Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #1

Hitch Storage

I dont have a gararge to store my hitch nor do I have the strong back that I once had to lift it in and out of the truck bed. I dont see any harm in storinging it in the trailer pin. My plan is to make a vinal fabric cover. Does anyone else store this way? Issues?
Wally
Old 04-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I've read of people doing that. No problems that I can recall. However, getting it back on the rails might be a bit more of a problem.
Here is a thread for you to read.
Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Fifth wheel to Gooseneck adapter

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Mine stays all year in the truck including the winter...tondeau cover keeps the weather off of it...don't need to add weight for winter traction. It only comes out if I need to carry something that won't fit with the hitch there.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #4

i have a tondeaux cover as well. my hitch stays in year round. My cover is a roll up metal covered vinyl. i installed it spring of 2002.
when i roll and unroll it, i have to have the top part of the hitch horizontal; if it is off, it will catch on the corrugated metal.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
Now a "Top Member"

I tried leaving the hitch on the trailer one time, and it was a royal pain to get back in the truck. As Dave and Jim above, I have a tonneau and keep it in the truck, unless I need to haul something. I bought an engine hoist to lift it out of the back of the truck. It almost works great, but it's a bit short so I still have to grunt a bit to get it to the engine hoist. But from there, it's much easier.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #6

I use my truck haul stuff and my kids sports equipment. I we give a ride to a few freinds its a pain to fit it all around the hitch. We have animals and to load hay in the bed with the hitch in there it will work but the hay gets stuck to the grease and its a mess. I also have the tondeau cover and if I did not need the bed that would work great. Dry and clean.
Wally
Old 04-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #7

I leave mine in the bed most of the time, no tonnaeu. I'll pull it if I need the bed but usually I'll hook my little utility trailer if I need to haul something. Between my DW car and motorcycle in the garage I was tired of always tripping over it. Figure if it starts to looking crappy I can throw a coat of rustoleum on it
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote