Old 04-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #1

Hitch Height

This may be a dumb question but what determines the height of the ball on the hitch? Do you position it then lower camper on to truck and if camper is level its good and if camper is to low you raise it and vise versa Seems like it will always sag down alittle so you would always be on the top hole which dont make sense.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:29 AM   #2

I was always taught that with you TT parked on level ground and leveled, you measure from ground to top of hitch where the ball would sit. Using that measurement you need to set up the ball 1 to 2 inches higher. I then hookup with my WD hitch and verify if TT looks level when hitched.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #3

Are you using a equalizer hitch? If not you should, it helps a lot. To set it up, first level your trailer. Measure from the ground to the inside the coupler where the top of the ball will be when its connected. Now take that measurement, and add 1". Set your hitch hight so that is the measurement to the top of your ball.

2011 Sierra 355 QBQ
04 Ford F350 V10
blatch70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll86 View Post
This may be a dumb question but what determines the height of the ball on the hitch? Do you position it then lower camper on to truck and if camper is level its good and if camper is to low you raise it and vise versa Seems like it will always sag down alittle so you would always be on the top hole which dont make sense.
you should be using a Weight Distributing Hitch to eliminate the sag and keep the TT level.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #5

Setting Hitch/ball height?

Does anyone happen to know the ball height of a Rockwood 3006W? I recently traded an 04 Suburban for an 07 Suburban and this newer one has a higher hitch platform. I just thought it would be easier to post the question than to hook-up and tow to a level spot and measure myself. Thanks
Old 05-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidrt View Post
I was always taught that with you TT parked on level ground and leveled, you measure from ground to top of hitch where the ball would sit. Using that measurement you need to set up the ball 1 to 2 inches higher. I then hookup with my WD hitch and verify if TT looks level when hitched.
Reese instructions say 3/4" over the top of the ball coupler when the trailer is level. If your ball is too high, you will never get your WD hitch to work right. The nose will potentially sit too high and you may not be able to put adequate pressure on your WD bars. Better to be a bit low than a bit high IMO. You never want the rear of the trailer lower than the front.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #7

If you are going without WDH, then you need to estimate how much sag your suspension with have, and compensate. If TW is 500 lbs, get 500 lbs of people standing on the bumper, and measure the height from the ground to the top of the square opening in the receiver.

Hitch height (loaded), minus coupler height (while level), minus ball height (not including threads), equals the amount of drop you need in the drawbar.

If you have a WDH, then you should follow the instructions provided. It will come with an adjustable shank, so it's part of the setup.

My Equal-i-zer instructions say to start setup with the ball height equal to the coupler height (no compensation for suspension squat. This, of course, is because the WDH will couteract that squat.

Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote