Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2015, 01:43 PM   #1

Hitch Confusion

I was stuck inside today and that’s okay as it was 10 below when I got up this morning. I have been pulling a couple of campers now for about 5 years. My wife and I think we will soon (within a year) upgrade to a bigger truck and a fifth wheel camper. About two weeks ago we test drove some trucks and decided on a Ford F-350 diesel with single rear wheels and the short bed. Nuff said about the truck.

Since the fifth wheel requires either a Reese Revolution hitch or a slider to operate safely (this from the manufacturer) I have been looking at my options.

After speaking to Forest River, Reese, Curt, B&W, etrailer, A local hitch installer, and Pullrite my mind is numb.

I have come to the conclusion that I would order the truck with the factory prep package installed and purchase a standard hitch, either Reese or B&W and mount it to the preset pucks in the bed. I would then purchase a Reese Revolution (Sidewinder) pin box and replace the factory one that comes with the 5th wheel.

My thoughts are that this would reduce any labor costs as I could do the installs myself. Nothing has to be done under the truck i.e. no drilling or removal of the exhaust system as some require and I would have fewer moving parts to make noise in the setup. I also believe the cost would be toward the lower end of the other options I have.

If you were starting over, how would you do it?

John
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:50 PM   #2

No brainer for me.I really like our Sidewinder hitch.Towing with a 5 1/2' bed on a Ram.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:01 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

If you get a Flagstaff or Rockwood Super Lite, these have the Sidewinder factory installed. Just get a regular 16K Reese hitch and activate the Sidewinder.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:35 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We are about a year away from the same big decision. We want an automatic system, and so far we are leaning towards the F350. We can get the Ford prep package and a Pullrite Superglide that fits the Ford Truck prep package, or the get the 5th wheel package which includes a Reese Hitch and the get the Revolution or Sidewinder. The Pullrite is manufactured north of the Rio Grande which is important to us, but the Reese seems to be simpler setup. Decisions, decisions.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:59 PM   #5

The Sidewinder/Revolution has a max weight of 10,000 pounds. That might limit your 5th wheel options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
The Sidewinder/Revolution has a max weight of 10,000 pounds. That might limit your 5th wheel options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Factory says they have units that can handle up to 19,000 lbs.

Reese - Sidewinder

John
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:10 PM   #7

I run the Pull Right hitch, and it works good. No issues to turn at 90 degree angle. I also have the Mor Ryde pin box that almost eliminates any chucking on funky roads or holes in the road. I have the 18k hitch.
Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:13 PM   #8

Right you are about the 19,000 # hitch. Since the one I had said 10,000 # max, I thought that was it. My bad..

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:21 PM   #9

When your negotiating for the RV. Try using my DWs bargaining method. They threw in the Reese 16K Pro and installation for free. Might not be bad to ask. I bought mine up here at BuffaloRV.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:26 PM   #10

I run a long bed 4door ford and a Reese "rocking" hitch. Long beds nice for hauling stuff around other then the 5er
Old 02-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #11

Most 5th wheels have the front cap designed so that a sliding hitch is a thing of the past. I pulled a Cyclone for a couple years in a Mega Cab without a single issue. You could almost jack knife the rig with out issue.

I would invest in a hitch once you know what trailer you are getting. If it has the short bed cap then just get a ford with the factory 5th wheel prep and a B&W hitch for the Ford. No need in all of those moving parts and wasted moeny if you dont need it.
Mattpopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattpopp View Post
I would invest in a hitch once you know what trailer you are getting. If it has the short bed cap then just get a ford with the factory 5th wheel prep and a B&W hitch for the Ford. No need in all of those moving parts and wasted moeny if you dont need it.
But what if the trailer doesn't work with the hitch that you choose ?? Then you have wasted your money on the orginal setup, because you now need to get another 1.

Another question for short bed owners: I understand the concept of the curved cap allowing a tighter turning radius. Figuring the axle is 1/2 way centered under a 6.75' bed, then that leaves about 3.3' forward of the axle, plus maybe another 2 or 3 inches to the cab. But when turned at a 90 degree angle, a 100" wide trailer is going extend 4'2" forward. Are the pin boxes extended enough to put the trailer on the outside of the cab ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:54 PM   #13

Its the recessed corners of the cap giving you the clearance. Not how far the pin box is extended.

That is why I also said, "invest in a hitch once you know what trailer you are getting". Why would anybody buy a hitch before they have yet to figure out what kind of trailer they are getting and pin box setup???
Old 02-24-2015, 05:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
But what if the trailer doesn't work with the hitch that you choose ?? Then you have wasted your money on the orginal setup, because you now need to get another 1.

Another question for short bed owners: I understand the concept of the curved cap allowing a tighter turning radius. Figuring the axle is 1/2 way centered under a 6.75' bed, then that leaves about 3.3' forward of the axle, plus maybe another 2 or 3 inches to the cab. But when turned at a 90 degree angle, a 100" wide trailer is going extend 4'2" forward. Are the pin boxes extended enough to put the trailer on the outside of the cab ??
No completely. But on my old f250 CC SB, and pulling our Sabre with the rounded front, I could get almost 90° with no problems. This is because of the rounded front. It cut back almost 8 inches or more and helped to prevent contact.

Now I have a long bed so should have no problems. One thing I'll comment about hitches, our B&W companion saved our truck from rolling as it is designed to break in half in the event of a rollover. Two pins bent, which allowed it to separate into two pieces. Saw two other pictures of truck and fiver that got pulled over by the fiver and ended on their side or top.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:04 PM   #15

I have the 6.8 bed and I can turn a long way, but not 90'. I thought it might be fine, but when you need it you might want the slider. It was an easy decision for me as we already had the GN turn over ball. The DW says get the slider, its only money and it will cost more if you put it in a bind. Makes sense for us since we plan to go to some tight places. Even our driveway is narrow, full of trees, and sloped; so it was a good choice. Oh, and only had the hitch two days when I needed to slide it... But as others say, it is what you are comfortable with.
Enjoy the new rig!

9.5 year old FR Cherokee 295 WP 32' toyhauler
2013 Ford F250 SD CC 4X4 4.30 gears
Tuned-- engine, music, and exhaust,
bpadamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:21 PM   #16

Hitch problems solved. Nothing will hit your cab now.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:38 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I have a 5.5 box and Reese Revolution and a Reese 18 k with pucks under bed. I can and have turned 90%. The hitch works well, a little chucking set up on concrete roads (i69 in MI) otherwise smooth.
I just had the sales manager for major RV parts distributer drop off my new generator yesterday, wishes he could sell Reese.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #18

I am in same boat and have a 2014 Ram3500 with factory pucks and 6'4" bed. Getting ready to order a TH and been considering B&W drop in for the pucks and a sidewinder, or an Anderson Ultimate fifth wheel hitch, or a Superglide.

I am going with the B&W drop in with the Sidewinder. This is the most expensive option, but the SUperglide would need to be mounted on top of a picture frame adapter that drops into the pucks...there is no vertical adjustment on the Superglide and many people are having issues with the front of the fifth running nose high because the new HD trucks sit up so high (my Ram is completely stock and the bed rails are 59.5 inches tall.
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:08 PM   #19

Can you use a sidewinder with the drop in hitch?
Jbuntingsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbuntingsr View Post
Can you use a sidewinder with the drop in hitch?
Yes you can. I asked etrailer that question and since the b&w puck hitches are locked into the pucks you can use a sidewinder with them. They do not recommend using a sidewinder with the b&w turnover ball hitch though
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch