Old 08-11-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
Hitch choice

G'day all

My family is purchasing a fiver, HG 368rlbh, and we own a 05 dodge drw cummins long bed. I've been paranoid about hitch choice as related to height. How do I determine what is best before I show up to pick up the unit?

We were looking at the curt q16 for the truck. I assume both the combination of hitch and pinbox adjustment will solve any issues. But I just want to make sure before I spend a bunch on the hitch.

Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pugsrcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:24 PM   #2
I have the Curt Q20. Great hitch. Little heavier than the Q16 for not much price difference.

David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #3

Companion hitch....

Fifth wheel, no problem, Goose Neck, no worries.
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:51 AM   #4
I just replaced my hitch with the Curt Q24, was a good price ordered it online. Big difference from the slide bar hitch that came with the 5ver. Easy to hook and unhook rides better and no slop around the kingpin. Always buy a little bigger than you need it was $559 delivered to my door install took all of an hour to get ready. Already had the rails in the bed..
Gitiup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:00 AM   #5
I've had a Reese fifth wheel hitch on last camper. I hated that hitch. Heavy to take in and out of truck, and it seemed to amplify road chucking.
Recently I upgraded to a Silverback 29RE which we really enjoy. But the hitch had to go, sooo, had a B&W turnoverball gooseneck hitch installed along with a Reese Goosebox. Towing is now a pleasure. The connection between truck and trailer is now solid but much softer when hitting potholes or expansion joints.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.
2016 Ford F-350 Lariat CC, 4x4 SRW. B&W turnover with extender. 2015 CC Silverback 29RE, fitted with Reese Goose Box. Amateur Extra Class K5TS, 2016 nights camped 16
Davidg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #6
I settled on the curt q16. Installation was not difficult. That is, after I removed the previous vehicle owner's braces for their hitch. This involved borrowing my neighbor's impact, 15+ minutes of map gas torch on each bolt, cutting down the spare tire, and many many four-lettered words.
I recommend a strong magnetic fish for the installation. The kit came with two fish lines, but, a magnetic fish would simplify things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pugsrcool is offline   Reply With Quote