Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #1

Hitch questions for a Roo 21RS

First post here, so far I'm lovin' the information on this forum. You guys definately appear to be a very helpful lot!

Forgive the nuub questions, but I've been towing a Rockwood pop-up for one season, and now we're moving to a Rockwood Roo 21RS. (Yeah, I could have worse problems, I'll grant you that!)

We're buying used (2009), and haven't taken possession yet. But I want to get a WDH added to my TV (2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ 6500lb tow capacity) for when I go to pickup the trailer. The problem is, I'm having a tough time finding all the necessary information, and the trailer isn't accessible for me to check.
  • Can anyone tell me what's the tongue height of a Roo 21RS?
  • Secondly, what size ball will I require, a 2-5/16"?
  • For a trailer that small (4050lbs dry, 21'8" long), should I get sway control, or wait and see how well the wdh works first?
  • The local shop I'm getting the wdh from says I'll be fine with the 600lb tongue weight version, eventhough the ForestRiver.com website says my tongue weight is 594lbs. Should I get an 800lb wdh instead, or is the 600lb wdh really sufficient?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. We can't wait to get out and enjoy our new Roo!
RockyMtnHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:54 AM   #2

You won't know the tongue height till you get there - sorry. It'll be ok this one time if it isn't perfectly level the first trip to the house. I suggest you keep a high weight-rated capacity adjustable shank in the tool box for just such a scenario. You likely will need a 2-5/16" ball. For a short distance home, you will be OK with an unloaded trailer. As long as you have a brake controller. If you have to tow with an unlevel trailer it is better to have the front trailer end lower than the back. You must get your rig leveled as soon as possible.

I venture to say most or all here will suggest you get the best sway control hardware you can. You can always move it to your next new trailer down the road.
I prefer the cam style WD hitch with trunnion style bars like these:

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...ese/66074.html

But I have used friction type controllers in a case like yours and it worked well.

On the wd bars, I had to make the same choice you did given a trailer tongue weight of 600 lbs. I went with the 800 lb bars. You will add batteries and gear that will affect tongue weight during periods of turning, breaking, manuevering, and road conditions and your equipment should be over rated for safety. If it weighs 600 now, check the tongue weight when it's loaded before you invest in the bars you're looking at. The bars are designed to perform the way they do up to 600 lbs, for example. Over that load, they flex too easily and get springy, and cannot efficiently transfer weight to the front tow vehicle axle.
turbopuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:01 AM   #3
Site Team

call RVW and ask all these questions and then order a Equalizer WDH with built-in sway control for $459 delivered.

don't bother with an inferior WDH that uses a friction bar for sway control.
and RVW can answer all your ROO questions since they are the #1 Roo dealer in the country and the cheapest for the Equalizer. you'll need a brake controller if you don't have one, so order a Prodigy for about $90.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:21 AM   #4

Thanks very much all.

Excellent points about the extra tongue weight as I am planning to swap my 12-volt battery for 2 6-volts, and will be looking at bike rack options, etc. Considering the rear slide on the 21RS and what I've ready here, I won't be mounting a receiver and bike rack on the rear of the Roo, so all these things would impact the weight of the tongue or back of the vehicle, so I'll definately go for the 800 lb wdh.

Already got a Prodigy, but it's going to start earning it's keep now, unlike before when it was hooked up to a 1400lb tent trailer!

I'll probably look to a Roo dealer closer to home to ask those questions. But the local dealer in the area isn't exactly known for stellar customer service!

I appreciate the advice and welcome any other tips you guys can offer.
RockyMtnHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnHigh View Post

• Can anyone tell me what's the tongue height of a Roo 21RS?
  • Secondly, what size ball will I require, a 2-5/16"?
  • For a trailer that small (4050lbs dry, 21'8" long), should I get sway control, or wait and see how well the wdh works first?
  • The local shop I'm getting the wdh from says I'll be fine with the 600lb tongue weight version, eventhough the ForestRiver.com website says my tongue weight is 594lbs. Should I get an 800lb wdh instead, or is the 600lb wdh really sufficient?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. We can't wait to get out and enjoy our new Roo!
1st of all:

I can't answer all of your questions, but I will attempt a couple.

I agree with Turbopuppy with the sway control. Get a sway control that is incorporated into the WDH like the Reese Straight Line or Equalizer.

Again agreeing with Turbopuppy, I think your best bet would be the 800 lb. bars. The listed tongue weight on my trailer is 559 lbs., but I regularly travel with 700 lbs. on the bars, and depending on the waste tank load, can be close to 800 lbs. I sometimes feel that my 800 lb bars don't give me enough lift. Most 800 lb. bars are good for tongue weights from 400 to 800 lbs. So if your trailer tongue is actually around 600 lbs., that is right in the middle of the limits.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote