Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2017, 06:11 PM   #21
Casey & Carolyn

I bought my 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 the end of June. 115-120 temp at that time here in Las Vegas. 3 days later with less than 200 miles I hooked on to my 30 ft sport cruiser and headed to the lake. Boat weighs about 14000 lbs. I drove it like I would always drive it. Just keep am eye on the gauges and you will be fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0263.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	133844  
Casey r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:52 PM   #22

My buddy bought a 2500 6.4 and towed at 200 miles. No issues.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugeez View Post
On the same topic... I recently purchased a 2017 Ram 2500 6.4 HEMI. Do I have regular oil in my engine or is there such thing as break in oil? Should I have it changed before we do our first towing, which we plan on doing this weekend.
My mechanic did some research when I dropped my truck off at 3k miles for its first oil change. He told me my truck came with mobile one synthetic. with the new weight of oil they are the only ones that make it (that is what he said maybe he is pulling my leg)

I changed it at 3k miles the first time but will probably go 6-8 per oil change now with the full synthetic. they 12 they advertise seems a bit much but so was a $110 oil change (seven quarts)
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:26 PM   #24

The towing break-in period has nothing to do with the engine. It's about the machining of the ring and pinion in the rear end. The 500 miles of no tow is to break those in before putting too much stress on them to prevent the mating surfaces from galling. If you want to do it right, after 500 miles, don't tow over 50 for an hour or so and then drive it like you want after that. Or, you can ignore it completely... and probably never know the difference. I really think they're just covering their arses...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:50 AM   #25

I agree with rthomaslyons' comments for Gas engines but add to this that what is most harmful to a new engine is laboring or over revving. Being out of the Heavy Truck industry and having worked for Cummins in the past I can say with some surety that there is really no "Break In" as such other than what has been mentioned above. A Semi Truck is put to work directly out of the dealership with fully laden trailers. Treat your engine with respect as if it were human and it will serve you well.
sanmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
The towing break-in period has nothing to do with the engine. It's about the machining of the ring and pinion in the rear end. The 500 miles of no tow is to break those in before putting too much stress on them to prevent the mating surfaces from galling. If you want to do it right, after 500 miles, don't tow over 50 for an hour or so and then drive it like you want after that. Or, you can ignore it completely... and probably never know the difference. I really think they're just covering their arses...
Exactly, it's recommended to heat cycle the diffs a few times before really pulling anything. After 500 miles don't worry about it, but the link below explains why to tow slowly at first after the initial break-in. For the Rams with the Cummins they say to pull a load regularly to help with break-in. Like anything, they are meant to be used. Drive it and take care of it, don't abuse it. This explains it for you:

https://www.ringpinion.com/Technical...r_break-in.inc
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:11 PM   #27

Quote:
this will work well because I am about a 45 minute run up back roads to the highway, I can easily run 50-55 mph for another 1/2 hour or so..then gent;ly ease it up to 60-63 or so for the remainder of the trip..Thanks everyone for the info!
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #28

Tens of thousands of trucks are sold to contractors etc. The first thing they do is hook up an overloaded trailer and throw the keys to Joe the laborer and say get this to the jobsite ASAP.

Ya think Joe read the manual???
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajim View Post
Tens of thousands of trucks are sold to contractors etc. The first thing they do is hook up an overloaded trailer and throw the keys to Joe the laborer and say get this to the jobsite ASAP.

Ya think Joe read the manual???
How true that is LOL.......
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:37 PM   #30

Hey Ram 2500 owners..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
Exactly, it's recommended to heat cycle the diffs a few times before really pulling anything. After 500 miles don't worry about it, but the link below explains why to tow slowly at first after the initial break-in. For the Rams with the Cummins they say to pull a load regularly to help with break-in. Like anything, they are meant to be used. Drive it and take care of it, don't abuse it. This explains it for you:

https://www.ringpinion.com/Technical...r_break-in.inc

So... the "gasser" ring & pinion need breaking-in, but not the "diesel" ring & pinion.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:40 PM   #31

Quote:

This
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:44 PM   #32

Think all ring and pinion need break in. I got a new ring and pinion and there were a lot of guidelines like that to keep the warranty. It needs the gentle use to heat temper it to make it harder. I followed mine as I've heard of people not following it and having gear damage but I've heard the opposite as well
mj0528 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags