Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
Snowsail

Higher Reese Reveloution

I need a little more clearance between my truck bed and my FW. I now have 5 inches. Can I unbolt the two bolts on the bracket attached to the FW and screw them into the two higher holes on the same bracket, these seem to be made for just that but there is no mention of this in the instructions that came with it. It's bolt number 13 in the following instructions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0545.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	15426  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 10K Revolution Sidewinder Instructions.pdf (530.8 KB, 52 views)
Old 06-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It would be much easier to raise the hitch in the truck one set of holes if you can than mess around with lowering the pinbox mounting.

I think the Revolution pinbox mounts the same as a conventional pinbox...4 bolts/nuts on each side with height adjustment by mounting in higher/lower set of holes.

Does your camper sit level now? If it's nose high now, the adjustment will make it worse.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #3
Snowsail

My Husky 16K is raised to the max.The Revolution has only the 2 bolts on each side. I'll have to measure it to see if it sit's high, can't see well from this picture taken sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0555.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	15435  
Old 06-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like it might be sitting a little nose high nose now. Unfortunately the Rockwood/Flagstaff 5th wheels seem to be lower (king pin to ground) than others and makes it a little difficult to get sufficient clearance above the truck bed especially with newer model 4X4 trucks.

A clearance of 5 inches is less than ideal. If you want more you'll have to lower the pinbox...contact Reese for the method. The problem may then be the levelness of the camper when your done. The only method to raise the camper with torsion axles is to install additional spacers with cross braces between the axles and frame.

I don't think that you'd want the camper to be more than 2" out of level front to rear due to the effect that has on the individual axle loadings.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #5

I removed the pin box last week for another reason and it is a pita to get it back. It's bloody heavy for one person. Mine only had 4 bolts total, 2 on each side ( I assume that's sufficient) I only have about 5" clearance to truck rail too and I have never been in a situation , yet, where its been an issue. Close a couple of times, but with careful maneuvering, you most always can avoid a bad situation. On the other hand, if you wish to use the other holes, it looks like about 1 1/2" difference in the two and I don't really think that will make much of a difference in the nose being "too high" and you may achieve your desired outcome. let me know if it works.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Snowsail

Thank's for the 2 replies,