Old 03-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #11

My camper is 30' and around the same loaded weight. I use a 4pt Equalizer hitch because that is what I could afford and it works fine for me. Nothing to unhook backing in. I have used the friction type before on other campers but does not compare to my current hitch.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Matt,
Good to hear some real-life experiences comparing the two. The only item I feel important to point out is that you are towing with a 1-ton truck and he is towing with a 1/2 ton.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #13

I hate to say this but with that length of trailer and a 1/2t truck I would definitly recomend a Hensley or a ProPride.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead1250 View Post
Glad this came up because I have an opinion. I borrowed a WDH w the 1,000 lb bars and single anti-sway brake from a friend, who set it up properly, for my trip from Albuquerque to Phoenix just last week. I have a ball hitch with two anti-sway friction bars and wanted to see what I was missing. For the last three years thatís all Iíve used in addition to my Firestone air bags. I usually have an 800 lb quad plus gear in the bed of my truck and camper fully loaded at about 6k. Hereís my take on the WDH. I felt absolutely no difference over using my ball hitch with dual sway bars. I really wanted to feel I needed this new hitch and spend the money but canít justify the $400 or so when I felt absolutely no benefit over my setup. Hwy speed at 65mph was as stable as using my setup. Ok there it is. Just my .02 cents worth.
Thanks for all the comments guys. Oh boy, just when I was clear in my mind the opposite side pulls in.
@ rotorhead1250 Is the reason you felt no difference because of your F350? With a lighter F150 and heavier trailer, you would have noticed??
Old 03-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doering View Post
Hensley may have the competition beat marginally on the sway control, but the price does not make the unit cost effective. .
Please don't take this as aurgumentative. We all have to make our own choice on what works for us. That being said, I read this comment alot. Now my question is this.
What point is something cost effective?

You have what 35K plus invested in a trailer? You have a nice truck 25-30k or more? You have your personal safety as well as the safety of your family member riding in the truck.

If you really believe that a Hensley hitch provides better control of the vehicle, how do you not justify around $2500 for the best hitch system that will outlast the trailer and still have a high resale value.

Now that seems like a small investment that is pretty cost effective to me.

Just my 2 cents worth. Nothing more - nothing less. Since you asked for opinions, something to think about.
2015 Ford F350 Crewcab Lariat Diesel
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Matt,
Good to hear some real-life experiences comparing the two. The only item I feel important to point out is that you are towing with a 1-ton truck and he is towing with a 1/2 ton.
Scott, your attention to detail is impeccable! And I guess that has a lot, if not all to do with my seat of the pants findings. Yep, truck outweighs trailer by about 2,000lbs.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments guys. Oh boy, just when I was clear in my mind the opposite side pulls in.
@ rotorhead1250 Is the reason you felt no difference because of your F350? With a lighter F150 and heavier trailer, you would have noticed??
I did use a 2009 F150 with the max trailer tow package (11,300 #) with the same hitch and same trailer. Just bought a 2012 F350 and yes, I felt a difference with same same set up except for TV. (I know you asked rotorhead, hope ok to butt in)
Old 03-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Doering, I can't honestly answer but suspect it may have made a difference. I havent weighted my tongue (haha) to see what it weights attached. Book says only 420 so with both gas bottles full and battery maye 500/550.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #19

I second an equalizer hitch IMO. I have used the traditional 2 bars with chains and friction sway control for over 15 years and the equalizer is much better. My TT is also over 34 ft long.
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #20

Just my personal experience from going from one hitch type to another.
I had a 2005 Keystone Outback 25' around 5400#. I used a Curt weight distribution hitch 1000#/10,000# (bars and chains) and a brake controler without a sway bar until I almost wrecked with a E-250 cargo van when the trailer sway got out of control. The trailer on it's last pivot was @ 8:00 to the van @ 60 mph. Somehow, it got straightened out and all the was needed was to clean up all the stuff that got thrown around in the camper and of course I could have used a fresh pair of underpants.
I added 1 friction type sway bar to the setup but still would have the feeling that the trailer got squirrely in big winds and the semi's would suck it in.
I traded in the van because I felt it was not the right TV for the job. Always white knuckle, 2 hands on the wheel.
I bought the 2011 F-250 with integrated anti-sway, brake control, tow and heavy duty service pkg. It pulled the trailer much better power wise but the trailer still had the same tow issues.
Last Saturday, I traded in the old trailer and bought a 34' 2011 Coachman Express 295RLDS (I think about 1000# heavier) and upgraded to the Equalizer 4 point with built in sway control. Man, what a difference. I was driving @ 65mph in winds and snow with 2 fingers on the wheel. The trailer and hitch was night and day. The semi's did not even budge the trailer, the winds I could feel push the trailer like a sail but did not contribute to any type of sway condition.
Although I have only towed with the new trailer and hitch for 40 miles home from the dealer, I feel that this new hitch setup will make for much nicer trips to and from our campgrounds around Ohio. The difference in price was around $300 more for the equalizer but not having white knuckles is priceless.
Good luck with which ever setup you go with.
crunchman

crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote