Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2007, 01:43 AM   #1

Smile hitch question

I'm very new to the rv world, just purchased a rockwood 2501ss yesterday, question i have is what is the difference between a weigh distribution hitch & a sway control hitch, do i need both? if i do, which kind should i get? my tow vehicle is a 07 tundra crew max with towing package, is the factory hitch stout enough? thanks in advance.
dooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:32 AM   #2

Need more info about your new camper, max weight " loaded " how long the camper is and max tow rating on your TV. This info is needed so every here can give you all the there suggestions, and you couldn't have picked a better place then here, by the way, welcome aboard.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:07 AM   #3

to FRF!
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooboy View Post
I'm very new to the rv world, just purchased a rockwood 2501ss yesterday, question i have is what is the difference between a weigh distribution hitch & a sway control hitch, do i need both? if i do, which kind should i get? my tow vehicle is a 07 tundra crew max with towing package, is the factory hitch stout enough? thanks in advance.
Two different animals. A WD hitch can incorparate both and there is no such thing as a sway control hitch, although sway control can and is incorporated in WD hitches. I guess you could somehow rig a sway control with a bumper hitch.
With anything more than a popup I would use a WD hitch. Reese dual cam is a good one, there are others, but I use the dual cam and once set up it words real good. Sway control is built in the dual cam setup.

JMHO............

Paul B
2004 Twin 2000i Hondas'
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
Need more info about your new camper, max weight " loaded " how long the camper is and max tow rating on your TV. This info is needed so every here can give you all the there suggestions, and you couldn't have picked a better place then here, by the way, welcome aboard.
The trailer is a 2008 Rockwood 2501ss, 27ft end to end, 6100lb max gvwr, the tow vehicle is a 2007 Toyota Tundra crewmax ltd, 5.7 engine with tow package, gcwv is 16000lb, tow rating is 10100 lb, I hope that is enough info for you, thanks.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:57 PM   #6

I'm sure you've seen trucks where they are loaded heavy in the back & it makes the front end come up?? This can cause many problems - poor tire wear, loss of steering, etc. Well, this is what the WD helps prevent as it helps distribute the weight of the travel trailer (TV) evenly over the tow vehicle (TV). Sway control helps keep the trailer from swaying side to side, which can occur in high winds, when a semi passes, when you have to make a sudden swerve, etc.

A previous poster mentioned the Reese dual cam - many people have had excellent luck with this set up. Another one just as popular is a specific brand called Equal-i-zer. The Equal-i-zer combines both WD and sway control in one unit - I own this one and it is very easy to use. If you go this way I'd recommend ordering it from RVWholesaler.com. This is where I got mine & it was over $200 cheaper than what a local dealer would sell it to me. Only took me a little over an hour to set up.

Good luck.
Tekonsha P3
Equal-i-zer
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
You should have no problem as far as the truck is concerned. As Paul said, the Reese Dual Cam is a fine hitch. Also, check out www.equalizerhitch.com which is another very good product. Just make sure you get the right spring bars.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:18 AM   #8

Yes, I agree with Riverdog and Dimurrw, the Reese dual cam works great, just make sure it is installed correctly. If you have someone install it for you, get the manual and check it over. Good luck!
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:29 PM   #9
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
I've used the Equal-i-zer Brand Hitch on a couple different tow vehicles. It works fantastic, and is as simple as they come. One set up, you never have to mess with links and chains and such. They make a lot of noise until they are broke in a bit....but I love that thing.
If you are in the neighborhood....I have one for sale. I don't tow my RV anymore.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:45 AM   #10

Thank you for all your replies, i've been doing some readings & i just ordered a Hensley arrow, i want to know that i've given my family the best margin of safety on road when we go out, i hope i've made the right choice.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:38 PM   #11

Had a hensley arrow (still have but not used) before I upgraded to a 5er, loved it very solid the trailer never moved in wind or with big rigs. It may make a poping noise when backing though so don't worry. and get helpinstalling it the head is HEAVY.

2006 F250 6.0 Harley Edition
2008 Cedar Creek Day Dreamer
Keith and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote