with sway control bars. It didn’t do anything and I saw some of the new ones require you to unhook the sway bars before backing. No way.

My last two trailers had electric jacks, one which I bought online for about $100. That made hooking up adjusting WD bars a little easier.

I live in ID. Frequent wind and mountain passes.

My trailers have been about 25 ft w dual axels. Last was Arctic Fox, which was relatively heavy. Always w 3/4 ton truck. I did have extra suspension elements because I also had pickup campers on trucks. Don’t think they affected sway with trailer.
Good for you!

Trust me, I wish I didn't have to drop the coin on the ProPride. I can think of a lot of other stuff I'd like to have spent the money on.

But one particularly wicked sway event that had me using up both lanes (Bless the trucker that set the sway off, he seen me in trouble and tossed out the big anchor to give me the room to gather it up), and that was enough for me. My rationale was $3k was chicken feed compared to how much it would have cost me to turn over in the ditch, or hit someone else.

I just can't get over the sheer number of people that seem to want to tell me I was wrong to buy it, or that all I needed was some adjustments on my old hitch (see above). It's like I was spending their money instead of mine. All I ever said was I had a massive issue, I bought the hitch, and now I tow completely relaxed. I never, nor will I ever, imply anyone else is stupid for not getting one.

I will say this. I think a lot of people believe their hitch tows just fine because they don't have anything else to compare it to. It's like thinking a 2012 Toyota Camry is a fine car and liking everything about it. Till you drive a 2020 Lexus LS. Then your get your frame of reference adjusted. It's easy to joke about "it tows like its not there" but once you actually experience it, you really don't know what it's like.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 12-31-2019, 03:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I didn't buy it for weight distribution. Practically any WDH does that just fine. I bought it because it does not and can not sway.

Good for you!

Trust me, I wish I didn't have to drop the coin on the ProPride. I can think of a lot of other stuff I'd like to have spent the money on.

But one particularly wicked sway event that had me using up both lanes (Bless the trucker that set the sway off, he seen me in trouble and tossed out the big anchor to give me the room to gather it up), and that was enough for me. My rationale was $3k was chicken feed compared to how much it would have cost me to turn over in the ditch, or hit someone else.

I just can't get over the sheer number of people that seem to want to tell me I was wrong to buy it, or that all I needed was some adjustments on my old hitch (see above). It's like I was spending their money instead of mine. All I ever said was I had a massive issue, I bought the hitch, and now I tow completely relaxed. I never, nor will I ever, imply anyone else is stupid for not getting one.

I will say this. I think a lot of people believe their hitch tows just fine because they don't have anything else to compare it to. It's like thinking a 2012 Toyota Camry is a fine car and liking everything about it. Till you drive a 2020 Lexus LS. Then your get your frame of reference adjusted. It's easy to joke about "it tows like its not there" but once you actually experience it, you really don't know what it's like.

Tim
Usually such sway events are from insufficient hitch weight, which usually comes from improper loading of the trailer. Did you check that?

Trailer loading is the solution to that cause.

As I said, I’ve had many trailers and several pickups over 50 years and have never had an issue. Probably hundreds of thousands of miles towing.

You are welcome to spend what you want. My son drove home his new Tesla Saturday. I don’t want one of them either.
IDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:10 PM   #30

We have a Hensley. Purchased used for $750 5 years ago. Look around used ones are out there. VERY easy to install. As for harder to hitch, IMO no different than lining up with a ball. Once you get centered just raise the tongue so the stinger will go in. If it doesn't look square to the hitch simply adjust the weight bars to square it up. A little movement is all it takes to square up. Keep the stinger greased. Once lined up back in, do this with some force. I think this is where most fail.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:03 PM   #31
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
Usually such sway events are from insufficient hitch weight, which usually comes from improper loading of the trailer. Did you check that?

Trailer loading is the solution to that cause.

As I said, I’ve had many trailers and several pickups over 50 years and have never had an issue. Probably hundreds of thousands of miles towing.

You are welcome to spend what you want. My son drove home his new Tesla Saturday. I don’t want one of them either.
Yes i checked tongue weight. Its was as expected. My issue was not a tongue weight wobble, but aerodynamic. Passing trucks would really upset the apple cart. Winds also would affect it. No trucks, no winds and it was ptetty much fine.

All i know is with all loadings the same, it swayed like Hell when trucks passed me with the old hitch, and it dosent with the new.

I dont know why this upsets people so much.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 12-31-2019, 05:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Looking in to replacing Equalizer 4 way 12K hitch with a Hensley hitch. ...

Also looking at Propride 3p hitch.

One additional comment. When I was investigating hitches 3 years ago. I came across a thread on the Airstream forum from a guy who had both a PP and Hensley Arrow. He did a side by side compare with pictures backing up what he was saying. At that time, my and his conclusion was that the PP came out ahead. Better machining, fit and finish. I also liked that PP did not require drilling any holes in the frame.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:15 PM   #33

A lot of sway has to do with a lighter tow vehicle pulling a heavy trailer. It also has to do with where the trailer axles are placed. Boat trailers have almost zero sway. Yet all the heavy weights in the back usually. They tow great because the axles are more rearward.
Take a normal TT with the axles more towards the center and regardless of how heavy you make the tongue it'll still have some wiggle.
When you have 30+' of TT @11+' high behind you and you get some side winds then somethings gotta give. BTDT.
Same 31' TT, towed by an F150 and a Ram 2500 CTD. Trailer weights were well within the specs to make a safe tow. 13% tongue weight. The F150 would get shoved around by winds or semis. The Ram 2500 CTD never wiggled even though I could see the TT waggling around back there. The TT axles were more towards the center which made the TT less stable.
25' TT's with dual axles aren't much of a TT to create issues when hooked up to most trucks. Jump up 5-10' longer and add 2-3,000 lbs more and it becomes a different animal.
My current TT is 31' and 9500 lbs. I tow it with a 2018 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 6.4 gas using a Blue Ox WDH. It does a decent job. I will not tow in high winds though. I would 100% get an HA/PP hitch if I found one for dirt cheap but with my 1350# TW I'd be pushing the HA/PP to it's limits. I'm now using a 2000/10,000 Blue Ox. Don't think the HA/PP would transfer enough weight even though they're superior in performance.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:37 PM   #34

I tow with a 4-point anti-sway WD hitch similar to an Equalizer (Husky Centerline) and prefer it to the Hensley Arrow that I used for 6 years previously.

The Hensley Arrow works as advertised: it eliminates trailer sway, period. With the Hensley, the truck and trailer react in crosswinds more like a motorhome; the dynamics occur as one unit. With the Husky 4-point hitch, the most I’ve felt is an occasional ‘jiggle’ from the trailer in crosswinds followed by immediate correction. I’ve never had trailer sway with either the Hensley or Husky hitches.

When it comes to weight distribution, the Husky performs better than the Hensley Arrow. Compared to a Hensley, any 4-point hitch will have a far wider range of adjustment for weight distribution (by adding or reducing the number of washers in the hitch-head); and the WD can be fine-tuned by raising or lowering the sway bar support brackets. The Hensley Arrow has a fixed head-angle and a single point of adjustment for weight distribution: by raising or lowering the jack assembly. I could never achieve the degree or precision of weight distribution with the Hensley hitch as I have with the Husky 4-point hitch.

The Hensley Arrow and Husky Centerline both provide a safe and relaxed towing experience. This includes towing in crosswinds and in the few evasive traffic situations I've encountered (e.g., quick lane changes). For towing a trailer that is well within my tow vehicle’s capacity, the Husky 4-point hitch has performed superbly and personally I would not invest in another Hensley.

By a 4-point hitch, I’m only referring to hitches that control sway through tension in the hitch head combined with the friction of trunnion bars on sway control brackets. These systems include Equalizer, Husky Centerline TS and Reese Steadi-Flex.

Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:47 PM   #35
I'm Lost

55,000km on our 2013 Rockwood 8310SS (35') with no sway issues, TV is a 2013 F150 4WD Screw.

Had a standard Equalizer until last year when my BIL gave me his 12K EQ 4pt WDH (They bought a MH); no noticeable difference in handling once I had it dialed-in properly.
I think the majority of us would hate to see you part with $3000 ($4000Cdn) to try to cure your problems without thoroughly exhausting all other possible issues.

TT balance/loading and TV set-up correctly.

Good luck,
Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:47 PM   #36

I pull 40ft toyhauler with equalizer hitch. Absolutely no sway. Good set-up for me.
Nastynotchback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:57 PM   #37

I had a 4P equalizer that was set up at dealer. I was not happy with the amount of sway and getting sucked in when a truck was passing or I was passing a truck and not comfortable in the wind.
I switched to the Hensley and it was the best money I have spent, now if the need arises my wife can drive towing our 28' Forest River Salem Cruise Lite with our 2019 Ford Ranger.
Handles perfectly, I am scaled at 6650 on the TT and total combined gvw is 10,880
I installed the Hensley myself, very simple after watching their video. Also I think Hensley offer a Vets discount and check with them they also at times have reconditioned that are considerably less than the 3k+
TomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:14 PM   #38

If you believe the Hensley or Pro-Pride will do a better job than what you have now and the money isn't an issue, go for it. We had a Hensley. Good hitch. No sway. Still had a LITTLE "truck-suck" but nothing I couldn't deal with if I was watching. I did NOT like the fact that hooking up was a pain if the site was not level near the trailer tongue... had to loosen up everything and then re-set it all.

We now have an Equalizer 4-point (10K) and we do not have sway problems. Still have a LITTLE "truck-suck" but nothing I cannot deal with if I am watching. I can hookup from nearly ANY angle, even in sites that are not level... that in itself is worth it. Much quicker/easier, less stress on the wife and I. The Equalizer gives you more ground clearance at the trailer tongue than the Hensley, so we do not drag like we did before in some places.

I had to re-install the Hensley myself because whoever did it the first time did NOT follow the factory instructions. It wasn't difficult... you CAN do this if you even marginally handy with tools.
1999 Chevy Silverado 2500
campkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:39 PM   #39

Hensley owner since 2012, bought it used on Craigslist for my first travel trailer. Just a couple of points to add:

1) I don’t find it difficult to hook up at all, but two things help. First if the TV and TT are height adjusted for each other (or you have a drop hitch) it connects much easier. I went from an SUV to a half ton and was pleasantly surprised it was so much easier, didn’t even realize the height was a minor problem before. Second thing is to get a hitch saver device, which is just a base for your tongue jack that is adjustable to align the hitch up.

2) Absolutely don’t trust a dealer to install it. Most have zero experience with it and will use whatever they have on hand. A new one may go a little better since everything will be in the kit, but always verify their work. Agree it can be done yourself, and it will be time well invested. Since this is a hitch that will last decades you want to know it well, and the best way to do that is to install it from the ground up.
UsefulDrivel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:00 PM   #40

I am in the unique position to comment on various comments. Not as many miles as some, but plenty to base an opinion on.

First, I've towed probably 10,000 miles with an equalizer and a half ton. 5000 of those were with upgraded shocks and LT tires
I've towed probably 5,000 miles with a 3P and a half ton
I've towed 500 miles with a equalizer and a f250 6.2
I've towed 1000 miles with a 3P and an f250 6.2

Now I am back to a half ton with a 3P. My current truck is a 2019 Silverado, 6.2 with the Max trailer package. I traded "down" from my 2018 F250.

The E4 is a great hitch. It was rock solid for 80% of the time. But that last 20% when the wind was blowing, it didn't matter how things were adjusted. Just go slow. I got tired of going slower. I upgraded tires and shocks because I was led to believe I needed too. Made very little to no difference.

We would schedule our trip departures to avoid wind, such as leaving on a Sunday morning before wind picked up.
To be clear there was only a couple times I can recall where i was scared to tow. But in general I took it safe and slow as needed.

Finally i decided to try the 3P. Did tons of research for about 8 months between the 2 options, and 3P won pretty easily in the end. It's everything it's advertised and other here have said. Sure the E4 was good most of the time, but this 3p is great 100% of the time. In the windy Midwest, it changed our camping opportunities. Now we could stay full days. No fear. Still safe, but not scared to tow. I've never had an issue hitching up, but the 3p is different from the arrow. Wd is easier I feel than the E4 because I could adjust the weights on the fly depending on the load. For example, if we carried water, I would tighten it down more. On the E4 this would require getting wrenches out...which I never did.

Now step up to the f250. It was a great tow. I got it bc I was at the upper limits of my f150 capacity, but not over. Also to be clear, I did not go to the f250 to be more stable. The 3P took care of that. I even tried my E4 with the f250 to see if I could sell the 3p. Surprise, the big truck still has the trailer pivoting!. The big truck doesn't prevent sway like the 3p does. Sure the trailer didn't push the bigger truck as noticably, but it was still not like the smooth gliding pleasure of the 3p. So I determined that the f250 honestly made very little difference when compared to the 3p and properly equipped half ton. I hated daily driving the f250. The new Silverados have higher ratings and payload than my previous Max tow f150, so the wife and I decided to go back to one since we both hated the big truck and felt nearly no difference.

So my current truck pulls a 34' Rockwood loaded to about 8000 lbs. Has a payload of 1940, a rawr of 4150 and a gvwr of 7300. So I have several hundred pounds to spare when loaded (vs the f150 is was right there) and several thousand to spare on tow rating and gcvwr.

Sure I could have kept the $3k and continued to deal with it, but it took so much stress out of worrying about the weather and other drivers, trucks, etc. Now a 3 hr drive towing to the camp site feels just like a 3 hr drive.
Lzerarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equalizer, hensley