Old 03-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #1

Hitch selection (too many!)

Okay, so the TT is on order (Flagstaff 832 IKBS (35') will be about 8000lbs loaded and ready to roll). Now I must select a hitch. The dealer regularly installs Reese and Husky. They are not pushing for any type of hitch. They will order another brand if I desire.
The salesman used to deliver trailers from the factory to the dealers. He has pulled several trailers up to 40 feet and 11,000lbs. He really believes that there is very little cost effectiveness when purchasing one of these newer and more expensive hitches like the Reese dual cam or the Husky centerline hitch. He swears by the standard link WD hitch and a sway control bar (friction type). Main disadvantage is that it should be removed when backing up. (Simple to do - just 2 pins and the bar comes off)

Iíve read so many forums and there really is no clear winner based on advantages and disadvantages. Hensley may have the competition beat marginally on the sway control, but the price does not make the unit cost effective. So, I am willing to hear more arguments or preferences (based on this weight and length of trailer) before I pick the phone up and call the dealer with my decision. TV is an F150 Eco (Max tow & HD payload).

Old 03-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
daydreaming about camping

Point one - the opinion of a former driver who deliver TT's to dealers is not representative of any camper's actual experience. He undoubtedly had many hours and miles on the road in experience which most of us will never have. He used a 1 ton at least dually truck set-up to tow. And finally, he towed on the highway from point a to point b, nothing like pulling a trailer into a campground/storage etc.

My dealer gave me the same line and installed a Reece Pro WDH with single friction sway bar on a 38 ft trailer. It sucked. I upgraded to the Reece Straight Line Dual Cam systems and the difference is tremendous. I would recommend one of the more capable systems (the Reece, Husky and Equalizer all get good reviews.)

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I bet that guy who towed from the factory to the dealers lot and swears by the standard link WD hitch and a sway control bar was driving a 1-ton dually. (edit - I see that Jeeplj8 said the same thing. Its because its probably true. Those guys don't know what they will be towing next so they cover all of their bases with a big truck).

Frankly, I think its crazy to use that type of WDH on an 8,000lbs trailer. I highly recommend that you go with a WDH than integrates sway control. Its just a few bucks more and more convenient to use.

I like the Equal-i-zer. Easy to adjust on your own, no holes to drill, easy to get parts if something failed. The drawback is that installation requires a really big torque wrench that most here do not own but this shouldn't effect you if the dealer is doing it. Also, the hitch can be noisy, but that is taken care of through some pads for a few bucks more.

I also like the Reese Dual Cam and many folks here have used it successfully. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those two.

Then there's Blue Ox, Andersen, and Husky. I'm less familiar with those. Many people like Blue Ox, Andersen is fairly new and has had mixed reviews (some love it and some have had problems), and Husky has been around for awhile but I'm less familiar with them.

Propride and Hensley are the premium hitches. Many say its worth the upfront cost, especially with a very heavy trailer like yours.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doering View Post

Iíve read so many forums and there really is no clear winner based on advantages and disadvantages. Hensley may have the competition beat marginally on the sway control, but the price does not make the unit cost effective. So, I am willing to hear more arguments or preferences (based on this weight and length of trailer) before I pick the phone up and call the dealer with my decision. TV is an F150 Eco (Max tow & HD payload).
Just so you no Hensley does not control sway, there is no sway when you tow with a Hensley.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
I bet that guy who towed from the factory to the dealers lot and swears by the standard link WD hitch and a sway control bar was driving a 1-ton dually. (edit - I see that Jeeplj8 said the same thing. Its because its probably true. Those guys don't know what they will be towing next so they cover all of their bases with a big truck).

Frankly, I think its crazy to use that type of WDH on an 8,000lbs trailer. I highly recommend that you go with a WDH than integrates sway control. Its just a few bucks more and more convenient to use.

I like the Equal-i-zer. Easy to adjust on your own, no holes to drill, easy to get parts if something failed. The drawback is that installation requires a really big torque wrench that most here do not own but this shouldn't effect you if the dealer is doing it. Also, the hitch can be noisy, but that is taken car of through some pads for a few bucks more.

I also like the Reese Dual Cam and many folks here have used it successfully. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those two.

Then there's Blue Ox, Andersen, and Husky. I'm less familiar with those. Many people like Blue Ox, Andersen is fairly new and has had mixed reviews (some love it and some have had problems), and Husky has been around for awhile but I'm less familiar with them.

Propride and Hensley are the premium hitches. Many say its worth the upfront cost, especially with a very heavy trailer like yours.
Most decent auto parts stores will loan a torque wrench, or rent for a nominal fee. Or you could post up and see if there is a FROG member close by who has one and will loan to you. Don't let that scare you away from the hitch if that is the one you choose.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
Most decent auto parts stores will loan a torque wrench, or rent for a nominal fee. Or you could post up and see if there is a FROG member close by who has one and will loan to you. Don't let that scare you away from the hitch if that is the one you choose.
I agree. Also, almost any neighborhood mechanic will have one as well. That's what I did. Mine tightened for free or maybe a six-pack (I can't remember). Just saying a little extra planning is needed if someone wants to install an Equal-i-zer themselves.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #7

Get what you want. If you don't like it then try something else. There are plenty of hitch threads to browse through.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Okay, so the TT is on order (Flagstaff 832 IKBS (35') will be about 8000lbs loaded and ready to roll). Now I must select a hitch. The dealer regularly installs Reese and Husky. effective.
It is my understanding that when using a Husky Centerline, the tow vehicle and trailer must be in a straight line to hook up the WDH. I think that would be a big disadvantage.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Okay, so the TT is on order (Flagstaff 832 IKBS (35') will be about 8000lbs loaded and ready to roll). Now I must select a hitch. The dealer regularly installs Reese and Husky. They are not pushing for any type of hitch. They will order another brand if I desire.
The salesman used to deliver trailers from the factory to the dealers. He has pulled several trailers up to 40 feet and 11,000lbs. He really believes that there is very little cost effectiveness when purchasing one of these newer and more expensive hitches like the Reese dual cam or the Husky centerline hitch. He swears by the standard link WD hitch and a sway control bar (friction type). Main disadvantage is that it should be removed when backing up. (Simple to do - just 2 pins and the bar comes off)

The drivers who deliver units for the Factorys do NOT have (Camping Gear Setup,water,propane) so it is a False camping tow setup. This does NOT impress me at all! Youroo!!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #10

Glad this came up because I have an opinion. I borrowed a WDH w the 1,000 lb bars and single anti-sway brake from a friend, who set it up properly, for my trip from Albuquerque to Phoenix just last week. I have a ball hitch with two anti-sway friction bars and wanted to see what I was missing. For the last three years that’s all I’ve used in addition to my Firestone air bags. I usually have an 800 lb quad plus gear in the bed of my truck and camper fully loaded at about 6k. Here’s my take on the WDH. I felt absolutely no difference over using my ball hitch with dual sway bars. I really wanted to feel I needed this new hitch and spend the money but can’t justify the $400 or so when I felt absolutely no benefit over my setup. Hwy speed at 65mph was as stable as using my setup. Ok there it is. Just my .02 cents worth.