Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #1

Hitch Recommendation

Afternoon Folks,

First post and I need some help. I have a 2013 Rockwood Signature Ultra lite 5th wheel that we love but I'm having issues with the camper coming in contact with the bed rails of my truck. Truck is a '06 Silverado Crew cab, 4x4 Duramax and the hitch is a Pullrite Super Glide. I have less then 5" clearance between the camper & bed rails. I frequently camp in the mountains of VA/WV and the problem occurs when I come off of the hard surface road. There is a change in grade that causes the front of the truck to drop and the rear to come up way to close to the camper. Couple of times it has actually hit denting the bed rails. Makes for a very tight situation dealing with trying to prevent damage and listening to the wife's chatter.

I haven't taken the rig to the local hitch dealer being that the camper is presently winterized/covered but I need to resolve this before spring.

Anyone have the same problem or any suggestions on different hitches that might increase the rail distance? I though about putting air bags on the camper but the axle set up will not allow this.

Thanks for your time.
SamR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Didn't your camper come with the Revolution pinbox? I believe that they been standard on all Rockwood/Flagstaff 5ers since mid 2010. I don't have one but can't the pinbox be lowered a set of holes to give you more clearance?

Is the camper sitting level when hooked up?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:15 PM   #3

I had the same issue on a 2013 Chevy. I bought a 3" SuperGlide lift kit, about $125. It was easy to install and no more problems.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #4

I had Reese 16k.I had a 2007 gmc lifted truck and had 8" of clearance of the bed rails.
reese was all the way up.
Now I have a 2007.5 chevy dually with the goose neck hitch in it.So had to by reese hi rise hitch that adapts to the goose neck.And only have may be 5 " of clearance .Plus my access lorado cover gets shredded on tight turns .I need to also figure out what I can do now.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #5

Thanks Folks for your response.

Yes, the camper is level when hooked up. I have the Revolution pin box and can drop it probably an inch+ but that's going to throw the nose of the camper up. I was not aware of the lift kit but that's going to put the nose up even higher. It seems like that is my only option.

Thanks again.

Sam
SamR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch