Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2018, 02:57 PM   #1

Hitch Set up - Reese Pro 1000 (#49903)

Posted on Facebook wanted to post here as well...
GMC Canyon - Mini Lite 21009S

Hitch set up by dealer.
Front fender raised 1/4"
Rear down 1/4/"

Trailer sits level, but lost 140 lbs on front axle. Everything else load wise is fine axle weights, tongue weights, etc.

Should I adjust hitch due to weight loss on front axle?
SquiggyFreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquiggyFreud View Post

Hitch set up by dealer.
Front fender raised 1/4"
Rear down 1/4/"

Trailer sits level, but lost 140 lbs on front axle. Everything else load wise is fine axle weights, tongue weights, etc.

Per the Canyon owner’s manual, the WDH should be adjusted to return the front to the same height when hitched as it is when unhitched. If you can add that 1/4” back without much effort then it would be good to try, but with that little difference front to rear I wouldn’t be too worried.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:39 PM   #3

Would adjusting another link do that or would I need to reset the hitch ball? Currently on 3rd link.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Would adjusting another link do that or would I need to reset the hitch ball? Currently on 3rd link.
Wouldn't hurt to try another link, beyond that I couldn't tell you since I don't use that kind of WDH with my Canyon and trailer.

If you do another link and end up with the rear level or raised then I would go back to the way you had it, better to have more weight on the rear and a little light on the front than to over-adjust and have too little weight in the rear as that makes it a lot easier to jackknife suddenly.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #5

Not sure which year Canyon the OP has but the 2018 Canyon/Colorado now only recommends recovering half the distance at the fender.
Dustyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyhd View Post
Not sure which year Canyon the OP has but the 2018 Canyon/Colorado now only recommends recovering half the distance at the fender.

There is no functional/mechanical change between my 2017 and 2018 that would cause that change, if that’s the case then that’s a printed change only.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:23 PM   #7

Old 10-16-2018, 05:00 PM   #8

Quote:

Hitch set up by dealer.
Front fender raised 1/4"
Rear down 1/4/"

I had almost same numbers with mine...different brand of hitch. I added one washer to tip the ball back and kept the same link on chains. Brought the steer axle within 40lbs.
dlink9368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
There is no functional/mechanical change between my 2017 and 2018 that would cause that change, if that’s the case then that’s a printed change only.
This change is probably to gain understeer margin, GM and Ford are both recommending this now on half tons. I think your setup sounds pretty good with not quite retuning to unloaded front height. Much safer than over adjusted.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #10

Quick Update, I never get tired of weighing my camper

I have a Sherline scale, and decided to play last weekend.

Driveway Tongue weight on my camper 750 lbs. All gear loaded minus clothes and food.

Tongue weight with hitch, bars not attached...850 lbs. Front end raised 1/2 inch
Tongue weight with bars attached 3rd link on chain 750 lbs. Front end raised 1/4 inch.
Tongue weight with bars attached 4th link on chain 650 lbs. Front end did not change.

Of course I did not put it all on the CAT scales, but it was good to see how adjustments I made affected the TW.

The only thing that looked odd, was the angle of the hitch when I adjusted it to the 4th link. I don't think adding a washer would help, it appears I would have to remove at least one to fix that but there are only 5 in there now. Instructions didn't mention minimum amount of washers.

Anyhow, after spending about 12 hours behind the wheel towing this TT, I do want to get an equalizer hitch down the road(pun intended). I am not very impressed by the sway control on this hitch.

Tags
hitch