Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2015, 08:19 PM   #21

I should clarify a bit...I am getting the b&w puck hitch and will see how it works. If I need additional clearance I will then get the sidewinder pinbox
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:21 PM   #22

[QUOTE=gtsum2;791838]Yes you can. I asked etrailer that question and since the b&w puck hitches are locked into the pucks you can use a sidewinder with them. They do not recommend using a sidewinder with the b&w turnover ball hitch though[/QUO

From b&w:

When you turn, the king pin wants to twist. But when a wedge won’t let it twist, bad things can happen.

In fact, we’ve had people call us and say their Companion hitch was literally ripped from their truck because of this kind of product.

Not only could you be creating a very unstable and unsafe situation for yourself, your passengers and other drivers, but if you use a product with our mounting system, and that product hasn’t been manufactured and/or tested by B&W, our warranty will become void.

We’re not trying to disparage these extended pin boxes. They work just fine with other B&W products that attach with rails and pucks, but not the Companion Fifth-Wheel Hitch or Companion Slider Fifth Wheel Hitch that has a single-point of attachment. It’s not that the Companion is weak or unsafe, it’s just that this newly designed pinbox drastically changes the usual way 5th wheels are towed.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:28 PM   #23

[QUOTE=JohnF;791844]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
Yes you can. I asked etrailer that question and since the b&w puck hitches are locked into the pucks you can use a sidewinder with them. They do not recommend using a sidewinder with the b&w turnover ball hitch though[/QUO

From b&w:

When you turn, the king pin wants to twist. But when a wedge won’t let it twist, bad things can happen.

In fact, we’ve had people call us and say their Companion hitch was literally ripped from their truck because of this kind of product.

Not only could you be creating a very unstable and unsafe situation for yourself, your passengers and other drivers, but if you use a product with our mounting system, and that product hasn’t been manufactured and/or tested by B&W, our warranty will become void.

We’re not trying to disparage these extended pin boxes. They work just fine with other B&W products that attach with rails and pucks, but not the Companion Fifth-Wheel Hitch or Companion Slider Fifth Wheel Hitch that has a single-point of attachment. It’s not that the Companion is weak or unsafe, it’s just that this newly designed pinbox drastically changes the usual way 5th wheels are towed.
Exactly. The turnover ball companion is not recommended to use with a sidewinder. The puck hitches (model rvk3600 for ram) does not use a turnover ball. It, and the same one for ford, drops into the four factory pucks in the bed and can be used with a sidewinder. I confirmed this with etrailer and b&w
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch