Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2012, 01:34 AM   #1

Hitch Extender

I have a golf cart and when it is in truck and the tailgate is down it poses a problem of moving hitch up and down. I need to get heavy duty extender just about 12-14 inches. I have seen ones from Reese that have plenty of tongue weight. 3500 lbs. Any suggestions
PAMROBERTNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
Wanna Be Camper

That is a fairly large TT and those extenders are not intended to be used for a unit like yours. They have one with a 6500lb load capacity using a WD hitch (which would probably mean 600lb tongue weight) and the one to which you refer is 300lb tongue 3500lb max load extending the hitch out that far maybe less to be real safe.
IMO DO NOT DO IT.
Do it the old fashioned way of loading the cart then hook up and if the golf cart does not fit with the tailgate up you have the wrong truck for this purpose.And from what I found your trailer has a tongue weight of abt 840lbs and GVWR somewhere around 9k.

Sorry

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #3

I have never seen an extension over 4", even then that's pushing it IMO. How close are you to getting the tail gate to close? I have seen people at the track make a ramp in the bed of their truck so they get the front end of the golf cart up in the air and that gives them the extra room to close their tail gate.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote