Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #1

Hitch connect ?

I have a huskey 16 k fifth wheel hitch my jaws on the hitch don't close when I back in to the fifth wheel. I have to get out and release the handle to close the jaws. Is this normal?
albuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Try to hitch with more force. If you just kiss the hitch, it probably won't cause the jaw to close. When I hitch there is more than a kiss, but slams with enough force that causes the jaw to shut but not with enough force to move the trailer.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #3

Could be you have the trailer to high when you are backing under it.
I would also give the pivot points a shot of silicone spray, I use the WD-40 version.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I didn't think about that, Ford Idaho. There are some good videos on line that show how to hitch a 5th wheel. These show the relationship of the king pin to the hitch and how the king pin needs to slide up the hitch. I use white lithium grease to lube my hitch. That's what Reese specifies.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #5

I forgot to mention I have the reese revolution hitch with the wedge on the fifth wheel.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by albuilder View Post
I forgot to mention I have the reese revolution hitch with the wedge on the fifth wheel.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 10-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #7

Yes Ford Idaho, It shows him closing the jaws by hand in the video. On the husky hitch.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
The bearded guy is one of the engineers that designed the hitch. He is the one that worked on mine in Goshen along with the narrator who is the other engineer that designed the hitch. Both were super nice and very professional.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
I have a huskey 16 k fifth wheel hitch my jaws on the hitch don't close when I back in to the fifth wheel. I have to get out and release the handle to close the jaws. Is this normal?
I think so. At the same time, you should be visually inspecting that the pin is where it needs to be and that everything is closed, locked, etc. like it needs to be. That visual inspection is very important to ensuring you're properly hitched.

Do you have a trucking background? I think I read on rv.net that someone said their big rig's hitch would close and stay closed just by hitting the pin. They didn't need to do anything else to the hitch. No RV fifth wheel hitch works the same way, as far as I'm aware.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Yes Ford Idaho, It shows him closing the jaws by hand in the video. On the husky hitch.
I saw that as well, thanks for the confirmation
Old 10-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I think so. At the same time, you should be visually inspecting that the pin is where it needs to be and that everything is closed, locked, etc. like it needs to be. That visual inspection is very important to ensuring you're properly hitched.

Do you have a trucking background? I think I read on rv.net that someone said their big rig's hitch would close and stay closed just by hitting the pin. They didn't need to do anything else to the hitch. No RV fifth wheel hitch works the same way, as far as I'm aware.
Yes I do have a cdl. I know when I back in to a van trailer with a semi it hooks automatic. And I do inspect to make sure it is hooked properly.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

My Reese 16K will latch and lock when backed into. Then all I do is flip the safety latch over the handle and padlock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	To hitch, rod must be removed.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	41962  
Old 10-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The bearded guy is one of the engineers that designed the hitch. He is the one that worked on mine in Goshen along with the narrator who is the other engineer that designed the hitch. Both were super nice and very professional.

Very cool, I never get to meet the people who have hands on with the build, just the sales guy who knows squat.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #14

Quote:
My Reese 16K will latch and lock when backed into. Then all I do is flip the safety latch over the handle and padlock.
Yes but if you watch the video you can see where he releases the handle manually. On the husky hitch. That is what I have to do.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Very cool, I never get to meet the people who have hands on with the build, just the sales guy who knows squat.
Got a complete explanation on how and what to lube and what not to lube. They even borrowed my torque wrench for the rest of the day as they had forgot to put theirs in the van.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Got a complete explanation on how and what to lube and what not to lube. They even borrowed my torque wrench for the rest of the day as they had forgot to put theirs in the van.

Hahaha!

I bought a second one to leave in the trailer so I would not 'forget" it.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Since you have the reeserevolution, you will need to spend time hitching and un-hitching. From my experience, at first it was easy and hitched the first few times (I was lucky). If you have the wedge installed, there are a few factors that can making hitching up a little more tricky. Angle of approach, trailer level TV not level, pin too high.....and a few more. It just takes some getting used to but I have found that if I am a little crooked backing in and the wedge doesn't go straight in, the jaws will not always close. Sometime they will close all the way, but then I will have to roll forward a 1/2 inch to take the pressure off to lock the handle all the way down. BUT, since it is not completley locked in, I do the pull test and then the jaws lock in. Most of the videos out there helped alot, but the best thing to do is read your hitch manual, hitch up and un-hitch on a flat surface a few times to get the feel for the right angle and the right height. Once you do this about six times, mark your landing gear and then you can judge where you need to be when you are on anuneven surface.

One other thing, Reese shows you how you can back in at any angle when you are n a tight spot. Only do this if you have someone to work your tailgate or you will damage your front storage compartment.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #18

I forgot to mention. I have the reese R16Hitch, the one they show in the video at the very beginning. Watch the beginning closely, there is no pin in the latch handle.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #19

I never have issues with my pullrite hitch. As long as I have the approximate heigth right, it slides up tne saddle and locks in every time. I also have not had issues being off center either but would agree that if you are very far off to be careful with the tailgate!
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Hahaha!

I bought a second one to leave in the trailer so I would not 'forget" it.

I have 2 Williams 250#/' snap wrenches, one at home and one in the trailer. Also have an old style beam that only goes to 150 lb/ft.

Tags
hitch