Old 02-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #11

Most 5th wheels have the front cap designed so that a sliding hitch is a thing of the past. I pulled a Cyclone for a couple years in a Mega Cab without a single issue. You could almost jack knife the rig with out issue.

I would invest in a hitch once you know what trailer you are getting. If it has the short bed cap then just get a ford with the factory 5th wheel prep and a B&W hitch for the Ford. No need in all of those moving parts and wasted moeny if you dont need it.

Mattpopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattpopp View Post
I would invest in a hitch once you know what trailer you are getting. If it has the short bed cap then just get a ford with the factory 5th wheel prep and a B&W hitch for the Ford. No need in all of those moving parts and wasted moeny if you dont need it.
But what if the trailer doesn't work with the hitch that you choose ?? Then you have wasted your money on the orginal setup, because you now need to get another 1.

Another question for short bed owners: I understand the concept of the curved cap allowing a tighter turning radius. Figuring the axle is 1/2 way centered under a 6.75' bed, then that leaves about 3.3' forward of the axle, plus maybe another 2 or 3 inches to the cab. But when turned at a 90 degree angle, a 100" wide trailer is going extend 4'2" forward. Are the pin boxes extended enough to put the trailer on the outside of the cab ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:54 PM   #13

Its the recessed corners of the cap giving you the clearance. Not how far the pin box is extended.

That is why I also said, "invest in a hitch once you know what trailer you are getting". Why would anybody buy a hitch before they have yet to figure out what kind of trailer they are getting and pin box setup???
Old 02-24-2015, 05:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
But what if the trailer doesn't work with the hitch that you choose ?? Then you have wasted your money on the orginal setup, because you now need to get another 1.

Another question for short bed owners: I understand the concept of the curved cap allowing a tighter turning radius. Figuring the axle is 1/2 way centered under a 6.75' bed, then that leaves about 3.3' forward of the axle, plus maybe another 2 or 3 inches to the cab. But when turned at a 90 degree angle, a 100" wide trailer is going extend 4'2" forward. Are the pin boxes extended enough to put the trailer on the outside of the cab ??
No completely. But on my old f250 CC SB, and pulling our Sabre with the rounded front, I could get almost 90į with no problems. This is because of the rounded front. It cut back almost 8 inches or more and helped to prevent contact.

Now I have a long bed so should have no problems. One thing I'll comment about hitches, our B&W companion saved our truck from rolling as it is designed to break in half in the event of a rollover. Two pins bent, which allowed it to separate into two pieces. Saw two other pictures of truck and fiver that got pulled over by the fiver and ended on their side or top.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:04 PM   #15

I have the 6.8 bed and I can turn a long way, but not 90'. I thought it might be fine, but when you need it you might want the slider. It was an easy decision for me as we already had the GN turn over ball. The DW says get the slider, its only money and it will cost more if you put it in a bind. Makes sense for us since we plan to go to some tight places. Even our driveway is narrow, full of trees, and sloped; so it was a good choice. Oh, and only had the hitch two days when I needed to slide it... But as others say, it is what you are comfortable with.
Enjoy the new rig!

9.5 year old FR Cherokee 295 WP 32' toyhauler
2013 Ford F250 SD CC 4X4 4.30 gears
Tuned-- engine, music, and exhaust,
bpadamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:21 PM   #16

Hitch problems solved. Nothing will hit your cab now.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:38 PM   #17

I have a 5.5 box and Reese Revolution and a Reese 18 k with pucks under bed. I can and have turned 90%. The hitch works well, a little chucking set up on concrete roads (i69 in MI) otherwise smooth.
I just had the sales manager for major RV parts distributer drop off my new generator yesterday, wishes he could sell Reese.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #18

I am in same boat and have a 2014 Ram3500 with factory pucks and 6'4" bed. Getting ready to order a TH and been considering B&W drop in for the pucks and a sidewinder, or an Anderson Ultimate fifth wheel hitch, or a Superglide.

I am going with the B&W drop in with the Sidewinder. This is the most expensive option, but the SUperglide would need to be mounted on top of a picture frame adapter that drops into the pucks...there is no vertical adjustment on the Superglide and many people are having issues with the front of the fifth running nose high because the new HD trucks sit up so high (my Ram is completely stock and the bed rails are 59.5 inches tall.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:08 PM   #19

Can you use a sidewinder with the drop in hitch?
Old 02-24-2015, 08:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbuntingsr View Post
Can you use a sidewinder with the drop in hitch?
Yes you can. I asked etrailer that question and since the b&w puck hitches are locked into the pucks you can use a sidewinder with them. They do not recommend using a sidewinder with the b&w turnover ball hitch though

Tags
hitch