Old 01-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Here is a thread I posted a couple of years ago: Weight Stats

I used the local quarry scales for those weights, and had another WDH setup at the time.

If you notice the truck weight with the WDH in place vs. the truck weight without the WDH, there is a 120 lb. difference. If you look at the trailer axle with and without the WDH, there is a 140 lb. difference. That 20 lb. difference between those 2 weights are because the truck scales are in 20 lb. increments......things get rounded off like that sometimes.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #22
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMovies View Post
Because if a 100 lbs shifts from the tongue to the TT axle wouldnt I theoretically lessen my TV GVWR by 100 lbs. Like I said...correct me if I'm wrong. Just about the time I feel like I'm getting this...I realize something else.
The weight restriction for the GVWR is basically what the frame is rated for. As in the illustration the FRAME still is strained for the full load on it. It is just where on the 3 (or 4) sets of wheels that weight is supported.

The GVWR is the full weight of the TV + payload which includes the full tongue weight of the camper. The wheel barrow still has 100 pounds in it even though the man is supporting 25 pounds of that load. The limitation is the frame of the wheel barrow.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #23

Okay...

So this started off as a thread asking what my hitch ratings are and has progressed from there. I'm happy with the progress btw.

This all seems to be making more sense and I think will really come together when I pick up my TT, get it home, load it up, then get it to the scales. I sure hope RV Wholesalers does a good with the WDH setup. I will be standing right there with them as I need to learn how this thing works so I can make some adjustments if I so choose.

Should I be a little worried that I may turn into someone like you both (herk & mtnguy). Crunching numbers and getting into the engineering of all this is turning out to be more than a little addictive! I havent even picked up the TT yet!!

http://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Should I be a little worried that I may turn into someone like you both (herk & mtnguy). Crunching numbers and getting into the engineering of all this is turning out to be more than a little addictive! I havent even picked up the TT yet!!
Warmovies,

Be very, very worried.

I kid you, of course. BTW - you can't go wrong emulating Herk and Mtnguy.

Great idea to make sure you observe the WDH setup at RVW. The hitch will need to be adjusted again by you whenever you dramatically change the weight of the trailer such as after fully loading for a trip. Ask them what you need to adjust down the road and have them demonstrate the procedure. You can prepare ahead of time by reading the online manual.

Have a good one!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Should I be a little worried that I may turn into someone like you both (herk & mtnguy).
Of course not. However, for the first few (maybe one season) trips and especially if you plan on a LONG trip, make weighing a "before departure procedure".

Once you get a feel for how its loaded, what it weighs, how it handles at that weight, you can back off. Knowing what you need to do to get the best handling and longevity of your toys is all this exercise is about.

GFB you should go crazy like me (and I am certifiably off my cams), but then when somebody asks, "Can I tow this; with that", you can at least be confident when you answer.

You don't follow the forum to see what problems others have (like watching a car race just to see the crashes), you come to learn how they SOLVED them.

That way you will know how to solve that problem if it should happen to you.

Knowing how to safely load and tow your camper is not an exercise in bleeding. It is just one step in responsible camping. Being safe and sane on the road means more hours of "Happy Camping" and less worrying about getting there (white knuckle driving).

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Warmovies,

Be very, very worried.

I kid you, of course. BTW - you can't go wrong emulating Herk and Mtnguy.

Great idea to make sure you observe the WDH setup at RVW. The hitch will need to be adjusted again by you whenever you dramatically change the weight of the trailer such as after fully loading for a trip. Ask them what you need to adjust down the road and have them demonstrate the procedure. You can prepare ahead of time by reading the online manual.

Have a good one!
I have already seen online installation videos for the Blue Ox WDH but am unable to find user manual. I have seen the installation instructions. If they arent the same I wonder if anyone can help me find the manual.

As for emulating others I'm a big believer in mentoring. We learn from others even if we dont think we are and its good to start off with healthy habits because inevitably we will fall into patterns of behavior.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have already seen online installation videos for the Blue Ox WDH but am unable to find user manual. I have seen the installation instructions. If they arent the same I wonder if anyone can help me find the manual.

Looks like the installation and user manual are 1 and the same: Trailer Hitch Instructions For DrawTite, Reese, Hidden Hitch & More - etrailer.com

You will probably need the BXW1000 with that trailer.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Of course not. However, for the first few (maybe one season) trips and especially if you plan on a LONG trip, make weighing a "before departure procedure".

Once you get a feel for how its loaded, what it weighs, how it handles at that weight, you can back off. Knowing what you need to do to get the best handling and longevity of your toys is all this exercise is about.
I have a handful of adventures already planned including the annual trip to Wyoming (2000 RT towing miles). I'm a little nervous but I also realize I will have towed it 700 miles home from OH in March and had it out three times before I head out west. I've never towed a trailer with brakes either. That will be something to get used to as well.

Quote:
GFB you should go crazy like me (and I am certifiably off my cams), but then when somebody asks, "Can I tow this; with that", you can at least be confident when you answer.
Crazy is better than stupid...or at least I think it is. If you have camped long enough you do some stupid things. I usually dont repeat them and especially if I've damaged something because of it. I put up an awning for the popup in heavy South Dakota prairie winds because I'm the boss and no silly wind is going to stop me. Wind caused me some damage and bent a couple poles really bad. The rest of the family watched me struggle and fight till things went haywire and then they just shook their head as I tried to straighten the poles.

Quote:
You don't follow the forum to see what problems others have (like watching a car race just to see the crashes), you come to learn how they SOLVED them.

That way you will know how to solve that problem if it should happen to you.
Thats an excellent philosophy. Taken right from a book I read and something I've adopted myself. Life isnt about avoiding problems rather its about solving them and overcoming obstacles. When I was younger difficult things used to frustrate and anger me. Now I see them as opportunities for growth. Turn on a light in the camper and it doesnt come on. Find out why its not turning on and resolve the issue. Dont let it ruin the trip but rather help with the next one and use that experience to help with someone else's trip. The beauty of this world we live in (online forums like this) is think of the resources that are available that werent not that many years ago. I've been camping since I was six weeks old and the way I do camping hasnt changed the last 43 years. I take the family out and we get away from "people" but its other "people" who are helping me more than ever to achieve that.

One final thought...
I went into a Chevy Dealership today and got myself a couple extra keys made. I also inquired about getting a TIRE/LOAD/CERTIFICATION label. There is none on my van. Manager/Salesman there wondered why I needed one. I told him I needed to know my RAWR and FAWR ratings for my van to help with towing. He asked how heavy my trailer is. 4500 pounds empty. "You got nothing to worry about. In fact you could tow a trailer WAY bigger." I started talking about the vans GVWR, tongue weight, the GCWR and using a WDH hitch. I told him I was actually very close to my limits. He got very quiet and his eyes started to gloss over. The guy in parts/service jumped in and said "we dont get that technical here". Nice guys and all but it was a nice guy like that at a camper place that helped me into this situation in the first place when he told me that my E-150 could tow a big hybrid with NO PROBLEMS. He read me off the maximum trailer towing capacity and that was it. I know better now but only after buying a new TV and hours of research here. :-)